Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions about life in Japan, please do not laugh at me if someone is telling me lies.

I have been told:

1) clearing the ear of wax is performed not by yourself but by another close family member, and this is done using a special set of instruments.

2) There is a new way to relax that involves placing the feet into a bucket containing fish that will eat away at the hard and dead skin on your feet.

cornixt said:
Thanks for answering all our questions Chris. Maybe you should pretend to be Dutch, can't be many Japanese who can speak that language at you. ;-)

I do sometimes talk gibberish is a language I made up or when people really get me going I talk in REALLY heavilly accented English so they can tell that its English but can't make out what I'm saying. It's childish, but I don't care.

Ear wax removal
There are some people who get it done by someone else. I do it by myself. You can buy these sticks that are about 10-15cm long with a curved scoop at the end that you use to scrape the wax out. The first time you do it you get something that looks like week-old baked-beans energing from your ear, lovely isnt it.

I've only seen that thing with the fish eating the dead skin off your feet on the news. I wouldn't go so far as to say it looked "relaxing" but I'd like to give it a try.

I've only seen that thing with the fish eating the dead skin off your feet on the news. I wouldn't go so far as to say it looked "relaxing" but I'd like to give it a try.

your a brave man Chris, just make sure they're fish in there and not sharks :)

Whats the teenage clothing style over there?

In UK (And im sure you all may have seen this my fellow UK'ers lol) Teenagers wear very baggy trousers, and they wear them very low (known as low backs) theey wear designers shirts such as Ecko or Nike and they tend to be long n big shirts, and the Caps worn are kickass, I love the No Fear and NY Caps, hmm in winter its usually the same but with Hoodies as well.... lol ok ok Teenagers in the UK try to portray themselves as 'gangsters' well this is the most common look

The other look is designer jeans, with designer T shirt and Caps which is usually how I roll nothing tooo flashy yet looks v cool

oh yeah! is it true the Japanese Arcades are 24/7!?

lol oh and chris! one more thing on the teenager scene lol (Yeah Im just a little curious to see how the UK teenage society is compared with other countries) You see, in the UK there was this thing called happy slapping, where (mostly teenagers) randomly abused public in front of a Mobile phone no matter their age or sex, sent around to other people to view. But its calmed down a LOOOT now, but it was at its prime a year or two ago, has Japan seen anything like that or something similar?? Its just I hear Jap Teens are one of the most politest hehe

aaaaaaaaanddd I somehow dunno from who heard that Jap is one of the easiest languages to learn, is this true? Coz my mum thinks its the hardest,

One last thing on my mind is to do with the Game shows in Jap, I've seen a few and maaan are they good! Takeshi's Castle ownz!! but I've also seen a lot of nudity from women on the shows, I was just wondering if they were normal with that in Japan or is it only certain ones

Thanks Chris! Your a Saint!

chaos-unleashed said:
oh yeah! is it true the Japanese Arcades are 24/7!?

lol oh and chris! one more thing on the teenager scene lol (Yeah Im just a little curious to see how the UK teenage society is compared with other countries) You see, in the UK there was this thing called happy slapping, where (mostly teenagers) randomly abused public in front of a Mobile phone no matter their age or sex, sent around to other people to view. But its calmed down a LOOOT now, but it was at its prime a year or two ago, has Japan seen anything like that or something similar?? Its just I hear Jap Teens are one of the most politest hehe

I feel I should clarify, by abused he means beat up to a pulp. It was quite a sick fad.

Remember me? I was the guy who had a strange interest in Japanese Hornet Wasps.

I was re-reading this thread and wanted to know whether your fear came true - did they return to nest in or near your residence?

Cheers.

Arcades
Yeah there are some that are 24/7. I can only think of one though, in Shinjuku.

Happy Slapping
Non-existent here. Thank god. Don't chav's have anything better to do with their time?

Learning Japanese
I found it REALLY easy. Some people find it REALLY hard. I guess its just a personal thing.

Game Shows
Takeshi's Castle died a LOOOOooonng time ago. Thankfully. There are loads of pretty good gameshows. Although most of them only have fomous people answering on them- normal people don't get ratings!
There are quite a few late-night quiz shows/variety shows that have bikini-clad girls as contestants.

Video on Demand
Sorry, never heard of it :?

Dirty great wasps!
Yeah, they did. So, I had to nuke them again. The scary b*****ds :evil: [/b]

No not really. You can get toys and games and some other rather "interesting" things from them. But, to be honest the UK has a better vending machine system than here. But Japan has a LOT of conveniance stores so, vending machines are not really all that important. The only ones I use are for cigs and beer.

i have a question, whats the sport situation like out in japan?
i was wondering what's the most popular sport or team Etc?

thanks.

Chris said:
Happy Slapping
Non-existent here. Thank god. Don't chav's have anything better to do with their time?
You could probably say that is the definition of a chav: someone who literally has nothing (they consider) important or better to do with their time.
Reno said:
i have a question, whats the sport situation like out in japan?
i was wondering what's the most popular sport or team Etc?

thanks.
I believe baseball is largely regarded as the favourite sport of the Japanese. Don't know much about teams and the like myself, given I don't particularly care for sports myself...

Baseball is the No.1 sport in Japan. Football is popular, but nowhere close to baseball.
Forign teams that are popular in Japan change quite rapidly- Japanese people are very fickle so teams that have Japanese players in or teams that are very strong are popular until either, the Japanese player transfers or the team gets weak.

Hey, could you tell me what's the best way to learn Japanese and not speak like a typical bad Japanese speaking western person(that you said they love to hate :lol: ) without actually going to Japan? Preferrably a method available to me from the safety of my computer chair. :lol:

Sage said:
Hey, could you tell me what's the best way to learn Japanese and not speak like a typical bad Japanese speaking western person(that you said they love to hate :lol: ) without actually going to Japan? Preferrably a method available to me from the safety of my computer chair. :lol:

Well from what I know, the method of immersion is the best way of getting the pronounciation right and has been a quick and accurate way of teaching and learning a language succesfully. So what i mean is that if you were to live in the country then you would pronounce the language more accurately and with less of you native tongue's pronounciation. Obviously not everyone's in the position to just up and move to japan so i'd suggest that if your learning Japanese then watch some Jdrama as well as anime. Even listenning to Jrock or pop can help with pronounciation, and this can be done from your computer. I definitely suggest getting hold of some jdrama, try looking into sites like D-addicts.

Oh and there is a podcast i think is called Japanesepod101.com and they release 10 minute or so podcasts from Japan. Its free and feature native japanese speakers as well as an american who is the host and they guide you through learning japanese, steadily building up your knowledge. I think they release different levels of language ability throughout the week with levels ranging from beginer to expert as well as an essential podcast if your just looking to pick up a few things.

I think Chris could probably add to this but i hope this helped even a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back