Best places to buy Gifts for Japanese Fan-girl?

minister3333

Brigade Leader
With Christmas on the distant horizon (I know, I know... it's only October and it sounds like I'm a killjoy for starting present shopping this early, but I have tons of people to get presents for :oops: ) I am putting together a collection of presents for my cousin. She is really into the whole Japanese/Studio Ghibli/Hello Kitty/"that-is-so-cute" type of stuff, so I'm looking for little items/knick-knacks that are in this sort of category, or as my sister describes all such stuff: "Just plain weird".

I found this Ghibli Diary on eBay:
79f7_10.JPG

...but I'm wondering if you can recommend any other online Japanese/Asia/etc stores (e.g. NOT eBay!) where I could find similar items (pens, purses, books, pads, models. etc, etc)?

Cheers.

skikes said:
:)

Yes, the whole eBay thing is proving a bit of a conundrum. I've bought/sold heaps of stuff from/on eBay over the years and had very few problems. I do encounter the odd dodgy Seller, but I'd say about 99% of all my transactions have been fine, with the item being genuine, etc.

However, it seems that anything Anime/Manga/that-culture related on eBay, is either fake, copied or falling apart. :(

Espy said:
www.play-asia.com is the site I use for random Japanese junk.
Cheers for this. I've visited them before, looking at PS2 import games, etc. I'll have to check out their "junk & stuff" section though. :p

So does anyone know of anywhere else online?<BR><BR>

Play Asia = GOOD but expect to wait a couple of weeks for delivery.

I was just thinking wouldn't this thread title be great if you changed "gifts for" with "a"? - "Best places to buy a Japanese Fan-girl?" =D =D

Jayme said:
Just go buy a Haruhi edition of Pocky or something.
Haruhi? Pocky? Er..... pardon?!?

RetroRainbow said:
If she likes 'kawaii' merch, such as sticker sacks and memo pads I know a few good places.
kawaii??? Again, I have no idea what you're talking about.... :(

But yes please: Recommend some places if you can.

Cheers. :)

Haruhi is a character of a series ('Melancholy of haruhi' something like that).
Pocky is those little sticks with chocolate on them (YUM!)
Kawaii is japanese for Cute.

Theres your translations :p Gotta learn these things if you wanna speak to some of the people on this forum haha

Thanks. :)

Please keep the suggestions coming.

www.tokyotoys.com - A bit expensive and seems more aimed at the Japanese Collector (have you seen the prices of their figures/statues?! :eek: I mean, what do you *DO* with them!??!?)
www.neonmartian.com - Kind of the same deal as TokyoToys.
Forbidden Planet - I know very well, but they don't currently carry anything I'm really looking for.... :(

So far, PlayAsia and eBay seem to be my only options....<BR><BR>

Espy said:
Watch out on ebay, you can get a lot of bootleg merchandise. Especially Ghibli merch, which is often hard to come by otherwise.

If you're looking for Ghibli DVDs, then HMV is the best place to buy.

other then that there's japanese merch on JBox.
Just don't buy her any of the VNs, lol

Back