D.Gray-man Anime To Return In 2016

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Following an eight-year reprive, the Black Order's struggle against the mechanisms of the fiendish Millenium Earl and his army of akuma is set to take centre-stage once again next year, following a JUMP Festa announcement that a brand new television adaptation of Katsura Hoshino's D.Gray-man dark fantasy manga is in production at TMS Entertainment for broadcast in 2016!

The series' cast will be led by Ayumu Murase (Gatchaman Crowds' Rui Ninomiya) as 15-year old exorcist Allen Walker; a role portrayed by Sanae Kobayashi in the original series. Shinnosuke Tachibana (Kamisama Kiss' Tomoe) has additionally been revealed as succeeding the part of Howard Link from Daisuke Kishio.
Katsura Hoshino's D.Gray-man series originally launched in Weekly Shonen Jump manga anthology in 2004, before the author's health led to a series of hiatuses and the title was moved to JUMP Square before relaunching in the newly launched quarterly JUMP Square Crown earlier this year. The series was previously adapted into a television anime series that was broadcast in Japan between 2006 and 2008.

Viz Media are currently publishing the original manga in English and Manga Entertainment released the first half of the original anime on DVD.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen the original series but I have heard it's really good and I would like too watch it 1 day . I wonder if it's going to be a remake or continue from the original .

Bailey1985 said:
I haven't seen the original series but I have heard it's really good and I would like too watch it 1 day . I wonder if it's going to be a remake or continue from the original .

It's like Fairy Tail 2014, they're continuing where the anime left off but this time apparently it's a new cast.

Then again if you think about it, the previous anime aired in 2006-2008. That's quite a while.

NormanicGrav said:
Bailey1985 said:

It's like Fairy Tail 2014, they're continuing where the anime left off but this time apparently it's a new cast.

Then again if you think about it, the previous anime aired in 2006-2008. That's quite a while.
Yeah that's what made me think they might be doing that what they did with fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood .

Wonder if they'll dub the rest of the original series now and release it on DVD. I've been tempted to buy the "complete series" set that Manga have released but actually only being half of the series has put me off.

DragonBlaze67 said:
Wonder if they'll dub the rest of the original series now and release it on DVD. I've been tempted to buy the "complete series" set that Manga have released but actually only being half of the series has put me off.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Therefore unless this is a remake from the beginning again, it would be pointless, for us outside of Japan, to continue on without finishing the original first. :wink:

Judging from the contents of the teaser, I highly doubt that TMS Entertainment are doing a Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood-style reboot of the franchise and even if there were, the amount of material they would have to speed through would far exceed the single cour Brotherhood dedicated to retracing covered ground. So even if this new series' is set to debut a decade after its predecessor, simply continuing the story is most likely the best option (if I remember correctly, it didn't divert towards an anime-original ending and just simply ended?). I imagine the expectation in Japan is for this new series to renew interest in the original manga and to get established fans to buy the home video releases;

I actually wonder why FUNimation never acquired the last half of the original series in the first place? Was there some kind of rights issue blocking them from finishing the series, or did the first half simply not meet their expectations? Due to the age of the property, I imagine the most likely scenario is for the 2016 series to be picked up for simulcast and its viewing figures to be used as a measure of interest in the brand and thus, whether it would be viable to release the missing half of the original.
If we assume FUNimation will grab the simulcast rights to the new series, it wouldn't be the first time they've made the first and latest instalments of a franchise available before the middle (Shakugan no Shana).

This announcement has rekindled my interested in the series and made me want to re-read the manga, so I looked at my collection to find what the number of the last volume I purchased was. Despite all the time that has elapsed, I'm only four behind - those hiatuses man.

Joshawott said:
I actually wonder why FUNimation never acquired the last half of the original series in the first place? Was there some kind of rights issue blocking them from finishing the series, or did the first half simply not meet their expectations? .

I think that's right, the first half didn't sell aswell as they'd of liked so they decided against the second half. It did have some filler, so that might of been part of what put people off.

Back