UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I was wondering how folk were enjoying Manga's new Akira Collector's Edition.

I mean, it's got both English dubs alongside the Japanese audio on BD for the first time, excellent subtitles, the Production Report on the DVD, new extras, a slipcase with new artwork...

I'm really enjoying it. :)

I've yet to actually watch it (I have of course seen Akira before) and god knows when I'll get around to doing so but the physical product is really nice imo. I was actually rather surprised to find that the box was a decent thickness and the artwork under the clear slipcover was clean. I mean sure a folded up poster is useless to me, as are artcards but crap like that are all the rage it would see... So in short I'm very happy with my purchase unless I discover something wrong with the discs....

Last edited:
I've yet to actually watch it (I have of course seen Akira before) and god knows when I'll get around to doing so but the physical product is really nice imo. I was actually rather surprised to find that the box was a decent thickness and the artwork under the clear slipcover was clean. I mean sure a folded up poster is useless to me, as are artcards but crap like that are all the rage it would see... So in short I'm very happy with my purchase unless I discover something wrong with the discs....

I've watched the film with the Jp audio, and I can promise you it's really good. Like I say, the subtitles are excellent: they read really well and are synched perfectly. And they fix the couple of spelling mistakes that were present in Manga's previous release.

Haven't watched it with either of the dubs yet, bar a quick test. The audio sounded good, though, and was in sync. So, happy days. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the new extras, too. I agree with Buzzkillington about the folded poster, though! :p

Any idea where the new artwork originates from, by the way? First time I've seen it.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Manga has My love story!!
When do they intend to release it?
It appeared on Amazon UK briefly dated for September 26th but then vanished completely.
It was also solicited in the US for October 25th but that vanished also (the Amazon US listing is still live but "Temporarily out of stock" while it has gone from B&N and TRSI entirely)
OTOH, Madman have recently solicited it for a March 8th release in Australia.

Wait, hang on - it got new SKUs in the US and neither I nor anyone else had added them to ANN's database. Now supposed to be out there on the 20th of this month. A UK release probably isn't on the cards until after the AU one at this point. [edit]It also changed from two single cours parts to a complete 2-courses set[/edit]

Last edited:
I've watched the film with the Jp audio, and I can promise you it's really good. Like I say, the subtitles are excellent: they read really well and are synched perfectly. And they fix the couple of spelling mistakes that were present in Manga's previous release.

Haven't watched it with either of the dubs yet, bar a quick test. The audio sounded good, though, and was in sync. So, happy days. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the new extras, too. I agree with Buzzkillington about the folded poster, though! :p

Any idea where the new artwork originates from, by the way? First time I've seen it.

There was no subtitles in previous releases, it was dubtitles. If you watched it in Japanese you are basically reading the script from the English dub.
So technically this is the first time they released it with subtitles as they are new subtitles as I was told via. twitter.
So now I have to re-buy this after the disappointment steelbook anniversary release.

Has anyone else watched the Akira CE BD with the old Streamline dub? :D

The new extras are good. You've got a 20-min interview with Otomo, an 11-min feature on the restoration and dubbing of the film, and an interesting 20-min look at the musical score. You can watch that last one with optional English narration, or turn it off and listen to the performances.

I love this CE version. It's also worth pointing out, just for reference, that the subtitles and audio are not locked on this disc, so you've got free reign. :)

With regard to the new Akira Blu Ray, something I'm interested in getting confirmed before splashing the cash is teh picture format.

I found a comment on Amazon (I think) which seemed to suggets that the picture was 'letterboxed', indicating that it was in widescreen, but with black bars down the sides as well. Any truth to that?

I'd have asked the person who made the comment, but from experience folks almost never reply to queries under reviews. And it doesn't help that some folks simply dont know what they're talking about.

You lot, however, are a more discerning bunch. So some confirmation would be grand.

The picture on the CE BD fills the full screen. I think I read somewhere that Manga's previous BD edition had the black borders, but the CE is completely full-on widescreen. I promise you that. ;)

Last edited:
That's great news, the previous release was indeed letterboxed (as are Ghost in the Shell, Wings of Honneamise and I'm sure some others too) which is an inexcusable practice in the Blu-Ray age. Not sure there's enough with this new release for me to double dip, but I'll consider it now if I see it cheap.

Eeeeeexcellent! Thanks, Mr. T.

No worries, dude. ;)

That's great news, the previous release was indeed letterboxed (as are Ghost in the Shell, Wings of Honneamise and I'm sure some others too) which is an inexcusable practice in the Blu-Ray age. Not sure there's enough with this new release for me to double dip, but I'll consider it now if I see it cheap.

I remember being surprised that the BD of Redline has borders as well. My TV has a screen mode that slightly zooms the picture to remove borders, but you lose a little bit of the actual image, too.

I reckon you'd enjoy the new Akira BD, but then I'm biased! ;)

Would I be right in assuming Animatsu's release of Triage X will be exactly the same as the Sentai release? Ie. Sub only.

Someone *forgot* to tell Animatsu ;)

From Amazon:

Product Description
Mochizuki General Hospital boasts some of the most well-trained (and well-endowed) nurses in town. But though these ladies spend much of their day battling sickness, their after-hours are spent fighting a very different sort of disease...Under the leadership of the hospital chairman, a handful of staff members and local teenagers form a group of mercenary assassins, targeting the cancers of society and excising those individuals before their wickedness spreads.

This Triage X collection contains episodes 1-10 and bonus OVA episode across 2 Blu-ray discs and 3 bonus DVD discs

Language: Japanese & English
Subtitles: English

(Unless they've announced a dub, in which case I apologise for the sarcasm)

Fun fact - With Akira I played the 2016 DVD disc on my PS4, ejected it and inserted the 2011 DVD disc in - the result was that it immediately continued where the 2016 disc left off.

Creepy.

Fun fact - With Akira I played the 2016 DVD disc on my PS4, ejected it and inserted the 2011 DVD disc in - the result was that it immediately continued where the 2016 disc left off.

Creepy.

Yeah, the 2016 Akira DVD turns out to be identical to the 2011 disc, but with the new artwork printed on it. That at least guarantees buyers of the new BD CE the Production Report. :)

Manga have

licenced Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for home video release in the UK, as well as Power Rangers Dino Charge and Power Rangers Dino Super Charge!

Beginning April 2017, Saban’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers will be available in the UK on DVD in three Complete Season Collections, followed by Power Rangers Dino Charge and Dino Super Charge later in the year.

Back