Body proportions

Kurogane

Chuunibyou
Okay, heres a pic I drew recently and the only thing I can see wrong with it right away is that the legs are slightly short.

I just wanna know if theres anything else I've overlooked, + any criticism on the drawing itself; I'll digest optimistically ^^

Her silhouette is very male (i.e. triangular, top heavy). Based on the character design and boobs, I'm assuming she's a teenage girl, probably a school girl? In which case, her hips need to be roughly the same width as her shoulders. In real life, most females have hips about the same width as or larger than the shoulders. (unless she is an Olympic swimmer or bodybuilder!)

Her leg are quite straight up straight down - introduce a bit of curve. Thighs have a nice curve to them, which narrows just before the knees, then after the knees, they swell slightly out for the calf, then narrow down to the ankle.

Thanks for the crits everyone! ^^

sonia - Yeah, I've always had a hard time drawing the waist and hips of girls, (any age) just doesn't usually go right for me lol ;'X

Okay I know where I have to improve now and I'll try and post again sometime, when I've got another drawing ;'D

Another attempt

Okay here's the second attempt, although it was kinda hard to stray away from my usual habits, I think I changed this one slightly, but I have a hard time seeing it because I'm used to looking at the crap I produce xD

Constructive criticism really welcome ^o^

Your second attempt is looking much better then the first!
One thing I would say, is that the character is still very top heavy. Her torso is still long and thin in comparison to the hight and positioning of her breasts.
When drawing a female character I tend to draw an eight shape from the shoulders down. It's a good starting point to tell where the curves are in comparison to the torso.
Hope that helps, keep up the good work.

Anzu-Butterfly said:
Your second attempt is looking much better then the first!
One thing I would say, is that the character is still very top heavy. Her torso is still long and thin in comparison to the hight and positioning of her breasts.
When drawing a female character I tend to draw an eight shape from the shoulders down. It's a good starting point to tell where the curves are in comparison to the torso.
Hope that helps, keep up the good work.

Although I know I should use some kind of structure to make the shape, I generally just freehand it, as you can get away with it in male characters especially o_O

Anyway, I'll try your method, it should help matters :p

Shades said:
Both characters seem to be extreamly tall, you shoud try to shorten them to be in proportion to there width 8)

Thats a matter of style though really, for example in Kimi Ga Nozomu eien, the characters are all adequately sized and relatively normal height, whereas in Outlaw Star, the characters tend to be on the lanky side, and quite skinny.

Hyaku said:
Although I know I should use some kind of structure to make the shape, I generally just freehand it, as you can get away with it in male characters especially o_O

I understand what your saying and it's true that with some types of characters it is an easier way to draw. However if your trying to get the right proportions, starting off with the technique of circle and lines ( Like this ) can be really helpfull. By starting off with something like that, it also makes it easier to create your own style. Though I admit, sometimes I end up starting from scratch rather then working out the right proportions if I'm doodling.

Anzu-Butterfly said:
Hyaku said:

I understand what your saying and it's true that with some types of characters it is an easier way to draw. However if your trying to get the right proportions, starting off with the technique of circle and lines ( Like this ) can be really helpfull. By starting off with something like that, it also makes it easier to create your own style. Though I admit, sometimes I end up starting from scratch rather then working out the right proportions if I'm doodling.

I usually only use that when I'm drawing characters in obscure and very different positions, as its much harder to tell where everything would go, unlike when you're just drawing someone stood up.

Try Getting a scrap piece of paper and drawing diffrent parts of the body and keep doing that until you feel like its right then bring them all together thats how Ive learnt

Back