Bleach ?

Miaka-chan said:
I prefer a friendly phonecall to actually ordering online, besides I don't have a card of any description (except my Boots advantage card :lol: ). I always phone my order in to UP1 and usually end up having a long chat with the great guys who run the place!! Monday I ended up chatting for 1/2 an hour about new yaoi manga releases and the lack of decent shoujo anime releases :lol:
Do they actually care about what you are saying, and chat back with you etc? Sounds like a friendly place, and my kind of thing because i don't have a card either.
So i finally finished my download, for a while i couldn't understand what i had to do with it then, and then i had some difficulty actually finding the file. But i have now officially watched the first episode of Bleach and my first ever fansub. I have to say i really enjoyed it, i had a bit of trouble keeping up with what they were saying sometimes as i do if ever i watch anything thats subbed, but all in all i found the storyline very good, the characters very interesting and well designed, and i hope to now spend another day and a half downloading the next episode

And hay, i actually finally figured out how to quote properly....i think

Charter_Mage said:
Do they actually care about what you are saying, and chat back with you etc? Sounds like a friendly place, and my kind of thing because i don't have a card either.

It wasn't me that had initiated the conversation! It was me that had to get ready to go shopping but it was the great guy at UP that kept me chatting for 30 minutes!
As long as you speak to the right one - one is chattier than the other! - you can ask about anime and manga and they will help as much as they can!

http://www.up1.co.uk/up.nsf that's the website!

Charter_Mage said:
So i finally finished my download, for a while i couldn't understand what i had to do with it then, and then i had some difficulty actually finding the file. But i have now officially watched the first episode of Bleach and my first ever fansub. I have to say i really enjoyed it, i had a bit of trouble keeping up with what they were saying sometimes as i do if ever i watch anything thats subbed, but all in all i found the storyline very good, the characters very interesting and well designed, and i hope to now spend another day and a half downloading the next episode

You'll get used to the speed of subtitles! I remember when I first watched a subbed anime (about 6 years ago, it was Plastic Little), I missed half of it trying to read the subs!
Really glad you enjoyed Bleach, I was hooked from the first episode, although I think it took some people a little longer :D

I have just finished watching episode 21, it was brilliant and so funny in parts. I nearly wet myself when the giant dude Jidanbou starts crying because Ichigi broke his axes!!
What does everyone else think of Ichigo's new soulslayer? It definitely looks strange with no hilt but talk about cool :D It reckon it looks like that as to be completely set apart from any other soulslayer we're going to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, i forgot to ask last time. I was wondering how long you usually leave the download window open after you've finished with the download Miaka-chan (or anyone one else).

Colin said:
I tend to order manga from http://www.amazon.co.uk. They're considerably cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, fairly fast (with what they have in stock), and offer free delivery on orders worth over £19. The only problem I have is finding what I want; they seem to have issues with labelling things properly.

I've noticed that too, the best thing to do is find the ISBN number for the volume you want (Anime Online usually has them listed), then use that for the Amazon search. Just watch out for the Spanish language volumes of Naruto they seem to be selling these days (unless you want in Spanish, of course).

This thread is really making me want to take a look at Bleach, I can't d/l on the uni network but maybe when I get home the inferior AOL connection will co-operate (it is broadband, just the slowest, cheapest connection, or should I say 'disconnection' half of the time).

Charter_Mage said:
Oh yeah, i forgot to ask last time. I was wondering how long you usually leave the download window open after you've finished with the download Miaka-chan (or anyone one else).

Personally, if I want to download something else straight away, I'll leave it 10 minutes. If I watch what I've just downloaded immediately, then I leave it open whilst I watch the anime.
If there are loads of leechers, I sometimes close straight away!
10 minutes should be enough though!

Red XIII said:
This thread is really making me want to take a look at Bleach, I can't d/l on the uni network but maybe when I get home the inferior AOL connection will co-operate (it is broadband, just the slowest, cheapest connection, or should I say 'disconnection' half of the time).

I have the basic AOL broadband as well but it only takes an average of 2 hours or less to download 1 episode of something. I think I've only ever lost the connection twice but that might have been my dodgy phone extension anyway :lol:

Concrete badger said:
my internet connection for aol broadband is a bit dodgy as well. every few hours it signs off by itself for no reason.

That used to happen to me when I had call minder and the BT answering machine service. Once I got rid of those, it stopped happening. Have you got either of those things?

not as far as i know. i think it's just a bad connection. whatever the reason, i don't trust it enough to download anything as large as an anime episode.

