Crunchyroll Originals

Captaaainuniverse

Time-Traveller
well, they are also "partnering" with someone creating a sort of Little Witch Academia thing that no one asked for. this new show I'm feeling won't do well, only thing that has come out is their "diverse" staff, mostly women, with a writer's room that's all women, I'm not going political but I feel that writer's room is tailored that way and tailoring a department in such a way never bodes well, I'm just calling now that the new show is a failure. they should have spent less time building that up and more time putting HTML5 in, like most people, especially premiums like me, wanted

well, they are also "partnering" with someone creating a sort of Little Witch Academia thing that no one asked for. this new show I'm feeling won't do well, only thing that has come out is their "diverse" staff, mostly women, with a writer's room that's all women, I'm not going political but I feel that writer's room is tailored that way and tailoring a department in such a way never bodes well, I'm just calling now that the new show is a failure. they should have spent less time building that up and more time putting HTML5 in, like most people, especially premiums like me, wanted
Hasn’t it factored to people they are trying to get a new audience and I would feel more uncomfortable at a show probably aimed at girls wasn’t written by a female majority staff. The whole “didn’t ask for it” Is a joke too I didn’t ask for a adaption of Banana Fish because by the time I heard of it I thought the ship had sailed and yet is the best anime so far got me and what a shame isn’t on CR

Hasn’t it factored to people they are trying to get a new audience and I would feel more uncomfortable at a show probably aimed at girls wasn’t written by a female majority staff. The whole “didn’t ask for it” Is a joke too I didn’t ask for a adaption of Banana Fish because by the time I heard of it I thought the ship had sailed and yet is the best anime so far got me and what a shame isn’t on CR

So you would feel uncomfortable watching a lot of anime then? Would you also be uncomfortable watching Fullmetal Alchemist and Tsubasa, because they were made by a female for a male audience ;). As for the whole "didn't ask for it" thing your comparison is off. Banana Fish is an anime and this is a cartoon made by Americans. See the difference? for a company whose whole service is about bringing Asian media to the west this seems like a weird investment. It becomes even weirder, because the parent company of crunchyroll has another streaming service aimed at cartoons. I'm not sure why they didn't put it on that service.

As for the cartoon thing I wish they would've showed us more about it instead of pushing a political agenda, because all the discussion about this series will be about the agenda the creative team so desperately wants to push down our throats. It's also ironic how they fail their own diversity stick by having a majority of white women of a certain political spectrum in their creative team. I'm also not sure why they push this diversity propaganda through anime because anime is probably one of the most diverse industries out there. The art style of the cartoon looks fun despite being not that original. I'm also not sure if the story is going to be as original as they claim it will be considering it sounds like the average magical girl anime.

So considering how bad the backlash is (and rightly so) I guess they’re in full damage control now by finally talking about a HTML5 player. I also guess that Crunchyroll deliberately made such a bad trailer and knew that it would cause a sh*t storm, because bad PR is still PR and the fact that they disabled ratings and comments on youtube speaks for itself. I'm also not sure why they got a known misandrist on the writing team, but whatever I don’t care if people are so narrow minded that they hate a person based on their genitals. It’s their own problem.

I really want to talk about the cartoon itself, but they gave us so little info because they were so busy patting themselves on the back by how diverse they are that the only thing you can talk about is the creators and not the creation.

edit: Now that the HTML5 player is out of the way how many years do we have to wait before they implement SSL?

Last edited:
Where was the outcry when happy tree friends were added or RWBY not to this level.
Also they probably don’t have much more to show it seems quite early in development. I don’t think they were pushing any spectrum as I always found CR very right wing pointing boobs out and Yuri anime but never promoting BL and female orinentated dramas this seemed like they wanted to pretend to be political and it’s worked it’s brought all the bigots out the wood work, why don’t people watch the show wait till it’s out to judge it. And yes they seem have gone into damage control I assume HTML5 was always on this track but announced a little eariler. These people insulting shows because they have a female lead staff is horrible it’s reminds of the Yuri on ice debacle the bloody Maid dragon crap as well.
And created by women I don’t care I judge shows on their merit not what gender, ethnicity of who wrote the show because the show is what matters I hate people who cream over directors etc because that makes them ignore good shows because they focus on aspect that don’t mater to me as much as the show the end product is what matters. Will I be watching this show no but CR getting more subs I’ll be happy with that to invest more money in anime and elsewhere. As I want a reliable service and good PR. So currently CR fails. Hope that changes soon

