Countdown to The Licensing of Haruhi Suzumiya

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to a teasing (apparently) official website, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is expected to be announced as licensed (for North American DVD release) on the 22nd of December.

Given the tactics used to hype up fans ahead of this announcement, the clear favourite to have acquired this is ADV Films (perhaps in association with Kadokawa Pictures USA).

Paul said:
According to a teasing (apparently) official website, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is expected to be announced as licensed (for North American DVD release) on the 22nd of December.

Given the tactics used to hype up fans ahead of this announcement, the clear favourite to have acquired this is ADV Films (perhaps in association with Kadokawa Pictures USA).
I'm not convinced this is real, but a wind-up by some fanboy/girl. I know it will get licensed sooner, or later but this website smells like last weeks fish dinner.

The fact that Anime on DVD is in on this, leads me to believe it is 100% genuine. You don't get a very good relationship with the major american anime companies by advertising fan made "joke-sites", and AoD famously refuses to take part in the usual April Fools Day joke barrage, so it is not in their character.

Also, Anime News Network are also in on it...

The actual website is an english language version of the japanese equivilant.

i dunno whether or not its genuine, but if it is i may get it.if not it doesn't really matter, we can just wait for the time when it does get licensed.

AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME.

I seriously can't wait. I just hope the dub is good - I really do.

And also, I hope that they don't do the silly two episodes a disc, like in Japan, and stretch the 14 episode series out to 6 discs. That'd just really get on my nerves.

adamcube said:
AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME.

And also, I hope that they don't do the silly two episodes a disc, like in Japan, and stretch the 14 episode series out to 6 discs. That'd just really get on my nerves.
Given that ADV already tried doing such a release schedule and only managed to annoy the US fandom with it (with Gantz) it is unlikely that such a schedule will ever appear in the US again.

2 episodes a disc is par for the course for single season series in Japan, where there is usually one disc with a single episode and 6 with 2 episodes. 26 episode series can get 2 or 3 episodes per disc depending upon who is distributing them and longer series stretch to 4 with sometimes 5 episodes per disc.

This one is somewhat of a tough call. The marketing certainly smacks of ADV although Kadokawa did recently sign their distribution deal with FUNimation, which means that it could be released by Kadokawa through FUNimation. That doesn't discount FUNimation as a potential licensor and there is always Geneon as an outsider. All of those 3 have strong backing from big companies behind them to fund the licence.

AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME.

I hope that if it is going to be licenced then I also hope they will produce a good dub. I think ADV are capable of making a good dub.

I hope they release it early.

It's Kadokawa Pictures USA in conjunction with Bandai Entertainment!

Just been revealed in spectacular - 100 page hits per second - fashion

Fudce said:

Bandai? WTF? Do they have a history of releasing shows of this type? Of all the companies to have acquired Haruhi this they're the least likely. Nonetheless, I love the trailer on the website.

Noratav said:
Fudce said:

Bandai? WTF? Do they have a history of releasing shows of this type? Of all the companies to have acquired Haruhi this they're the least likely. Nonetheless, I love the trailer on the website.

They're not the licence holders, Kadokawa USA are, with Bandai doing production & marketting, etc.

And you have to remember that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is co-produced with Bandai...

Fudce said:
Noratav said:
Fudce said:

They're not the licence holders, Kadokawa USA are, with Bandai doing production & marketting, etc.

And you have to remember that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is co-produced with Bandai...

I'm aware of all that, but that doesn't change the fact that Bandai have no track record of releasing shows like Haruhi. This is even more remarkable given that Bandai have barely licensed anything this year. They fact they don't own the series is irrelevant, as they'll be doing all the work.

P.S. What does Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex have to do with this?

Back