Death Note and Dexter a world apart but so similar

J_C_X

Great Teacher
Does anyone watch F/X's Dexter?

Have you noticed how similar it is to Death Note (well character wise) both main characters are anti-heroes/vigilantes with a similar goal but in achieving that goal they enter moral gray area.

Both shows also have anti-villians, both with similar causes but a different concept of justice, it's excellent.

Both shows are brilliant Dexter may have no supernatural plot but both are strike me as very similar but very different in their own ways.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Death Note is about some kid who finds a book which when you write peoples name in it they die and has Shinigami involved in the story.

Dexter is about a serial killer detective who kills serial killers.

They both sound perfectly alike.

Lupus Inu said:
Death Note is about some kid who finds a book which when you write peoples name in it they die and has Shinigami involved in the story.

The Shinigami plays a similar role to Dexter's imaginary "dark passenger".

Lupus Inu said:

Light is a mental serial killer who kills serial killers, as well as many other innocent people. They sound quite similar to me.

Maybe, but does Dexter stand behind a note book and not actually -kill- them, because I doubt Light could do that without the use of his precious Death Note.

Lupus Inu said:
Maybe, but does Dexter stand behind a note book and not actually -kill- them, because I doubt Light could do that without the use of his precious Death Note.
JCX was not comparing them on a purely like-for-like basis but on a similarity of premise. Both involve people with homicidal tendencies offing others they percieve as evil. When someone described Dexter to me a few weeks back it immediately struck a chord with me in its similarity of character archetypes. You are getting too hung up in the supernatural/fantastical side of Death Note rather than JCX's original comparison of the similarity between the main characters. Ignore the fantasy and consider the plots and you can immediately see the similarities.

Wait till the second series of Dexter (don't want to spoil it) starts then you will start seeing more similarities with Death Note.

Including a dectective whose surname begins with L.

Well, whatever about it's similarities with Death Note, Dexter certainly sounds like a series I want to check out!

Lupus Inu said:
Does it have crappy Yaoi pairings too...?

Why is it just the yaoi pairing that annoys you? It's just weird that it's solely the yaoi pairing that annoys you, seeing as you don't mention the other pairings from Death Note. In any case, these 'pairings' are not in the actual anime, so criticising the anime for what it's fans decide to do is ridiculous.

CitizenGeek said:
Why is it just the yaoi pairing that annoys you? It's just weird that it's solely the yaoi pairing that annoys you, seeing as you don't mention the other pairings from Death Note. In any case, these 'pairings' are not in the actual anime, so criticising the anime for what it's fans decide to do is ridiculous.
98th time Lupus Inu recites it: Because it's what 90% of the fans are interested in, there's TWO Death Note fans in my media class in college one of them DOESN'T SHUT UP about Death Note and constantly ends up hinting and suggesting LxLight like... a lot. I basically have a personal hatred towards Death Note, I have many reasons, though I won't deny the Death Note itself is an awesome idea [though not completely original] and the story should have went another way. Though you asked me why, and that's why, let's not turn this guys thread into another epic arguement and leave it at this. You can reply if you want, but if you do it'll carry on for a while... >_>

Back