Ask Arbalest

So, pies, I love me a good pie too. They're my go to at food festivals to take home and cook myself and the Food & Drink Festival we're having here in Manchester this month will be having a pie stall that sell them with mash & peas! Yum.

My pie question here is, are you a proper crust pie person (as in filling encased completely) or can you tolerate/do you like the pies with just like a puff pasty top?

I must have my pie filling encased.

My general thought process is. "if this place can do a good Fish n Chips and a good pie, then it gets two thumbs up from me". It's my only ask. Give me a good pie, or fish n chips, and i'm happy.

It has to be fully encased, definitely. It makes the pie taste even better. I can tolerate it if there is only puff pastry on top if the pastry is well made, but not otherwise.

I'm glad we see eye to eye on pies hehe :)

What's your second favourite pie and where do you tend to buy them from?

I preferably get the independant franchises like Shirleys when they're around/easy to get hold of and that but I do very much enjoy Hollands Meat & Potato and Cheese & Onion ones. I was disappointed with their "Meat" pie but their Pepperd Steak is a fit one too.

I've never dared to make my own, have you?

When it comes to pasties, it's Ginster all the way.

I have pie questions! Mathematical ones at that.
-Danielle- said:
To generalise on the above:

1. Given that your favourite pie is steak, then for each n such that n ∈ ℕ, what is your n-th favourite pie?
  2. Are there any numbers m such that
    • m ∉ ℕ;
    • there is a corresponding member of the set of pies where that pie is your m-th favourite pie?
    (For instance, do you have a π-th favourite pie? Mine is cherry.)

-Danielle- said:
I'm glad we see eye to eye on pies hehe :)

I preferably get the independant franchises like Shirleys when they're around/easy to get hold of and that but I do very much enjoy Hollands Meat & Potato and Cheese & Onion ones. I was disappointed with their "Meat" pie but their Pepperd Steak is a fit one too.

I've never dared to make my own, have you?

When it comes to pasties, it's Ginster all the way.

Hah, yes we need more people to appreciate the proper way to cook a pie.

As for my second favourite? hrm. It's not the same as a regular pie, but i'd go with a Fish pie. The only problem with so many of them is that they basically give you 70% potato 30% fish. Give me a good half n half, trout salmon and prawns for with a buttery sauce. fantastic.

I don't often buy premade ones, so this'll answer both things for you. In our house we generally cook our own from scratch. it's very rare we do fish pie since i'm the only one that'll eat it(plus pricy), but steak pie we cook from scratch. I've not really attempted it yet, but i just need to practice making the pastry and i should be able to do it.

I..don't actually like pasties, hah. I think though that's down to the fact i can't stand onions. Not because of the flavour, but the texture. urgh.

Zin5ki said:
I have pie questions! Mathematical ones at that.
To generalise on the above:

1. Given that your favourite pie is steak, then for each n such that n ∈ ℕ, what is your n-th favourite pie?
  2. Are there any numbers m such that
    • m ∉ ℕ;
    • there is a corresponding member of the set of pies where that pie is your m-th favourite pie?
    (For instance, do you have a π-th favourite pie? Mine is cherry.)

Ah, maths questions. you took your time to find a segway into that zin.
Would that mean steak is somewhere between 1 - n, yet a natural number? hrm. either way, i would answer n = chocolate pie.
as for m, negative pies. which we'll call anything with onions. would not be part of my liked pies.

so, what is my pi favourite pie? er....chicken pie.

mangaman74 said:
Who won the last competition (One Piece The Movie: Strong World)?

I will find out for you! I would have thought that would've been sorted by now. I'll throw out some queries and get back to you asap.

-Danielle- said:
Italian or Indian food?

Hobbies? Weird OCD obsessions?

Italian, i'm not that keen on currys actually.

Hobbies: Bar the obvious two(anime/gaming). erm i used to play golf, though not as much now. I'm quite the fan of taking random walks when i'm back at the flat in edinburgh. Found a nice looking japanese restaurant i think i'll check out when i'm back through next. I quite enjoy drawing, however i don't dare post anything i've done recently because it's so terrible. Writing too when i get round to it XD i'm so bad at keeping my blog up to date.

OCD obsessions? i wanted to say i don't have any, but that's not entirely true. Since my third year at uni, i've had one huge one. My flatmate at the time had left the oven on overnight a couple of times, so it became a habit before sleeping to go and check to make sure it was properly off. Couldn't sleep if i hadn't checked(that's if i knew it had been used that day). So yeah, that's it.

Ath said:
Will either of us ever finish watching Valvrave?

Yes. I don't know how, i don't know when, but we will. It will be a momentous occasion, but probably ignored by the masses.

Hahaha yeah my OCD tends to be with pulling on my door handle at least 5 times once I've locked it so that if I question if I locked by door, I can sort of picture in my mind the 5 times I pulled it to remind and reassure myself I did. Weird huh!!!

I used to proper go to the fridge all the time as if something new would appear or whatever lol but I broke that subconcsiously a while ago. I always get the urge to sort someones hood out if it's inside out too, not that Iv'e ever gone through with it :p

-Danielle- said:
Hahaha yeah my OCD tends to be with pulling on my door handle at least 5 times once I've locked it so that if I question if I locked by door, I can sort of picture in my mind the 5 times I pulled it to remind and reassure myself I did. Weird huh!!!

I used to proper go to the fridge all the time as if something new would appear or whatever lol but I broke that subconcsiously a while ago. I always get the urge to sort someones hood out if it's inside out too, not that Iv'e ever gone through with it :p
I do that with the door handle as well. Even then I still panic that the door isn't locked.

Arbalest said:
Would that mean steak is somewhere between 1 - n, yet a natural number? hrm. either way, i would answer n = chocolate pie.
as for m, negative pies. which we'll call anything with onions. would not be part of my liked pies.
Presumably, a steak and onion pie would correspond to the imaginary constant.

mangaman, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! haha yeah every blue moon I still question if I actually did and ask my mum to go check my door as she lives around the corner :p

Phobos said:
If a turtle lost its shell would it be naked or just homeless?

Both, i'd say. A turtles shell is it's home i think? plus it's protection. so a bit of both in there.

-Danielle- said:

Hah, if i'm on my own, there is no real issues with it at all, however if i'm in a flat/house with someone else, i have to check because i can't tell if it's been used recently or not. Fridge/freezer i don't worry about, but yeah. It's the only OCD-like thing i even do i believe. So there we go.

Zin5ki said:
Presumably, a steak and onion pie would correspond to the imaginary constant.

That would be quite possible, yes. Where Steak Pie + Steak & Onion Pie would negate one another because of their values. Essentially, the onions from one would waste both pies. or 1 + (-1) if you prefer.

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Will you back my plans to make Scotland's currency become Bison Dollars in the event of Scotland being independent?

Back