C4's "100 greatest cartoons" this Sunday

Miaka-chan said:
If anything the ultra strange creatures in it would probably have the opposite effect :cry:
You under-estimate the power of the susuwatari ^^. I think for every person that is scared off by "strange creatures" there'll be someone who is genuinely intrigued by them. Animation no matter what country of origin has a degree of fantasy to it; a good portion of the audience will like what they see.

And just for clarification, Jimmy Carr is hosting this, not Graham Norton - I was giving an example of a worse scenario, though sadly there are few...

The RT article is treasure trove of interesting facts...for instance, did you know that Akira was based on a comic? And Spirited Away was the first anime to be nominated and win an oscar? :roll:

This is quite interesting, already down to around 77 and no anime in sight. Even Pokemon looks to have made a good show of it.

Yes, Princess Mononoke and Pokemon are definately in, and below 74 for sure...

You know, I think they've done really well. I think people like us are to blame :D

ok, I'm not all that knowledgable on anime but that looked, well..... let's just say that I'mglad that Pokemon has been rated higher then that. :|

I'd forgotten about this...

I had to love the comments on the Overfiend :lol:

Frankly, I find it sacrilige that The Snowman didn't come higher.

IanC said:
I know my dad saw the Overfiend bit. Oh dear......
lol, mine too. I just know my mum is going to come up here later and look to see if I have it on DVD (I've never seen it... phew!)

Seems that most of the stuff so far has been filler. They could have easily have put some more anime in this list.

Heh, well, as soon as I heard that warning I knew Overfiend would be coming up soon. It got quite a kicking from their experts. It shouldn't have been on the list to be honest, Ghost in the Shell could have been easily classed as having an equal impact in the UK.

Looking forward to see how the other anime ranks now. I'm quite optimistic that Mononoke will end up in top 30 (hopefully).

I think you're right Kupoartist, a lot of anime fans must have voted.

MangaMinX said:
Yup ADV are re-releasing it uncut and redubbed under its original "Gatchaman" guise in the states soon.

With jaw dopingly beutiful cover art/box art by comic book artist Alex Ross.

kupoartist said:
lol, mine too. I just know my mum is going to come up here later and look to see if I have it on DVD (I've never seen it... phew!)
I dont have it, but he has never liked anime so i worry what he will do :(

Jimmy Carr is one of the few people who has the ability to make me want to gouge his eyes out. He's so unexplainably annoying.

It looks like our votes (and that of the other UK anime fans) have pushed Mononoke into the top 60.

Back