BECK

Another thing I cant think about is when BECK is dubbed *shudders*. They should just release with subtitles and no dub track, they shouldnt bother to dub it anyway because its not like it will be shown on tv anytime soon, I cant see Toonami/Jetix putting that on can you?

There would be the same problem with Beck as there was with Gravitation if they dub it. The music will probably still be in Japanese and it always sounds weird when you've listened to everyone talking in English!
I was kinda hoping they'd redo the soundtrack, that would have been a laugh :D

Ramen89 said:
Another thing I cant think about is when BECK is dubbed *shudders*. They should just release with subtitles and no dub track, they shouldnt bother to dub it anyway because its not like it will be shown on tv anytime soon, I cant see Toonami/Jetix putting that on can you?
I'd thank you not to criticise the dub until you've heard it. If you don't want to hear it, then fine; just ignore it, you don't have to listen.

Besides, any anime company would be mad to consider releasing something without a dub. Just look at how fans reacted to the Ghost in the Shell: Innocence movie. I doubt it would be any cheaper, and it certainly wouldn't get released any faster.

I'd thank you not to criticise the dub until you've heard it. If you don't want to hear it, then fine; just ignore it, you don't have to listen.

Are you telling me you actually want one, it will destroy the whole series.

Who ever ends up licensing Beck will have some real problems creating the English dub without liberally changing the story. It's basically a very Japanese anime. Several of the main characters have spent large periods of their lives living in America and it's regularly highlighted that they can (and regularly do) speak in both English and Japanese. A few painful situations in the story arise from the fact that certain characters don't understand/can't speak in English.

These big narrative problems aside, the music played by Beck will be another tricky issue for the English dub. Will they bring in a load of English singers and release their own soundtracks?

And don't forget; the show is called Beck. I'm not sure if the real Beck's record label will be too happy about this.

These problems aside, I hope Beck eventually makes it over here, dubbed or not. It's a great show and one that deserves as much success as possible. But from what I can see and understand about the US anime industry, it will need a lot of changing to be profitable and so I doubt it will be the same show in English that it is in Japanese.

By the way, it would be great if this didn't decend into a knee-jerk sub v dub debate. Let's try and rise above it this time.

A few painful situations in the story arise from the fact that certain characters don't understand/can't speak in English.

Thats a damn good point I never thought of that, thats gonna make the dubbers scratch there heads for a while on what to do.

Ramen89 said:
Are you telling me you actually want one, it will destroy the whole series.
As yet I have not seen the series, and don't really know anything about it. I will repeat again, though: Don't criticise a dub you haven't heard or don't intend to watch. Nothing they do in the English dub will affect the Japanese dub or the subtitles, so if you don't want to see an English dub then you have nothing to complain about.

If you do want to see an English dub, and have genuine concerns about how it could be adapted, that's something worth discussing. Dismissing the possibility of a good adaptation out of hand is simply foolish and ignorant.

As yet I have not seen the series

So why are you even discussing this, If you'd seen the anime then you would know what I'm talking about and agree with me but you havent seen it so I dont wish to continue a discussion about an anime with someone that hasnt even seen the anime in question.

Paul said:
Who ever ends up licensing Beck will have some real problems creating the English dub without liberally changing the story. It's basically a very Japanese anime. Several of the main characters have spent large periods of their lives living in America and it's regularly highlighted that they can (and regularly do) speak in both English and Japanese. A few painful situations in the story arise from the fact that certain characters don't understand/can't speak in English.

They could always do a "Sailor Moon", when the same scenario arose instead of it being Japanese speaking English and vice versa, they replaced it with French :( It certainly didn't have the same appeal as the Japanese version. (and I am kidding BTW).
Originally Marmalade Boy was going to be a subbed only release but they did dub it in the end, which I was very pleased about!

Ramen89 said:
So why are you even discussing this...I dont wish to continue a discussion about an anime with someone that hasnt even seen the anime in question.
If you read my posts, you might notice that I haven't actually said anything about the anime or its English dub, as I haven't seen either; what I'm talking about -- what I'm so dead set against -- is your attitude.

You dismissed an English dub of the show which doesn't even (yet) exist as "destroying the show", and failed to even give any reasons; fortunately for you, Paul supplied some. Also, you implied that this will somehow affect you, despite the fact that you don't have to watch it, and clearly don't want to. Another thing that irritates me is that you seem to have completely ignored my criticism, and have made no attempt to justify your position at all.

I'm discussing this because, believe it or not, I care. I don't want you to have unjustifiable opinions, and have no intention of sitting by and letting you express them without being challenged. I'm also discussing this because, as a fan of English dubs, I object to the suggestion that any such dub is automatically bad.

I happen to think that ignorance is a bad thing. As such, it annoys me (probably more than it should) when people write such baseless, grammatically awful arguments.

Judging by the long[and ongoing!] manga, it would seem uncanny for this series to have 26 episodes -- however, it's known to have a small budget[as evident from the long-distance animation quality].

Either way, i think with episode 25, we've already had our ending. I was sat there, watching it wondering exactly what else they could finish the series off with -- America? I suppose this will involve Koyuki's potential.

Anyway, i have made a start on my scanlations. Thanks for beck, shinsen, sakushi, empire, madhouse. :(

i was just cheking the Tokyopop website the other day, and it said That the BECK manga series will be releasing around the summer time.................kool.

Beckfan.net actually has a count down for the manga release. The manga is really good (bad artwork though) and I think it will be going on for a long time. There is 63 chapters so far (I think).

Back