Where was the outcry when happy tree friends were added or RWBY not to this level.
That's because those were acquisitions, not in house productions.
Also they probably don’t have much more to show it seems quite early in development.
Then why not announce something when they actually have something to show? That probably would've helped blow back if they had something to show and it was good.
I don’t think they were pushing any spectrum as I always found CR very right wing pointing boobs out and Yuri anime but never promoting BL and female orinentated dramas
I don't see how appealing to CR's core demographic is 'right wing'. CR have the numbers, and you can bet your bottom dollar that, on the whole, those kinds of shows are the ones bringing in the most views. Yuri on Ice may have been a smash, but it's certainly not a frequent occurrence for shows like that to be popular.
why don’t people watch the show wait till it’s out to judge it.
I don't think anyone is calling it terrible right now, just that it doesn't look like it's going to be good. People are allowed to give first impressions and then change them later if it defies they expectations.
These people insulting shows because they have a female lead staff is horrible it’s reminds of the Yuri on ice debacle the bloody Maid dragon crap as well.
Whilst I can't speak for the entirety of anime fans, the way I see it, I value good writers over diverse ones, and CR is seemingly presenting the fact that the writers are diverse as a sign of quality. Has any of these people actually done anything of note? 'We have women' is not some sort of guarantee of quality. Male or female, both can write well, but both can write poorly just as much.
Will I be watching this show no but CR getting more subs I’ll be happy with that to invest more money in anime and elsewhere.
Unless it's so successful that CR see more profit in their own stuff rather than licencing and we slowly see a shift away from anime based content.

And created by women I don’t care I judge shows on their merit not what gender, ethnicity of who wrote the show because the show is what matters I hate people who cream over directors etc because that makes them ignore good shows because they focus on aspect that don’t mater to me as much as the show the end product is what matters.
Any sane person would agree with you on that one :p. I think the problem with this particular trailer is that they're too focussed on their own agenda. They literally described the show as a story about 4 girls becoming guardians. The next thing they could've talked about was what the guardians are or who the characters are as a selling point for the show but they didn't and chose a political agenda instead resulting in causing a backlash. Another thing that wasn't helping this trailer was the use of vague buzzwords such as warm, funny, adventurous, authenticity. I mean you're working on this project for months now (probably) and you have to rely on the gender of the creators and vague buzzwords to create "hype". That's just sad imo.

edit: you mentioned maid dragon. Was there a backlash about it :confused:? didn't know.
edit 2: IncendiaryLemon summed it up pretty well what I'm trying to say.

I assume the head writer chose the best writers for the job they may be all brilliant and all end up having tits why has nobody thought that’s the reason.
And it’s not first impressions it’s vile anger insulting making me yet again depise the anime fandom I seem left out because I think CR is doing this to make more money to therefore invest we’ve heard people say CR has reached a ceiling so maybe this is their way of breaking through it.
And yes there core demographic is arses I know I’ve been an anime fan and slated every week for one of my opinions, because I don’t like tits or certain companies.
Oh if CR moves away from anime we may have to use Amazon and Netflix that’s obviously a factor why this happening we’ve seen it with manga to stay on top of the game they’ve had to move to in-house productions. And CR co produces a lot of anime (yes none that appeals to me) but they do it. Place further than the universe is rated one of the best anime of the year and is a CR co production. So I don’t believe they are gonna move away from anime due to such a large factor of their user base loving Japanese content.
I did roll my eyes at some of the marketing yes but I didn’t get this angered by it.
Maid dragon took out one of the Yuri overtones in the dub and people went apeshit and it led to the OVA not getting dubbed (well people believe as FUNi never gave any other reason why)

Also I believe the announcement was CR originals so it was to announce the endvour in general that’s why they didn’t focus and show 100% content from the new show it was to say we have stuff in development yes they chose that but they obviously have other stuff too which may be JP/US co production for all we know

I assume the head writer chose the best writers for the job they may be all brilliant and all end up having tits why has nobody thought that’s the reason.
See, that's the thing. There's nothing wrong with that, it's more how CR presented it. As if some key art and a bunch of writer's we've never heard of is good enough to sell us on it, just because said writers are women.
And it’s not first impressions it’s vile anger insulting making me yet again depise the anime fandom I seem left out because I think CR is doing this to make more money to therefore invest we’ve heard people say CR has reached a ceiling so maybe this is their way of breaking through it.
I mean, I'm not sure where abouts your looking, but I can't say I've seen anything like that myself? Than again, I do try and avoid the more cesspit-y bits of the fandom, so I don't doubt it exists, I suppose, I just don't think everyone who is against this is doing it for discriminatory reasons.
And yes there core demographic is arses I know I’ve been an anime fan and slated every week for one of my opinions, because I don’t like tits or certain companies.
Not to sound too mean or anything, but that's pretty irrelevant. Like, you acknowledge it's true, so why pretend like it's some right wing agenda? It's kind of confusing.
Also I believe the announcement was CR originals so it was to announce the endvour in general that’s why they didn’t focus and show 100% content from the new show it was to say we have stuff in development yes they chose that but they obviously have other stuff too which may be JP/US co production for all we know
Only time will tell on that one.

