Biggest anime disappointment(s)? (spoilers alert)

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Aion said:
Sanji was referring to their friends and near-enough-family; not the duo themselves.

The guy may be a bit of an idiot but he does have a point; the ending is very poor. Edward left Winry alone; his childhood sweetheart - that isn't what I consider a good ending. Even in the manga (what I've read, anyway), where there seemed to be no romance in the air at first, it seems likely that Ed and Winry will get together at some point.

The film was a good watch but failed to add closure to the TV series, which I assumed was the point of the movie going into it. Original content failure. Really, they should have left it with the TV series, leaving it open.

I'll probably have to agree on this, I just though it sounded like Sanji said at the end they're back to sqaure one. The best part of the movie was the Wrath vs Gluttony fight IMO and even that was short lived.

That fight was certainly the most visually pleasing part of the film. It's just a shame that it was never explained why Glut got a 'giga' power-up. I can only assume eating Dante grants people...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GiCznGaex2c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GiCznGaex2c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Another thing that bugged me was how Mustang moved to the south pole after the end of the TV series. I suppose it's logical, really - moving to the south pole after losing an eye, leaving behind the women who loves you.

Aion said:
That fight was certainly the most visually pleasing part of the film. It's just a shame that it was never explained why Glut got a 'giga' power-up. I can only assume eating Dante grants people...

I thought it was a combination of eating huge amounts of the red stones (I'm too lazy to say "Philosopher's". Hold on a minute...)
and what ever Dante did to his Ouroboros tattoo

Aion said:
Another thing that bugged me was how Mustang moved to the south pole after the end of the TV series. I suppose it's logical, really - moving to the south pole after losing an eye, leaving behind the women who loves you.

I didn't remember that at all!

EDIT//

Just seen that part. Wow, you could say the movie tied up some loose ends, but it was all for the worse... I was content with the ending of episode 52

When I think about biggest disappointment, I'm not thinking about a series that I thought I'd like but I hated. It's more down to me hyping it up and hearing a lot of positive reviews about it but it never really reaching that 'elite level'.

Therefore, for me, I'd have to say Kino's Journey. I really tried to get into this series and it certainly had it's moments but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I can't really pinpoint what it was about the series since I enjoyed others similar to it. It's probably one I need to watch again at some time.

As far as endings are concerned, Gantz is one that disappoints. I've also gotta say that I wanted the Death note ending to go the other way, if you know what I mean but that's only a very minor 'disappointment', it doesn't take away from the series at all.

Yuvie said:
Therefore, for me, I'd have to say Kino's Journey. I really tried to get into this series and it certainly had it's moments but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I can't really pinpoint what it was about the series since I enjoyed others similar to it. It's probably one I need to watch again at some time.
I kind of feel this way too. But I'm only half way through the series, early days yet.

Wow...this thread reminds me of an awful lot of DVDs that could do with a trip to the landfill.

Totally agree on FMA: Conqueror of Shambala - it remains one of the few movies I've only ever had the patience to watch halfway. It took a cool and simple series with gorgeous bright designs....and turned it into a dull brown mess. It felt robbed of all the fun tinged with darkness that the series pulled off...which is a shame, really.

As for Nadesico.....why would you change the tone of a successful series so much for a movie?

As for the single biggest disappointment, though? Wonderful Days.

It looked fantastic, and we'd heard great things....and good god it turned into one of the longest animesoc meetings I have ever sat through. You know it's bad when the one guy who will watch anything was trying to figure out the mix of motorcycle noises being used instead of actually watching the film. Such a shame, too, the animation was absolutely beautiful too.

Back