Blood+ (Worth to buy?)

Ammish

Stand User
I do know that it's not released in England, except the movie. But I find myself a little interested in Blood+ and even though I wanted to watch the fansub, I can't find myself doing it because this is an anime I feel like watching in the comfort of my own bed.

I guess I kinda want this to be a surprise and it would be nice if this is my first import anime DVD.

Anyway, before I ramble on, I wanted to know if this anime is quite good? I think the reason it's grabbing my interest is because it's school girls with swords, fighting demons... which I've seen a lot, but this one has that... certain kind of appeal I cannot explain.

I know others speak highly of it... But most of the comments I've seen are animu-tards on youtube.

Edit: Oh and my bonus isn't here yet, so I haven't bought those other DVDs.

Well I bought the box set when it came out and have now had to wait all this time for volume 4 which is just out. It is now in my pile to watch hopefully sometime this week. The first three volumes are pretty good and get the story going I am now just hoping that volume 4 can expand on that as the end of volume 3 was a bit of a cliff hanger. In fact now thinking about it I may watch the whole series again to make sure I am up to date.

Dracos said:
Well I bought the box set when it came out and have now had to wait all this time for volume 4 which is just out. It is now in my pile to watch hopefully sometime this week. The first three volumes are pretty good and get the story going I am now just hoping that volume 4 can expand on that as the end of volume 3 was a bit of a cliff hanger. In fact now thinking about it I may watch the whole series again to make sure I am up to date.
I could be wrong but I believe that the single releases only contain one disc each which means if you already have the part 1 boxset you will already own vol 4. Shouldn't be new eps until vol 6 comes out. As for the show Ammy so far I have found it entertaining but I wouldn't say it was a classic, maybe it will get better I will have to wait for the rest to come out.

I bought the region 1 boxset quiet a while ago which includes vols 1-5 (25 episodes) & a bonus disc plus you also get a t-shirt and a sample of the manga. :D Should you buy it? well the series is quite a bit different from the movie which is darker and tells you very little about the main character of Saya.The boxset is well worth the money as you are getting half of the entire series .

There are two things worth noting. The first is that one of the early episodes has lots of Hollywood cheese and the second thing is that the budget seemed to have alteady been spent by the time the final episode was created. It's fair to say it doesn't start amazingly and ends a little disappointingly.

Blood+ is one of the better series I've seen. I don't remember a great deal about it now as I've only watched it once and it lasted for 50 episodes, but I do remember thinking that it's the best vampire story I've seen. It's vastly superior to the poor 40 minute film that (I believe) inspired the anime. I'll be picking the series up on DVD at some point.

In my holy opinion, Blood+ is worth owning for the excellent openings alone. You can't beat 'Colours of the Heart' - UVERworld are awesome.

UVERworld do the first opening for Toward the Terra, an awful piece of melodramatic J-rock cheese. Just from hearing the one song I had an idea of what the band would look like, and I was right on the money... a boyband with guitars.

That's put me right off Blood+ :p

Seriously, though, Blood+ has been on my radar for a while because I actually enjoyed the movie, although the boxsets are currently far too expensive. Are the 50 episodes one continuous story is it divided into smaller arcs?

fabricatedlunatic said:
I actually enjoyed the movie,

You enjoyed a vampire flick with no substance and fugly Saya facial art? Further proof you have horrible taste. :D

My memories are a little clouded but I can tell you that the story of Blood+ is the same from start to finish. There are short arcs that focus on different locations around the world, and there are also flashback episodes that focus on the distant past since vampires live forever, but it's one big story about two vampire sisters and not a collection of random stories.

Fabio: This is 100% off topic but I thought you might like to know that there's a CC manga auction for the entire series up on eBay. You've recently got into the anime, so I thought it might interest you.

Aion said:
You enjoyed a vampire flick with no substance and fugly Saya facial art? Further proof you have horrible taste. :D
Yeah, it's true, I plead guilty. I love me some style-over-substance anime from time to time. Saya is fugly, though...

Thanks for the info about Blood+ and CC. I'll keep my eye on that auction but have a feeling that I'll be priced out before the end.

Thanks for the tips. Whilst I'm trying to look for a bargain on it, the ebay one was tempted me for £18...

...until I found out it was 3 disc and had a different cover compared to the 6 disc that it should have.

And the boxset actually looks really nice. I would buy it to have something that stands out in my collection... which is rather small.

That Man said:
Dracos said:
I could be wrong but I believe that the single releases only contain one disc each which means if you already have the part 1 boxset you will already own vol 4. Shouldn't be new eps until vol 6 comes out. As for the show Ammy so far I have found it entertaining but I wouldn't say it was a classic, maybe it will get better I will have to wait for the rest to come out.

Balls!! I had not realised that when I ordered as it had been so long between releases and as there were 3 cases in the original box I though they were starting on season 2. I wondered why volume 4 was a full sized case as I had assumed they would do more thin cases to go in the box. Damn I was looking forward to watching the next part of the story.

I thought it was a good series however It could have been a hella lot shorter. Good pace ant the start and end but there was a big lull in the middle. I won't be in a rush to purchase this series unless it was real cheap.

50 episode series very fairly look great from start to finish. I don't recall thinking Blood+ looked bad, though... Then again, I watched LQ TV-rips when I watched it, so I wasn't really going to notice the visuals too much.

Random: By the way, Blood+ has a fairly disturbing event halfway through - a boy is killed by being forced to have sex with someone who looks like his 'sister'. You don't see that everyday!

Good series, good story and pacing was ok, got a little lost in the middle but came back. The OST by Mark Mancina is probably one of the best OST's i know, with Saya's victory being a stunning track i still listen to every day.

Back