UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I know I'm comparing apples and oranges but £50.99?
I bought Devil is a Part-Timer 1 as a DVD for £14.99.
Didn't think it was that great. Not going to want to see how it progresses at that price.

Looks like they are using the USA average price of $65.

Loved Zombieland Saga but haven't got S2 yet as it's into the thirties £.

The image they're using for One Piece 31 has Blu-Ray on the side of the box. I thought OP in the UK was DVD only? Listing seems to be for 4xDVD only, so maybe it's a mistake or placeholder.

71Sw1QbW33L._AC_SL1500_x1024.jpg
Yeah, it's a placeholder. This is the US packshot and has no BBFC logos.

I hope that Sand Land's screenings will have better sub QC compared to Suzume. The sign subs and some of the italicised dialogue had brackets which I found distracting, in addition to a lack of line breaks.

£54.99 RRP for a standard edition Blu-ray. CR UK don't even do digital copies or slipcovers anymore.

I'm saying the same two words right now that I do every week in a supermarket when I see another price rise.

No way I'm paying that price when I can pick up the US release from UP1 for roughly the same price, and it comes with a slipcover. And I also receive it months earlier.

Spy x Family Part 1 has an SRP of £34.99 for a Standard Definition Blu-ray
Irina the Vampire Cosmonaut has an SRP of £54.99 for a Standard Definition Blu-ray.
I know that one is vastly more popular than the other, but a £20 difference? Make it make sense. I'd pay half of what Irina costs (and probably will in a Zavvi sale in a few months, if we're totally honest..(

At this point, I honestly wonder if Crunchyroll are deliberately sabotaging home ent. We all know that the streaming subscriptions are their biggest priority, with home ent (especially in the UK) most likely being an after-thought. So why not just set up a situation where you can justify culling it due to low scales? Urgh.

Spy x Family Part 1 has an SRP of £34.99 for a Standard Definition Blu-ray
Irina the Vampire Cosmonaut has an SRP of £54.99 for a Standard Definition Blu-ray.
I know that one is vastly more popular than the other, but a £20 difference? Make it make sense. I'd pay half of what Irina costs (and probably will in a Zavvi sale in a few months, if we're totally honest..(

At this point, I honestly wonder if Crunchyroll are deliberately sabotaging home ent. We all know that the streaming subscriptions are their biggest priority, with home ent (especially in the UK) most likely being an after-thought. So why not just set up a situation where you can justify culling it due to low scales? Urgh.

Prices have genuinely gone up in recent years so it's not just them but CR are definitely the worst offender. Standard Blu-ray price used to be £25 (with a cheaper £15 for a DVD), but that has steadily increased in steps of 5 to now be the £35 to £40 range (MVM's SRP for new standard edition 1-cour series has gone up to £40, AL's is £35). Taking advantage of early bird and retailer discounts you can get that down to about £25 again, but unless you're worried about something going out of print really quickly it's just a lot better to wait for a seasonal sale than buy on release.

As for CR's more varying prices, not sure. My guess is they are reflecting licensing costs in the per-episode price, so while Irina is a less popular show it might have cost them more to grab than Spy x Family, so they're passing that onto the consumer. But yeah I wasn't as struck on that show as some others so I definitely wouldn't pay 55 quid for it.

At this point, I honestly wonder if Crunchyroll are deliberately sabotaging home ent.
It's a good question, as I definitely can see them abandoning the format in smaller territories in favour of streaming in the years to come (definitely here and some European countries), and reducing sales by forcing higher prices is a cunning strategy to do that. It also helps raise prices across the board to a point, as if CR can get away with charging £45, £50, £55 and it not affecting sales too much, we're going to see MVM and AL do the same.

this sort of thing is what annoys me that there's no industry representative for crunchyroll here like there is for AL and MVM, the closest i found was @Enter_the_Fray but they haven't commented since 2018, probably don't even work for the company anymore, but would still like someone here to direct question's about there commitment to home media. (on a side note there was a @johnnythm as a representative for universal pictures, universal pictures did anime?)

this sort of thing is what annoys me that there's no industry representative for crunchyroll here like there is for AL and MVM, the closest i found was @Enter_the_Fray but they haven't commented since 2018, probably don't even work for the company anymore, but would still like someone here to direct question's about there commitment to home media. (on a side note there was a @johnnythm as a representative for universal pictures, universal pictures did anime?)
All of the former Manga UK staff were made redundant and Crunchyroll UK became a skeleton team, but I think even they've gone now. Their UK PR and marketing seem to be handled by a 3rd party company now, while the company itself is ran from the US.

All of the former Manga UK staff were made redundant and Crunchyroll UK became a skeleton team, but I think even they've gone now. Their UK PR and marketing seem to be handled by a 3rd party company now, while the company itself is ran from the US.
I was about to say "so that's why they've not been distributing at mcm" but just realised there going to be at animecon. This is why we need someone to talk to, to actually communicate what the hell is going on in the uk side of the industry right now!

At the minute, single cour series from CR are RRPing at £55, while multi-part shows like Spy x Family and Attack on Titan RRP at £35. Ridiculous pricing for what is materially the same thing in terms of episode count and materials. Though having said that, watch CR put multI-part releases up to £55 now.
They are just emulating what they do in the US.

RRP for Spy x Family Part 1 is $64.98. RRP for Irina The Vampire Cosmonaut is also $64.98.

Back