Blue Dragon lined up for global domination by VIZ Media

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
VIZ Media have acquired the global licensing rights to anime TV series Blue Dragon. With a story developed by Final Fantasy luminaries Hironobu Sakaguchi (story, concept) and Nobuo Uematsu (soundtrack), and character designs from the famous Akira Toriyama (Dragonball), Blue Dragon is the newest multi-platform franchise coming out Japan; it originally started life as an Xbox 360 game, but now includes (prospectively long running) anime and manga series too.

VIZ Media's license for Blue Dragon covers Europe, so a UK release (most likely TV broadcast) could well be forthcoming.

Espy said:
Isn't a TV broadcast wishful thinking?

No. It will happen, I'm sure of it.
Let's keep pessimistic comments out of this thread.. there's the Animax thread if you want to start going down that route >.>

*Gets ready to be flamed*

So yeah anyway, I think this is a first for a 'global license'; I wonder how much it cost Viz to buy it.. I'm going to look for some trailers now : O

My thinking with the TV broadcast comment is that the Japanese are really pushing Blue Dragon as the next big franchise. Almost over night the title has appeared out of thin air and is getting mentioned all over the world.

Hence, I'm seeing this much like the Yu-Gi-Ohs and Beyblades of the anime industry. I wouldn't be surprised to see this just suddenly appear on early morning Sky One.

Well it's good news for Microsoft then if this reaches Pokemon like popularity expect the 360 to sell bucket loads.

It'll last a few years and burn out, Pokémon is ever lasting, though it will indeed rake in the cash... and damn, I didn't even get to see the first episode.

I'm sure it will be a big money spinner for Viz. I havn't read up much on the story, but you can tell just by the way it looks that it will have a market with children and teens. If it had been the days of Dragonball Z i would have wagered Toonami would snap it up, but with Jetix seemingly taking more of an interest with anime again maybe they might buy the rights

Paul said:
My thinking with the TV broadcast comment is that the Japanese are really pushing Blue Dragon as the next big franchise.

Microsoft are pushing it as the next big franchise. If it was going to be huge (and I'm not saying it won't eventually), then 360 would sell a lot in Japan. It isn't, and the game's already been out for four months. The anime will need to do a miracle to make the Japanese buy a 360 just for Blue Dragon (having said that, Trusty Bell is out soon, but is two games enough?).

Nah, I really doubt a TV broadcast. On anything other than Rapture, anyway. My reason? It's based an RPG. RPGs are as cult as anime (excluding Final Fantasy). If it was based on a platformer, then yeah, but I think this one is a bit too... cult to show on proper TV.
The only way it'll get shown on a proper channel is if it's on a kid's channel. And my problem with that is that the anime will be marketed towards kids, but the game will be marketed towards teenagers (considering a lot of kids just want to jump on the enemies' heads and collect shiny objects). I don't think a cross-promotion like that would work.
And we certainly don't want it to get the Naruto treatment.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the game, but I think showing it on TV is a bit hopeful. But who knows what Viz have up their sleeves?

Sorry for the... elaborate description. RPGs are my specialty, you should see my room =P

There are also two BD manga series running, one in a similar style to the game, and another I have no idea how it's related. It's probably right to assume Viz have secured them too.

If this gets the UK tv showings, I'll eat my hat.

Viz have a horrid record in regards to geting shows on.

Megaman NT Warrior - Canceled at series 1 end
Hamtarro - MIA about 13 eps in
Zoids -...actauily didn't do too badly. But if Genisis gets released I'll eat my hat
Naruto- Jetix, nuf said.

Conan-san said:

Zoids -...actauily didn't do too badly. But if Genisis gets released I'll eat my hat
Naruto- Jetix, nuf said.

What actually happened with Naruto?
And I think you should prepare your hat to be eaten ;_;

HoukiBoshi said:
Here's the trailer if anyone wants to see it (non subbed)

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc2xkYGqc_E
The trailer didn't look half bad, i'm not sure if i can bring myself to watch anything other than DB/DBZ in that style though.
The girl with the lilac hair did seem rather cool though, but i think that was purely the addition of Romi Paku as her voice.
I wonder if it really will get on British tv, it did seem alot more action packed than i expected it to be

DaNiMe said:
Conan-san said:

Naruto- Jetix, nuf said.

What actually happened with Naruto?
And I think you should prepare your hat to be eaten ;_;
Jetix happened, that's all you need to know.

but that's 4 shows (three of which are kids fare, sorry zoids fans, but that is true) out of at least 10 that Viz have on tv in the us. Odds are in favour of my mouth being cleen of hat.

Conan-san said:

Naruto- Jetix, nuf said.

And the pessimist strikes back again...

Seriously, Jetix would've labled you No 1 public enemy by now

Chrono Demon said:
Conan-san said:

Naruto- Jetix, nuf said.

dunno why, Zoids Genesis was the best thing since the first season

Chrono Demon said:

Works for me, boxing gloves, jetix CEO, twelve Rounds: lets go crazy.

I'll Teach 'em stright to be stupid.

Back