Asian Cinema Thread

Pre-ordered the Arrow exclusive version of the Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest 4K UHD box set and also Katsuhito Ishii's box set from Terracotta.

The Bruce Lee one is an interesting box set given that two of the films are not presented in 4K, and while it's just the 40th anniversary disc for Enter the Dragon I actually don't mind given that I own an older version of the film on Blu-ray (the one with the red cover art) and supposedly Warner is doing their own 4K release for the film anyway.

Katsuhito Ishii's box set I knew of the Shark Skin and Party 7 films but I am surprised that Third Window was also able to include more films from his catalogue into the set. Was expecting three films or the third inclusion to be Survive Style 5+ (even though Ishii didn't direct it, it does star Asano himself).

Promise of August and Sorasoi have never even had physical releases in Japan so thr set is a major rescue operation from Third Window.

I’ll likely opt for the Eureka releases versus Discotek on this occasion unless there’s any major differences either way.

Technically Asian as John Woo's first US film.
Was kinda hoping this was one of 88 films promised upcoming JCVD releases but pretty confident they're the MGM ones.

Hard Target [4K Ultra HD] [1993] [Blu-ray] [Region Free] https://amzn.eu/d/5cRD4eJ

(There's also a Steelbook and a DELUXE Steelbook but they're Zavvi exclusive and stupid money)

I discovered August in the Water the other day

I think this is a very good movie. It is by the director of Burst City.

The picture and music summarises it pretty well
Completely forgot that this was even still to be released, wasn't it due last year??
Makes sense to cancel though, I hadn't even heard about the allegations!!
I also just am learning this... unfortunate to hear

88 Films have officially revealed some of their titles for this Summer. There's currently no updates on Jackie Chan's Battle Creek Brawl re-release but what we do have are some interesting film sets.

MonthNameYearDirectorFormat
JulyMagic Cop
(驅魔警察)
1990​
Stephen Tung​
First Print Edition Blu-ray​
AugustThe Postman Fights Back
(巡城马)
1982​
Ronny Yu​
Deluxe Collector's Edition Blu-ray​
AugustTaxi Hunter
(的士判官)
1993​
Herman Yau​
SeptemberThe Long Arm of the Law 1 & 2 Collection
(省港旗兵 / 省港旗兵續集)
1984-87​
Johnny Mak ('84)
Michael Mak ('87)​
Deluxe Collector's Edition Blu-ray​
SeptemberThe Last Blood aka Hard Boiled II
(驚天十二小時)
1991​
Wong Jing​

Notes:
  • Magic Cop - was originally scheduled for June, this Mr. Vampire spin-off is now due a month later.
  • The Postman Fights Back (NEW) - Also known as The Postman Strikes Back, this film originally released by Hong Kong Legends is making its return on Blu-ray.
  • Taxi Hunter - was originally scheduled for July, this Category II film (not III for those confused) is now due for August and rated 15.
  • Long Arm of the Law (NEW) - First two films from the series will be released together in one box set. The first film was produced by Sammo Hung.
  • The Last Blood (NEW) - Advertised as Hard Boiled II despite having nothing to do with the John Woo film, the film makes its return on Blu-ray.

Third Window Films has another Japanese horror/thriller film incoming to the UK with Banmei Takahashi's Door (ドア) from 1988.

With this and more Kiyoshi Kurosawa films incoming (one of which is his 1992 film The Guard from Underground), looking forward to what else TWF has in store.

Damn Arrow are really going stupid with this price! I'm not surprised they didn't announce it before hand as they'd just get laughed at.
£24.99 for a basic standard edition lol

Battle Royale 2 Blu-ray Amazon.co.uk
So they're actually going to release it on its own now. Surprised it took them this long to sort it out.

Damn Arrow are really going stupid with this price! I'm not surprised they didn't announce it before hand as they'd just get laughed at.
£24.99 for a basic standard edition lol

Battle Royale 2 Blu-ray Amazon.co.uk

Sometimes Amazon puts pre-orders up at full RRP. I can’t see BR2 at Terracotta or Arrow’s own store, which suggests that release date might slip.

Sometimes Amazon puts pre-orders up at full RRP. I can’t see BR2 at Terracotta or Arrow’s own store, which suggests that release date might slip.
There's also listings for standard editions of Battle Royale's 4K & DVD (£30 & £25 respectively) due same day 🤷‍♂️ did seem to come out of nowhere and Arrow are normally really good at date announcements so could be Amazon jumping the gun.

Battle Royale UHD [Blu-ray] [Region Free] https://amzn.eu/d/03pxdSo

Battle Royale https://amzn.eu/d/faawR5j

A little Asian Cinema and anime crossover as Hideaki Anno's ridiculously gory Shin Kamen Rider film comes to Prime Video this summer (its 200 countries so I'm assuming UK is one of them)

A little Asian Cinema and anime crossover as Hideaki Anno's ridiculously gory Shin Kamen Rider film comes to Prime Video this summer (its 200 countries so I'm assuming UK is one of them)

Cool I will check it out

Arrow Video have kicked off their yearly Camp Arrow sale (at least on Zavvi & HMV so far) - some good prices for Asian cinema titles including The Executioner Collection for £9.99, & The Street Fighter Trilogy for £11.99.

Back