Miaka-chan said:
Concrete badger said:
my internet connection for aol broadband is a bit dodgy as well. every few hours it signs off by itself for no reason.

That used to happen to me when I had call minder and the BT answering machine service. Once I got rid of those, it stopped happening. Have you got either of those things?
Ah! It is infuriating, i know that problem with the connection far too well. We have call minder and that stupid BT answering machine service and so it is forever disconnecting my internet connection, also i believe we have some adware or spyware in our computer which is hiding it's self and messing with the internet, all in all making the downloading process even harder.

You don't have to worry about the internet disconnecting Concrete badger while downloading a anime, mine did loads of times, it just slows it down a bit because it has to try and figure out what it was doing again once it's re-connected

Charter_Mage said:

I keep mine open till i have to dl something else so its always different.

Red XIII said:

I have the 1 meg connection with NTL and i can dl a ep in about 30 mintes if its going full speed but even my connection cuts out some times. it gose down like 1 time every 2 weeks for no reason but i think thats got more to do with this pc.

Bleach is really good so i belive its a good idear to dl the seire if you can.

Have just finished watching episode 22, twas good :D

I find myself getting annoyed by all the comparisons to the manga that is being discussed on other forums :evil:
Does it really matter if the 2 don't follow word for word, or scene for scene! Infact I hate that, why watch and read the exact same thing! surely the fact it's different makes the 2 more appetising!!

Rant over - sorry :oops:

Don't blame you for getting annoyed Miaka, such comparisons are pointless for me too. While I can understand that people will be mad when their favourite manga story is changed and chopped up for anime, manga fans tend to hyperbole their favourite graphic novels and curse anything that has been tweaked or changed.

Besides, it's not a valid comparison anyway. Anime and manga are too different to properly compare and rate one over the other, especially in the case of a series like Bleach where the anime is clearly not as rubbish as the manga fans would have us believe.

Just like the sub v dub debate and the discussions about fansubs, I've learnt to skip over most of these nay-sayers.

I think I shot myself in the foot with this series, I read the first 2 volumes of the manga, and got bored with the anime because I allready knew what was going on :cry:

People have to understand that some changes have to be made when converting any book to screen, but thats not to say all adaptions are good, to make a comparison with films: despite the many changes made when bringing the Lord of the Rings to life it was essentially a wonderful and very faithful adaption of the books. Where as, despite it's popularity the third Harry Potter film was utter rubbish, parts of the plot was completly mutilated and it fell victim to a director simply wanting to leave his mark. But what they all have in common is that you just simply have to deal with it

Ah, another old debate is rearing its head- book vs. film. Oftentimes it just depends on which one you see first and accept as the 'reality'.

Charter_Mage said:
People have to understand that some changes have to be made when converting any book to screen, but thats not to say all adaptions are good, to make a comparison with films: despite the many changes made when bringing the Lord of the Rings to life it was essentially a wonderful and very faithful adaption of the books. Where as, despite it's popularity the third Harry Potter film was utter rubbish, parts of the plot was completly mutilated and it fell victim to a director simply wanting to leave his mark. But what they all have in common is that you just simply have to deal with it

My family loves the third Harry Potter film so much that I thought my lukewarm feelings about it were the exception.

Red XIII said:
Ah, another old debate is rearing its head- book vs. film. Oftentimes it just depends on which one you see first and accept as the 'reality'.

Charter_Mage said:

My family loves the third Harry Potter film so much that I thought my lukewarm feelings about it were the exception.
Your first comment is very true, it often does depend upon which you are intoduced to first, hence the reason i enjoy the Love Hina manga more than the anime, but often the book is alot better because there is more spaced allowed for detail and it can feel less compressed.

As for the third Harry Potter movie, i could rave for hours about that particular film adaption, but i guess this isn't the place

Although I haven't read any of the manga, I think the quality of the Bleach anime speaks for itself. It's great, how much does it matter if some elements have been changed?

There's one little detail that sums it up for me, not possible in the manga : when things turn serious, you hear the weird sound signature that sounds a bit like electricity crackling, touches like this boost the show to open-mouthed proportions. *grins*

The biggest complaint with regard to the manga is the toning down of the violence but as far as I'm aware, 6.30pm in Japan would be a time when younger kids would be watching!
If you've seen ep.22 read this spoiler, otherwise don't!!

In the anime Jidanbou has his arm injured by the 3rd Captain Gin but in the manga his arm is totally ripped off with blood gushing everywhere it is understandable why this was edited for younger viewers, well I can see why anyway :lol:
Also there is supposed to be lesbian leanings where Orihime is concerned! I could almost believe that from what I remember in ep. 20 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back