Death Note story shows similarity to vintage '73 manga

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
ComiPress have posted an interesting news article (including images) about a mysterious one-shot manga novel called "The Miraculous Notebook", published in Japan during 1973, which in terms of narrative shows an extreme similarity to the concept of Shonen Jump's all conquering Death Note. In essence both stories contain a typical notebook capable of killing anyone whose name is written inside.

This has got to be more than co-incidence. But I'm sure no one will pursue a lawsuit over this, Japan isn't America.

Besides, Death Note seems far better than what the article describes the original 70's manga story. (Though it does sound really nice in it's self)

Not to mention the mysterious identity of the Death Note writer... It could very well be this person in disguise.

To be honest I think it could be a co-incidence, the idea of a Death Note, though brilliant, I suspect has come up a lot over time.

I personally think Death Note holds similarities with a number of stories (though almost certainly incidentally).

The neutral relationship between Ryuk and Light is reminiscent of the one between Faustus and Mephastophilis in the play 'Dr Faustus' which contains a similar theme of morality being lost when enormous power is acquired.

Regardless of its originality, death note is (at least from what I've seen) awesome anyway.

hmm, wasn't there also a part in a Eichiro Oda one shot in which "God" writes down a name in his note book of death? but then erases it or something? my memory's hazey on this.
a Death Laptop! now that'd be sweet! "whoever's name is Typed into this laptop...shall die!" and instead of a shinigami you can have that annoying purple mokey thing, "Bonzi" (god i hate him).

Back