Ceres: Celestial Legend

Miaka-chan

Stand User
Ceres is another wonderful story by Fushigi Yuugi creator, Yuu Watase.
The story is based around an ancient Japanese legend of the Hagoromo.
The legend goes, an angel descended to earth to bathe in a pool, a fisherman saw her there and stole her robe, she was unable to ascend back to heaven and was forced to marry the fisherman. Through the coming generations of the Mikage family, the female line inherited the genes of the angel, who was determined to get her revenge on the males of the Mikage line.
Therein begins the tale of Aki and Aya twin brother and sister, who upon reaching their 16th birthdays, find out the truth behind the stories their grandfather told them as small children.

This is another wonderful engrossing anime by Yuu Watase. More beautiful character design, from Blonde haired twins Aki and Aya, to the gorgeous auburn haired/green eyed Toya "ten nights". The characters are full of life and personality and from the minute episode one begins you are thrown into a world of evil and intrigue.
Admittedly I am a little biased when it comes to stories by Yuu Watase but it is a justifiable bias! Her stories are so wonderfully constructed and often based on real legends that she spends months researching beforehand and Ceres is no exception!

I enjoyed Ceres, but everything seemed a little crammed in at the end and it was a shame that Aki had to die (and wasn't Toya on the way out at the end as well?), but I suppose that was a better than having a forced happy ending. Still, there were many things about the show that I liked, the characters and artwork were excellent, and the first ending theme (One) is among my favourites. Also, Kagami has to be one of the most memorable anime villains, he's just so creepy and manipulative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red XIII said:
I enjoyed Ceres, but everything seemed a little crammed in at the end and it was a shame that Aki had to die (and wasn't Toya on the way out at the end as well?), but I suppose that was a better than having a forced happy ending.
Yuu Watase has a habit of doing things like that!! I still say the worst story for characters getting killed off is Fushigi Yuugi :(
I think she must have had a change of heart more recently, as no one seems to die in any of her current stories (Alice 19th & Imadoki).

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate it when authors kill off good characters or my favourite character, like Sirius in Harry Potter. But i have to admit when i was planning one of my stories i had planned to kill the lead male (who of course is wonderful) partly for the story, but also to get a reaction, i since decided against it in that particular story as i know how utterly depressed it makes me when someone like that dies in a book i have read

Charter_Mage said:
I hate it when authors kill off good characters or my favourite character
I guess I'm weird, but it annoys me when they don't. Well, what I mean is it annoys me when they make it seem like they've killed someone off but bring them back. Sometimes it works, but mostly it just seems like they're bringing everyone back for a "happily ever after" ending. Happy endings annoy me when they feel so artificial.

I'm not a big fan of contrived happy endings either, there have been times when, even though it would have been sad, it would have felt like a better ending to me if the writer(s) had had the courage to kill off a character. On the other hand, it can be a bit depressing when characters start dropping like flies.

Colin said:
I guess I'm weird, but it annoys me when they don't. Well, what I mean is it annoys me when they make it seem like they've killed someone off but bring them back. Sometimes it works, but mostly it just seems like they're bringing everyone back for a "happily ever after" ending. Happy endings annoy me when they feel so artificial.
I do agree with you here, as much as i hate a favourite character of mine being killed off i don't want them to come back if it will make the story cheesy. I love Sirius and although there is part of me that wants J.K. R to bring back i think then it would seemed forced. It's the same with any story, sure if it feels right or if it has some part to play in the plot, but you don't necessarily want a happy, perfect ending just for the sake of it

Charter_Mage said:
I hate it when authors kill off good characters or my favourite character, like Sirius in Harry Potter.

That was the most awfull thing ever! But It would be stupid if he came back, I dont like it when a main character dies, it makes me feel all sad :cry:

Isn't it rumoured that another main character will be dying in the next Harry Potter? Anyway, it may be that there was a plot reason for having Sirius die, so he can come back as a ghost and help out in a way that he couldn't as a living person. That's just random speculation from me, though.

Charter_Mage said:
Miaka-chan said:
Charter_Mage said:
but you don't necessarily want a happy, perfect ending just for the sake of it
I do :lol:
I think it depends how attached you've gotten to the characters
In Fushigi Yuugi you can't help but get attached to the characters!! When a certain someone dies in episode 34 of FY, I cry buckets even after the 5th viewing! When I first watched that bit I cried for over 2 hours :oops: I just couldn't stop myself and kept asking why it had to happen (aah! silly me :roll: ).
When bad guys die I don't really care, it's when the good guys, or really wonderful characters get killed off that I hate it.
When it comes to happy endings, if I'm watching a romance or a happy anime, I expect a happy ending. The only reason Yuu Watase carried on the story of Fushigi Yuugi and made endless OVAs is because the fans insisted it couldn't end the way it did :lol:

I personally get attatched to charecters, even ones who arent that pleasent quite easily. And it upsets me know end when they die! , I will sit and cry my eyes out at moments like that in all anime. But to me thats the sign of a good anime :D .
I will agree with a dislike of charecters coming back to life though. If a charecter dies I far prefer for him/her to stay dead rather than magically come back. That can irritate me.

MangaMinX said:
I will agree with a dislike of charecters coming back to life though. If a charecter dies I far prefer for him/her to stay dead rather than magically come back. That can irritate me.

There is one exception to that rule! Sailor Moon. It wouldn't be much cop if the Imperium Silver Crystal didn't do it's job properly :lol:

I will cry my eyes out too if one of my favourite character dies, i think as i get older i cry more and more. I used to be a strong believer in not being a sissy girl and crying at things but now everything makes me cry.

Red XIII said:
Isn't it rumoured that another main character will be dying in the next Harry Potter?
Yeah i think she said that more than one person is going to die in these next books, i bet it's Lupin i doubt she would be content just to take out my favourite character when she can get rid of my second aswell. I cried buckets when Sirius died, i think that was the first time i cried at a book, he was such a cool guy and i had a really lovely image of him; kinda like Hugh Jackman with long hair (until they ruined it with Gary Oldman). I think he died to show Harry that everything about him isn't invincible, that people around him and himself can get hurt (harry really has been getting one huge ego) and to show the readers that nothing could be so nice and peachy for Harry

Red XIII said:
Isn't it rumoured that another main character will be dying in the next Harry Potter? Anyway, it may be that there was a plot reason for having Sirius die, so he can come back as a ghost and help out in a way that he couldn't as a living person. That's just random speculation from me, though.

Is she out to make our lives miserable :cry:

Back