UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

He also said Death Note was delayed because Manga was sent sub-par materials with technical issues and is pushing for better ones.

He goes on to suggest the problem is a common occurrence due to the lack of a standardised delivery spec.
Also on Death Note - Jerome stated they're not able to use Viz's disc masters hence why this is their own work. Whilst it wasn't technically a reply, I did ask whether all the different audio and subtitle tracks on Viz's release were the reason why, to which my tweet was favourited. (English, Japanese, Spanish, French, Portugese dubs, aforementioned minus Japanese for subs)

I wanted to ask if anyone knows if the Nura : Rise of the yokai clan S1 P2 had a low print compared to the rest of the show. I've been finding it impossible to find this part.

Also on Death Note - Jerome stated they're not able to use Viz's disc masters hence why this is their own work.

Oh dear. On the one hand I am glad that manga didn't want to use sub par disks, on the other I've just realised that they'll probably release sub par disks anyway, like they normally do when they master it themselves. At the very least I am expecting their rubbish chapter markings :(, hopefully that's the extent of it though.

Control streaming rights?, knowing Jerome it would be to make sure there would be none at all. Can he just be fired from Manga UK/Animatsu alltogether and maybe things will get better?
MangAsu strikes me as a cult of personality (For whatever that word counts for in the context of Jerome) where if you don't follow in lock step with Jerome you walk to the Breadline.

So even if Jerome was struk down by some god of streaming, the next unforunate would probably double down and try to take as many shows as they could simply on the basis as it would be less for CR/FN/NET to stream.

I wonder how Ford was able to get that Sailor Moon advert over here and past Manga's ever watching eye, ever vigilant against the forces of Chaos, Heresy and a Magical Girl show designed for, like, 8 year olds animated between 92 and 97 and it's remake which Jerome just hates for reasons ether hilariously outdated (Seriously, the MVM release was like 10 years ago, let it the hell go) or just stupid.

I had slight hopes for Sailor Moon coming out over here when Madman announced their sets - but I've pretty much given up hope at this point. Either Toei are blocking it, or Manga have looked at it and figured it just wouldn't sell well enough (in my eyes, an outdated view, the MVM release came at a bad point in time)

I had slight hopes for Sailor Moon coming out over here when Madman announced their sets - but I've pretty much given up hope at this point. Either Toei are blocking it, or Manga have looked at it and figured it just wouldn't sell well enough (in my eyes, an outdated view, the MVM release came at a bad point in time)
Perhaps not directly related, but it's interesting that MVM are once again experimenting with Blu-ray re-releases of older shows after the apparent failure of Samurai Champloo. It does seem that the anime business can change fast and suddenly, at times.

Yeah, if anything, I'd say the work MVM has been doing recently with both Blu-Ray re-releases / DVD rescues of stuff like Haibane Renmei has won them back a lot of favour in my eyes.

I kind of feel MVM had reached a point where so much of what they released was sub-B tier / C-tier shows (outside of standout successes like No Game No Life / Unlimited Blade Works) that was never going to sell well, they were doing themselves a dis-service by continuing to pump that out - they were basically in a 'we'll just scrape up what's left after Manga and Anime Ltd have had a shot' situation. Whereas the rescue shows and Blu-Ray re-releases are clearly geared to their most popular titles and stuff that's going to have a long shelf life / sell for a long time into the future.

With the best will in the world toward Samurai Shamploo, while it's critically acclaimed (and was perhaps popular back in the past) I don't think that popularity has held up well - I barely ever see anyone discuss it now. Compare to something like Fate Stay Night (2006) and Berserk that have continued to thrive as perennial franchises because they've continually rebooted themselves and remained relevant, hot names even amongst the youngest, most casual reaches of fandom.

Can I just ask why we're blaming Manga for the lack of Sailor Moon? They don't have an exclusivity deal with Toei, there's nothing to stop any other distributor going for it.

I think it may be Toei is difficult to work with so many companies may not want to worth with them
Anime Ltd. has worked with Toei in the past.

I know they weren't coming from you, but the personal attacks on Jerome for things he clearly isn't doing are a little bit much.

If Jerome wielded a lot of power at Toei, would Daisuki have DBS?

Just a general assumption that if anyone got Sailor Moon, it'd be Manga UK. After all, they've released other Toei shows in the same wheelhouse - DBZ, One Piece, Digimon. Given how much they're pushing the longrunning kids' nostalgia show vein at the moment (Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon movies), Sailor Moon would be right up their alley.

I can see any U.K. distributor being in a pinch deciding as it is a 200 episode series the BDs are not great and DVDs people would then there nose at it. And crystal is popular amongst fans while everyone else thinks it's bollocks. I can fully understand why it is unlicensed as the only UK release ever was a massive failure its business sense to be apprehensive

Who would buy a title where the licensor has previous for shafting people with ****** materials and who's fans will freak the heck out if you can't get AUS DVD masters (as it's quite plausible they might not)? If I were a UK distributor it would be too risky, and then factor in the new dub, which means it would all have to be re-BBFC'd too...

Who would buy a title where the licensor has previous for shafting people with ****** materials and who's fans will freak the heck out if you can't get AUS DVD masters (as it's quite plausible they might not)? If I were a UK distributor it would be too risky, and then factor in the new dub, which means it would all have to be re-BBFC'd too...
That's far too much logic for UK anime fans to accept. You must be mad.

I think it's more UK side not European as the EU Toei gave Sailor Moon before Toei US ever did

I think we've all learnt from Hokusai that picking up titles before the US is a risky endeavour, especially big ones.

The only title where they could do that risk-free is World Trigger, because we know Toei is already dubbing that themselves.

Yeah - I mean, the conclusion I came to anyway was that it was just too expensive / risky a prospect for Manga. Both the initial costs of acquiring the license, and getting hundreds of episodes through BBFC.

Given Sailor Moon was never as big here as it was in America anyway, I don't think it can count on the nostalgia pull as heavily as Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh - and I certainly can't see it selling as well as One Piece or DBZ either.

Back