jeez I somehow knew this would be something that could need it's own thread, yet I did not hold my tongue and just put what I thought about what the company is doing, I'm too lazy to quote mine atm so:
@thedoctor2016 what kind of rock, what kind of black abyss have you been hiding in to think CR is right wing? CR, Funi, virtually all media we consume in the west is left wing. these "sjw" types, that's who staffs CR and Funi and many others like them, there is nothing right wing about them, Crunchy isn't as huge as others, it gets what it can get, the censorship on their streams is from an earlier timeslot in japan, though they did censor a game available on their platform because it "wasn't suitable for western audience" which is pretty dumb when your customers, you know, consume far eastern content.
my problem with this guardians show they are... funding? I'm not sure how involved they are but it is somewhere on the funding side, it's built gender parity, it's built a female - only writers room and from my view that can only be built on agenda, if you let the real world work as normal you'd never get the makeup of staff they have, the writers room seems like a collection of yes women who will not challenge each others ideas, they'll just put everything in and no one will question whether it works or not. Crunchy must have been more concerned with pouring what they get from premium members into something that seems so agenda driven it'll fail in an open market, rather than improving their service.
it's not what shows they have coming, it's not anyone's gender, it's not that they are funding something "not for me" it's that they are more concerned with whose making it and their bias rather than making anything good and it doesn't seem like they care that it will never make a return on investment

cesspit-y bits of the fandom
🤣 😃 😄 😅 😆

The term you used just made me laugh but it's true. Off topic a wee bit I know, but I can't be doing with over-zealous fandoms that take their **** way too seriously!

*Whispers* they're fictional characters!

Also...

Whilst I can't speak for the entirety of anime fans, the way I see it, I value good writers over diverse ones, and CR is seemingly presenting the fact that the writers are diverse as a sign of quality. Has any of these people actually done anything of note? 'We have women' is not some sort of guarantee of quality. Male or female, both can write well, but both can write poorly just as much.

I agree. I appreciate diversity as much as the next person, but at the end of the day, if the people involved have delivered something that I enjoy, especially since I'm really fussy about what I like anime-wise anyway, it shouldn't matter who's behind it. I couldn't give a monkey's if, well, if a monkey has made it! 😅 😆

CR is moderately right wing. But like all media right wing people think everything’s ran by SJW. Strongly promoting boobs and sexism and Yuri is not liberal. They ignored BL shows and Free! Has got some promo nowhere as Maid dragon did. They are not SJWs anime is far from them. Because anime is Japanese and Japan is right wing look at Abe

Honestly don't care that they're making originals tbh. Like if it's good then awesome, if it's not then it can join the mountain of garbage anime that's on Crunchyroll. I also don't care who's writing it, who's animating it or anything else like that, I'll judge the show itself (I say that, I probably won't watch it anyway).

Last edited:
CR is moderately right wing. But like all media right wing people think everything’s ran by SJW. Strongly promoting boobs and sexism and Yuri is not liberal. They ignored BL shows and Free! Has got some promo nowhere as Maid dragon did. They are not SJWs anime is far from them. Because anime is Japanese and Japan is right wing look at Abe
-.- anime is japanese. not every japanese creator is right wing. dragon maid (the series) did not show anything explicitly yuri, but, originally, the central relationship had that kind of tone. it looks like a gay relationship, that's liberal, to bend to the right wing like you're thinking it wouldn't consider anything that could be seen as gay, it wouldn't consider boobs, hell, it wouldn't consider what's out it's back yard. CR are pretty sjw, look at who runs it, look at their twitter pages, they just know that messing with their streams too much could affect their business, they haven't forgotten what draws people to them. the japanese government is right wing and from what I've heard from others the people often try to build community in the real world and sort of shame loners, doesn't mean the people or anyone handling it is right wing, if you don't like sexism or boobs, you're watching the wrong genres by the sounds of it

it shouldn't matter who's behind it
I think that's they key problem in the trailer. They made such a big deal about who made it that they gave the trolls more than enough bait :'). Honestly like you I could care less who made it, but it just irks me that they decided to politicize (is this even a word?) this show. I mean look at this thread we aren't talking about the show anymore, but about politics. It's a real shame too because the trailer could have left a good first impression on a lot of people that are now criticizing it, including me.

