Central Park Media (CPM) set to file for bankruptcy

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to the Anime News Network, US anime distributors Central Park Media (CPM) are set to file for bankruptcy next week, having last week laid off many of their staff. At this point there has been no official news from CPM and the details surrounding this news are vague at best, so consider this a strong internet rumour for now.

CPM's US DVD releases include Alien Nine, Now and Then- Here and There, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Shadow Star Narutaru and many more. What this news means for the future availability of all these titles is unknown.

This is a real shame, I'm a big fan of a lot of CPM's anime- not least of all NTHT and Cyber City and I would like the chance to see Narutaru at some point, too. Fingers crossed they somehow rescue themselves or- if worse comes to worse- someone else salvages their releases.

Ouch, this is the worst news I've heard all week, CPM have some classic titles in their back catalogue: Record of Lodoss War, the Black Jack OVA series and, not least of all, the aforementioned Cyber City Oedo. Hopefully another licensor will step in and take these properties off their hands as it would be a real shame for them to disappear from DVD shelves entirely.

Not sure I see how this is bad from the perspective of UK customers who cannot directly buy their releases. If some company with more money comes along, there'd be the chance we'd get the proper UK-R2 DVDs as opposed to seeing the rights to a series held by a company that has no means or wish to exploit our market.

I guess I should buy the rest of their titles I like while I can...

Also, they have Slayers, at least the series, so it would be a shame to see such a classic become unavailable.

Mutsumi said:
I guess I should buy the rest of their titles I like while I can...

Also, they have Slayers, at least the series, so it would be a shame to see such a classic become unavailable.

They don't have Slayers, they lost the license and Funimation then purchased it. Should be releasing their version of it fairly soon I'd imagine.

They're not re-dubbing it are they?..... The dub with Lisa Ortiz as Lina & Crispin Freeman as Zelgadis is quite possibly the best dub in an anime I have ever heard. On the other hand, if it means it may get on TV over here, I'm for it.....I think.

The latest from CPM blames the recent bankruptcy of US bricks and mortar distributor Musicland cascading down to cause their profit losses. Musicland was allegedly their biggest customer.

Mohawk52 said:
The latest from CPM blames the recent bankruptcy of US bricks and mortar distributor Musicland cascading down to cause their profit losses. Musicland was allegedly their biggest customer.
Musicland owed a lot of unsecured money to many anime companies when it went bankrupt and many of them felt the bite of that. CPM just happens to be that much smaller so it felt it a whole lot more.

Sorry to bring back this old topic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about CPM's titles and their availability now.
I really want to purchase Revolutionary Girl Utena: Rose Saga (first boxset), but it's out of stock on most sites it seems, then there's Now and Then Here and There which I would love to pick up as well, but that also seems to be out of stock.. Record of Lodoss War OVA + TV series seem to be still going, but on DVD Pacific it's out of stock as well. I know I'm a year to late, but it actually matters to me now I buy R1, that they went bankrupt. If these titles do indeed become OOP forever, I hope another company (maybe Funimation who already have Slayers) pick up the lost titles : (. At least Narutaru is still in stock on DVD Pacific.

I'm guessing if you want them (good choices btw, worth getting) they're going to have to be second hand. Ebay, amazon marketplace, etc... basically searching though tons of bootlegs to try to find a legit one.

Ramadahl said:
I'm guessing if you want them (good choices btw, worth getting) they're going to have to be second hand. Ebay, amazon marketplace, etc... basically searching though tons of bootlegs to try to find a legit one.

That's a good idea, I'll definately try that if my other sources don't prevail. :p

DaNiMe said:
Sorry to bring back this old topic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about CPM's titles and their availability now.
I really want to purchase Revolutionary Girl Utena: Rose Saga (first boxset), but it's out of stock on most sites it seems, then there's Now and Then Here and There which I would love to pick up as well, but that also seems to be out of stock.. Record of Lodoss War OVA + TV series seem to be still going, but on DVD Pacific it's out of stock as well. I know I'm a year to late, but it actually matters to me now I buy R1, that they went bankrupt. If these titles do indeed become OOP forever, I hope another company (maybe Funimation who already have Slayers) pick up the lost titles : (. At least Narutaru is still in stock on DVD Pacific.

Funny, you should mention Utena. I brought that the other week, I got Rose Saga second hand on Amazon Marketplace though. Going through Amazon.com Marketplace is probably your best with CPM titles that aren't in stock anywhere. If you're planning on buying CPM titles do so soon, their catalogue is quite old now and they don't appear to be printing new copies of their back catalogue, even those titles they still have the licenses for. CPM still exist, but at the moment their focus seems to be on their Manga line.

Incidentally, Now and Then, Here and There is in stock on Amazon.com, but only the singles, which means you don't get the extras disc.

Sorry to bring this back up yet again, but I found an interesting article, that also agree's with what Mohawk says, CPM are back in business, hiring back most of their old laid-off staff, and setting up shop again, but focussing on yaoi manga at the moment. So all those titles that we feared would never see the light of day again (NTHT, Utena, Record of Lodoss War, etc etc) might be coming back, slowly but surely. Wonderful!

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article ... l?nid=2789

Back