APPLESEED

Appleseed

Hikikomori
hey im a new member and i dont normally join forums (only other is anime-england my prof is jin-roh) but it seems no one is discussing the new appleseed thats been floating around the last few days i just watched it yesterday and it was the most intense anime ive seen (and it was great for me cuase the first anime i saw and first manga i read was the old appleseed) but the New appleseed is only aviable RAW (no subs no dubs) does anyone know if its getting subbed? plz any others thats seen it plz talk about it cause i will really value ure opinion

You mean fansubbed? I'm sure it'll turn up eventually.

Personally, I'm going to wait for the official release - if the Japanese DVD has subtitles I'll grab that, if not I'll wait for the UK version.

Edit: just checked CDJapan, apparently the Japanese version doesn't have subs. Bugger. Although, it looks like an awesome package... Might grab it anyway... 300 page artwork/storyboard booklet, 3 discs... Probably well worth the £50.

I'm hoping it'll get some sort of festival related showing in London at least, I've been loooking forward to this for something like a year and a half now. I think the manga was the first I'd ever read and it made me a firm Shirow fan.

Re: my (much) earlier post. I actually did cave in and order the Japanese LE first-pressing DVD. Watched it for the first time last night.

That film is amazing.

Graphically it's unparalleled, and thankfully the plot is simple enough (compared to, say Ghost In The Shell) that I could follow it without subtitles or any previous knowledge of the plot beyond the first few minutes. I'm still not totally sure of why people did the things they did, and the finer points of the science regarding the Bioroids and the Appleseed still escape me, but it was well worth it. The mini-artbook and storyboard book are cool too, and the box is one of the coolest, chunkiest releases I've seen yet. I'm praying that the US/UK release gets treatment like this. Since it's a CGI film, I reckon it will get attention from more than just the anime crowd - which bodes well for limited-edition extras.

I'm glad Optimum Asia got the UK distribution rights for Appleseed.

At least you'll know we'll get a pretty good edition of it (probably two discs I hope). :)

Appleseed is definatley a very stylish and cool Anime, i downloaded the dvd version of the Film (fansubbed) and boy!, was the quality good, but this was months ago, and i know for a fact that torrent link must have been deleted, but dont worry, as it is comming to DVD soon! :wink:

I remember reading the first 2 volumes of the Manga some time ago. I really liked it, although at times it was a bit too complicated for my poor brain to take in all at once.

Other than that, I've seen the original Appleseed movie, but I can't say I liked it.

I'm expecting more of this new one though.

Incidentally, are there any plans for Shirow to actually finish that Manga at some point of has it been abandoned? Because IIRC, there's 4 volumes released now, and there were meant to be another 2. Or is 4 the total series with nothing else planned in the first place?

He hasnt said one way or the other but after 7 years withouy progress its safe to assume he abandoned it in favour of all the ecchi art books

Not a slur on Appleseed in anyway but the CGI animation is very cold and clinical leaving a lot to be desired when compared to traditional anime. Still i can't wait to see this film and I hope they did the original proud.

I bought the original anime last week. It has a good commentary. What I disliked was that the multiped tank floats above the ground. In the new appleseed the tank actually walks and is very cool.

Bought the R1 of this the other month and well WOW!!! :shock:

Superb stuff. The animation is absolutely smokin. 8)

Great story, great animation and an awesome soundtrack all adds up to a superb piece of anime.
The only thing I would have like to have seen is some more of Reiario and Knute out fighting their war.

One of the beat anime titles I've seen this year, as far as pure entertainment goes. :lol:

I only watched it for the LANDMATES, what a cool invention. Love this series, sort of sci-fi fantasy mixed. The original movie was terrible.

Dont bother with the original watch the new one and read the manga.

Btw for those that have seen the movie was anyone else surprised that Yoshi's landmate/motorbike wasnt in it? Shnji Aramaki, the director, pretty much invented the concept of a transforming motorboke and Shirow has said that said landmate was inspired by Aramaki's work (such as the Megaxone 23 Garlands, the Mospeada's and other Ride Armors from Mospeada and the Moto-Slaves from BGC) i found it very strange that there was nothing like it in the movie. Might be in the next one i suppose

Sorry random thoughts

aniki said:
Edit: just checked CDJapan, apparently the Japanese version doesn't have subs. Bugger. Although, it looks like an awesome package... Might grab it anyway... 300 page artwork/storyboard booklet, 3 discs... Probably well worth the £50.

It is very, very rare for a japanese DVD to have english subtitles. I tried this trick to get the Naruto Movie: Rescue the Snow Princess. And failed due to this factor. It was actually one of the Customer Service staff at PlayAsia that told me the fact about japanese dvds and subtitles.

Loved it. Sorry to those who hate it but I liked it. They should have had this on the cinema at the time instead of 'Fantastic Four'. It might then show Hollywood how to make a proper spectacular blockbuster. :-D

Back