Hahahaha yuri is perversion for men it is not natural lesbians relationships. And boobs is in most anime also CR promoted Citrus heavily I didnt want to watch i got it shoved down my throat a member of CRs "Liberal" staff apologised for showing a BL anime but then CR heavily promotes Citrus 18 months later its a joke, its skewed towards men. I am a man but a gay man and CR and FUNi make me feel disenfranchised because they seem to ignore my genres. Admittedly Super Lovers was **** but no more **** than Citrus by reviews yet one got promoted and they are "SJWs" Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.
I've said many times that's what they get. and japanese writers don't know you. I'd have to admit every other season does have popular shows pushed by a male fandom, I do think more content written for women could help, sorry I really don't understand what a genre would be for gay people, it's like a niche of a niche. men and women are around 50% each on earth's population, so it's kind of easier to write with either of them in mind, gay people compared to everyone else, it's a poor balance, it's hard to write for when the writer likely won't have that experience or even if the writer is gay, they'd still want to target that broad audience

Original content is where all internet success stories tend to go. Look at stuff like Nostalgia Critic and HISHE. Eventually they got tired of being a conduit for promoting someone else and started doing more of their own stuff.

Personally anything Crunchyroll does amuses me because didn't they start as a fansub torrent site that got bought out?

Original content is where all internet success stories tend to go. Look at stuff like Nostalgia Critic and HISHE. Eventually they got tired of being a conduit for promoting someone else and started doing more of their own stuff.

Personally anything Crunchyroll does amuses me because didn't they start as a fansub torrent site that got bought out?
I don't know about an original site but they were a fansub group, livin' it up in the legal grey area, I don't think they got bought out though unless I'm forgetting who owns them, they just eventually got licenses to stream content and built a model meant to help the creators

I think that's they key problem in the trailer. They made such a big deal about who made it that they gave the trolls more than enough bait :'). Honestly like you I could care less who made it, but it just irks me that they decided to politicize (is this even a word?) this show. I mean look at this thread we aren't talking about the show anymore, but about politics. It's a real shame too because the trailer could have left a good first impression on a lot of people that are now criticizing it, including me.

Yeah, I'm seeing this kind of stuff everywhere though to be honest. Even as someone who identifies as a feminist, it does get tiresome when almost every news article is trying to force that particular political agenda down our throats. It often gets to the point where it's not even relevant to the article.

"Rail staff go on strike- again. By the way, a woman was there, so that makes it a diverse strike now." :rolleyes:

I think that's part of the reason now why many people are quick to jump to political conclusions about things such as this show - the fact that the political movements involving diversity and inclusion are pretty much everywhere we look now, and it gets to a point where we automatically assume that there's some related political agenda attached to something, instead of just taking it at face value! We're so afraid of offending certain people so for the sake of not wanting to cause upset, we're sort of going, "See? We included you, all better now!" I mean, you only have to look as far as the upset caused by Scarlett Johansson playing a transgender character, or Jack Whitehall playing a gay character. People are kicking up a stink becasue they want actual transgender/gay actors to play these parts, when surely, is it not about the acting? If the actor is doing a good job at portraying a transgender or gay character, can that not be identified with and appreciated in the same way? I get that I'm speaking as a straight white female, so I can't see it from the other side of the fence in that regard, and I'm mindful of getting a bit too deep in political hell here since it's really not my forte, but, these are just my opinions for what they're worth. I'm certainly not seeking to belittle or dismiss any perspectives that people of different genders/identities here may have.

Back on topic! 😅 😆

I don't know about an original site but they were a fansub group, livin' it up in the legal grey area, I don't think they got bought out though unless I'm forgetting who owns them, they just eventually got licenses to stream content and built a model meant to help the creators

IIRC, they weren’t even a fansub group, just an aggregator streaming site curating the fansubs of others.

You should never sell a show on how diverse the creators are. Nobody cares. People want good stories and animation. What we have here is garbage tier artwork and no story to speak of.

It's not different as it's a blatant rip off of superior Japanese shows. The title alone is laughable. The trailer for the show has already given CR a massive uphill battle selling it to thier core viewers.
If women want to write and animate great. But let the product sell it not the people behind it, it's entertainment after all.

Back