Azimanga Daioh! Your views.

KittySeras

School Idol
Azimanga Daioh, Ive heard some good stuff about this series, Im thinking of buying it too, Id just like to here your views on it before I make a desision.

Its a wonderful series , one of the funniest out there and something where you can easily rewatch your favourite episodes again and again. There are a few episodes I thought were slightly less amusing than others, but really this was in a big minority to the ones ive enjoyed.
The charecters are all great too each one contributing something unique and funny to the show.
The quality of the release in general is good too ( ADV gives little booklet inserts with each release explaining some of the jokes a western audience may not understand ) . Oh and theres reversible covers, which is always a nice plus for a UK release.

Its dubbed and volumes 1-5 are out on UK R2 now ( obviously theyve been out on japanese R2 for ages ) . Volume 6 the last volume is out here in June.

this serie is so funny and cute and theres one guy who abit freaker. The dub on the serie is good too (alot better then i though it would be when i frist watch it.

MangaMinX said:
. Oh and theres reversible covers, which is always a nice plus for a UK release.
Im not sure if they count as reversible really :p

Yeah its a great series (with a great dub too). Worth checking out the 4 volume manga too.

IanC said:
MangaMinX said:
. Oh and theres reversible covers, which is always a nice plus for a UK release.
Im not sure if they count as reversible really :p

Hmm , well I have reversed all mine as I thought the normal covers were very bland :) , the reverse side still has the numbers going down the spine. Surely that counts as reversible? Well even if they dont I still like them that way round!

Just thought I'd say, if anyone wants to get their name on the site, write us an Azumanga Daioh review. It's a great comedy series that transcends the typical high school setting and covers a wide range of emotion. And I'd love to feature it on the site.

Personally, I watched volume 1, and then went back to the Manga instead. I guess that's my personal preference.

As for the reviews, I doubt I'd be able to do a review of that, but if I wrote a review of a title you don't have on the site yet, what would you say to vetting it? Provided I keep it under my current pseudonym anyway. I've always had a minor interest in writing reviews, but it's not something I'd ever want to do on a regular basis (mainly I haven't really got the time).

I'm only on volume 2 at the moment, but I'm really enjoying this show; as I've probably mentioned before I'm not easily impressed by comedy but this just hits the spot. And the cute kitty with a bad temper is just the icing on the cake.

I've always thought of it as being totally over rated and I really don't like any aspect of Azumanga Daioh! I have watched most of it over a period of days but I found it very repetetive and boring!
I'm probably the only person who thinks that way, but I really can't stand it :(

Miaka-chan said:
I've always thought of it as being totally over rated and I really don't like any aspect of Azumanga Daioh! I have watched most of it over a period of days but I found it very repetetive and boring!
I'm probably the only person who thinks that way, but I really can't stand it :(
I wouldn't say i can't stand it, and i've only watched the first volume so far so i can't make any proper judgements but i did find it a little over rated. I thought it got funnier as it went along but i found it a bit lacking as there didn't seem to ba any real storyline. I thought the male teacher was amuzing as he reminded me of my old history teacher, but i didn't think the dub was all that great as all the females seemed to sound like Yolie from the second series digimon dub

i have the entire R1 version dvd's of Azumanga, and maan its worth the watch.
at first you may be like..... is this it? but then after a few minutes that's when the comdy kicks in.
a few eps may be boring but it pays you back with a more funny one later on. its funny, and mostly the jokes are.. umm.. japanese jokes, but it will be easy to understand as ther are small notes that pop up on the screen when they state a japanese related joke.
on the whole watch it, its very funny.

IanC said:
Ninja Boy! said:
but it will be easy to understand as ther are small notes that pop up on the screen when they state a japanese related joke.
I didnt think ADV did that wth Azumanga....

Certainly isnt on my Azumanga DvDs. Its on Excel Saga , Not Azumanga. Azumanga just has the booklet it seems.

Ninja Boy! said:
at first you may be like..... is this it? but then after a few minutes that's when the comdy kicks in.
a few eps may be boring but it pays you back with a more funny one later on.
I found the more I watched, the more I disliked it. I think it was only 6 episodes I didn't watch, because by then I was sick to death of the inane humour. The only part of Azumanga Daioh I enjoyed was the 5 minute movie!!

I emuled the first episode and really enjoyed it... got the first DVD and for the first run through, I thought it was good but felt I was missing something. I rewatched it the other day and found it far more enjoyable second time through. I can't really see how Azumanga can be overrated because really, I've never heard anyone go out of their way to actually rate it and when they do, they give it quite modest but positive reviews. I think it's great stuff - sure it's not a defining moment of anime or anything, but it's good clean fun with a nice cast of varied characters.

soz peeps i got confused with excel saga about the notes popping up, i meant the notes that come with the dvd, that leaflet thingy-magig, soz peeps. iv been doing too much revision lately and i got confused.

Back