UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I am genuinely suprised that CR beat AL to this movie. It doesn't seem like the kind of movie they would usually bother with.

I am not surprised they are halfassing it though.

I am genuinely suprised that CR beat AL to this movie. It doesn't seem like the kind of movie they would usually bother with.

I am not surprised they are halfassing it though.
It's Shinkai innit. It's gonna sell boatloads. Not surprised they went for the license, nor that they're halfarseing it tbh.

I like steelbooks but yeah, having got those amazing CEs for Your Name and Weathering it's disappointing not to have one for Suzume. 4k I can take or leave in most cases but it would've been nice to have the option for this.

I think it's GKids that hold the US rights for those? :)

Weathering With You is yea. Your Name was Funimation.

I think Suzume did relatively well for CR, given it performed better in the UK than both the AL distributed titles Your Name and Weathering with You. It's also now available on their streaming platform, so it is generally accessible as well.

Like I mentioned, I do want to see if theres any extras here, it will have the dub of course and I would like to see that CE that Australia might be receiving in time. Who knows if there will be anything in future.

1702632879101.png

Suzoom limited edition has been revealed by Zavvi. £44.99 price point.

Rigid Box, 4 x Art Cards & 60 Page Art Book

Extras:
  • Directors Commentary
  • Directors Interview
  • Directors Filmography Recap
  • Radwimps Interview
  • The Making Of Documentary
  • Ending Scene Tadaima Version
  • Special Commemoration Videos
  • Promo Video Collection
  • Teaser & Trailers
  • Roundtable Interview With Makoto Shinkai, Yojiro Noda & Kazuma Jinnai

Is there not going to be a UK 4K release of Suzume then?

Or are they doing the now usual thing of releasing the blu-ray first and then the 4k later down the line?

Unclear at the moment, not mentioned.

So there it is, the extras are present on the CE now subbed (I think the special features are on the standard as well?), with translated materials and a book. You can choose to import a set just for the 4k (and extras that aren't subbed) at much greater cost, or wait and see what happens.

Standard edition is 19.99 SRP (14.99 at Zavvi retail), and Steelbook is 29.99 SRP (24.99 at Zavvi retail).
The Standard is 2 discs (1 for the film, 1 for extras) and the Steelbook is 3 as the DVD is present.

Last edited:
Unclear at the moment, not mentioned.

So there it is, the extras are present on the CE now subbed, with translated materials and a book. You can choose to import a set just for the 4k at much greater cost, or wait and see what happens.
Guess I'll just pre-order the CE with Zavvi and see what happens. Can always double dip if it's going to be a fair while until a UK 4k release.

Not out until April 2024 anyway, so can always cancel if we hear news of a 4k before then. Although might be worth getting the blu-ray collector's edition anyway for the extras because the Dragon Ball Super Hero movie doesn't have a 4k collector's edition from CR.

Last edited:
Think I'm going to end up double-dipping on Suzume as I prefer getting the CE's / LE's for titles but I also want the steelbook to go with all my other Shinkai steelbooks.

Will also be getting SxF LE of course.

Um, that Suzume LE boxset - is that a digipak I am seeing in that image? I'd double-dip on both the steelbook and the LE if it is getting a digipak... my JP 4K Suzume box set has a really nice digipak in it.

I was thinking the same, but at a closer look it looks like it's just the inner cover of the box. Then again, product renders are just product renders 🤷‍♂️
The box looks kind of similar to the DB Super: Super Hero CE box, which has a 2-disc digipak. Good chance it could be a digipak for Suzume as well.

It says 3 discs in the description, but not what they are. In the picture I can pick out Feature Film Blu-ray and Bonus Features Blu-ray and the third Feature Film, but not what type. I guess DVD?

It says 3 discs in the description, but not what they are. In the picture I can pick out Feature Film Blu-ray and Bonus Features Blu-ray and the third Feature Film, but not what type. I guess DVD?
Looks like it, yeah - blu-ray film, blu-ray bonus features, and a copy of the film on DVD. Was hoping for maybe a CD of the soundtrack or something instead.

Such a shame ATA didn't get the film, their collector's editions for Shinkai's films have been quality.

I'll wait in case of a 4K and if it doesn't happen pick up standard blu ray later on

On this, I double checked my orders for DB Super: Super Hero - the blu-ray came out in March 2023 with the 4k due for release Dec 18th. So it could be a year or so from now before we get a UK release of Suzume in 4k 😭

Back