AUKN Character Battle Round 1, Match 9: Guts/Squid Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure a deal can be struck here maestro.

But someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me.

My vote is for Guts. He's the better character here! Or is it all cuteness over character again? XD

Good to see a bit more Squid Girl support, would be nice to see even more. Where's Sanae when you need her?

If you do need a reason to vote for Squid Girl, making Sanae happy is a good one... Or maybe that'd put some people off (at least Squid Girl herself).

Arbalest said:
My vote is for Guts. He's the better character here! Or is it all cuteness over character again? XD
Under-selling Squid Girl a bit, she's got plenty of character. She'll fight to protect the environment (but in a way that bothers as few people as possible), stand up against discrimination (not being the hero doesn't mean you don't have a valid point) and be a light in the dark when you need it. I don't think she'd be as popular if there wasn't more to her than her (admittedly high level of) cuteness.

-Danielle- said:
GUTS!!!!

Berserk is my all time favourite anime (so far)!!!
I'm guessing that's because you haven't seen Squid Girl yet, there's still time if you hurry.

Hey, Guts is kinda cute too!

Still not sure whether or not I should change my vote. I think both factions should try to sway me with pictures of their favourite.

R

4580852-7822300951-36889.jpg

Just look at him. He's so badass.

Smeelia said:
Arbalest said:
Under-selling Squid Girl a bit, she's got plenty of character. She'll fight to protect the environment (but in a way that bothers as few people as possible), stand up against discrimination (not being the hero doesn't mean you don't have a valid point) and be a light in the dark when you need it. I don't think she'd be as popular if there wasn't more to her than her (admittedly high level of) cuteness.

-Danielle- said:
GUTS!!!!

Berserk is my all time favourite anime (so far)!!!
I'm guessing that's because you haven't seen Squid Girl yet, there's still time if you hurry.

In fairness, i've not actually seen Squid Girl so i can't entirely justify my comment, however Guts is extremely in-depth otherwise. Part of the issue you could say is that, 90% of the time i hear of squid girl it's mostly for the cute side of it than anything other. I don't see me changing my opinion even if i do watch it, purely because Guts is my favourite character in anime and manga, but you never know.

Arbalest said:
In fairness, i've not actually seen Squid Girl so i can't entirely justify my comment, however Guts is extremely in-depth otherwise. Part of the issue you could say is that, 90% of the time i hear of squid girl it's mostly for the cute side of it than anything other. I don't see me changing my opinion even if i do watch it, purely because Guts is my favourite character in anime and manga, but you never know.
The worst part is that my comments would be funnier if you'd seen the anime (maybe still not quite actually funny but I can dream).

I don't think "Cute" precludes the possibility of depth of character/storyline. I suppose it would be the same as writing off Berserk because of the violence. That said, personal taste would be a big factor. I'm not really a fan of violence in general so I'd generally prefer something cute and deep than violent and deep, others will have different priorities. Even so, most people are likely to find at least the odd exception although something that has already struggled to be an exception might have to try even harder to reach "favourite" status.

As to whether Squid Girl qualifies as "cute and deep", there may be some debate. I do genuinely think there's a little more to Squid Girl than may be immediately apparent but I don't think it's necessary to look too deep in order to enjoy Squid Girl.

Now that I think about it, Squid Girl isn't entirely violence free (as Sanae would attest, not that she'd mind). It would be interesting to see Sanae vs Squid Girl, I like Sanae but she'd want me to vote for Squid Girl.

Rui said:

Still not sure whether or not I should change my vote. I think both factions should try to sway me with pictures of their favourite.

R

Go Squid Girl :3

Rena Ryuugu said:
Rui said:

R

Go Squid Girl :3

I've never seen Squid Girl but you may have won me over with that picture :p

Ok, Rena sided with me last time so I'm going to change my vote to Squid Girl.

R

I don't think it's fair to vote when not knowing the other participant but i don't think there is contents here.

My vote goes for Squid Girl.

Kidding, kidding. The vote goes for Guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back