Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

anime_andrew said:
Joshawott said:

Yeah - better to fix it now we figure across retail stock than not - it's pricey to do but I would rather save it being an issue for anyone upset. I did check the rest of the episode out barring the clip shown and tbh without a reference it's pretty hard to spot outside of that scene but best correct it and save everyone a headache as I say :).

AP
I'm really happy that it's been noticed and is being fixed - 1st December works better for me anyway (totally selfless reason, I know).

anime_andrew said:
Joshawott said:

Yeah - better to fix it now we figure across retail stock than not - it's pricey to do but I would rather save it being an issue for anyone upset. I did check the rest of the episode out barring the clip shown and tbh without a reference it's pretty hard to spot outside of that scene but best correct it and save everyone a headache as I say :).

AP

Really cool of you guys to fix it - don't mind having to wait an extra month if it means a fixed product.

Only thing I'd say though is it sounds like you guys are having to pay out for quite a few fixes like these recently, and I'd hate to think that would impact on your long term business stability/plans/ability to license shows because funds are short.

Lutga said:
anime_andrew said:
Joshawott said:

AP

Really cool of you guys to fix it - don't mind having to wait an extra month if it means a fixed product.

Only thing I'd say though is it sounds like you guys are having to pay out for quite a few fixes like these recently, and I'd hate to think that would impact on your long term business stability/plans/ability to license shows because funds are short.

It makes me want to stuff a tenner in Andrew's pocket on the down low at an expo, just to help cause god forbid anything ever happening to A/L, I can't be having that. I like pretty things.

britguy said:
AL definitely could have demanded amended materials, but whether they got them and then if they did, how long it takes (given how long it has taken the commitee to OK things for this release) you could be looking at another 6+months delay for the show which in turn would be detrimental to their sales especially as Aniplex of America re now launching standard editions.

It boils down to 22 seconds that have not affected my viewing enjoyment tbh

I've pondered this a bit, and while what you have said is undoubtedly correct, it's also wrong.

Wrong as in, why are US/UK companies forced to endure a delay in these circumstances? You'd think a contract with them to supply materials would mean they are apologising for the error and fedexing the new materials within a few days of the problem occurring. I see no reason to go back to the committee if a deal has been negotiated and it's just a matter of sending what was actually already agreed upon.

----

Good call on delaying Kill la Kill, having fixed discs up front is much better than enduring the moans from customers not yet in the loop and the replacement program that goes with it.

It's just a shame that after the date was brought forward twice it's getting knocked back, that's bound to cause some moans and groans for some areas of the fan base.

The delay does not bother me as long as any issues are sorted out before it is released especially since it the release had been moved forward twice anyway (plus I would porbably wait until the other volumes had been released before watching it anyway).

anime_andrew said:

AP
I suppose you also have to take into consideration than I predominantly watch on a monitor. Depending on the make and model of your TV, there's going to be varying display and/or audio lag which may minimize how noticeable it is to some.

Agree with others - the delay to KLK is absolutely fine with me. Much rather have the issue fixed now rather than post-release. Bravo to AL for jumping on this so quickly.

I know it's already been said, but just to clarify. Going back to the Japanese audio issues with Kill La Kill's first episode as well as Gurren Lagann, It's definitely been mixed in mono. On my PC I use MPC-HC with MadVR and LAV audio.
In LAV audio there is an option to up/downmix the audio. Down mixing the English/French Audio tracks on Gurren Lagann, and the English track on Kill La Kill both result in sounding identical to the Japanese tracks.

Some of the episodes on disc 2 of Gurren just sound completely weird though - I can't really explain it too well - and not weird in the same way as the rest are. It's horrible to listen to with headphones.
I love the final product for Gurren and I can tell a lot of love went into it, but I hope Andrew can get to the bottom of what's causing this issue - and whether it's an issue on Aniplex's side or Authoring side, so future releases are not affected by this.
For me personally the audio issue bugs me a lot, so I'll likely eventually get the Aniplex releases so I can watch it comfortably in Japanese again. People probably think I'm crazy, but the show is that good and I don't want to spend most of my time wishing the audio wasn't so wrong.

Mangaranga said:
... Gurren Lagann, It's definitely been mixed in mono...

I've only watched disc 1 and when listening to the Japanese dub I noticed the sound fading from the left to right speaker at the beginning with the galaxies exploding, so wouldn't that make it stereo?

With the Gurren Lagann JP audio issue, would it be possible for you guys to include details of your playback equipment (speaker setup and software/player)? Maybe we can figure out exactly what's going on.

R

I'd rip the disc, demux the audio, open in audio editor and have a close look at what it really is instead of doing listening tests with possibly faulty setups. Easy to see if it's mono - combine the left audio with the right audio inverted would make it silent. Etc.

Rui said:
With the Gurren Lagann JP audio issue, would it be possible for you guys to include details of your playback equipment (speaker setup and software/player)? Maybe we can figure out exactly what's going on.

R
Well I've tested using a PS3 and BDX3200 BD player hooked up to a TV with external speakers.
I've tested on my PC using external speakers through the internal motherboard Audio output as well as through a DAC. Software wise using MPCHC with Mad VR and Lav Audio. I've also used both my Audiotechnica ATH M50x and Sony MDR 10RC with both setups. I'm sure it's nothing wrong on my end.

Cactus said:
I'd rip the disc, demux the audio, open in audio editor and have a close look at what it really is instead of doing listening tests with possibly faulty setups. Easy to see if it's mono - combine the left audio with the right audio inverted would make it silent. Etc.
I could give this a go, but based on the information posted in this thread previously only the sound effects and music are mono.

Cheers, I trust there's nothing wrong with your setup but if we know where the problem is showing up it's easier for people to replicate it, and Anime Limited can add it to their QC checklists. IIRC there has been more than one occasion where channels have been mixed up in the US editions and it's only noticeable on particular speaker configurations - and of course, the people who have decent speaker setups are more likely to be bothered by it.

It shouldn't happen, but if we have as much information as possible it's easier to know what to look out for and nip the issue in the bud in future.

If Norbie is getting the sounds in (at least) stereo at the start of disc 1, is it not affecting that part or are some of the effects in stereo while others are mono? Providing foreign companies with a weak Japanese audio track would be a compelling reverse importation prevention strategy from the Japanese side, and if that's what happening then it's Not On.

(Apologies for being useless at testing for this particular issue myself. I'll see if my partner can spot check the discs as his hearing works better.)

R

Mangaranga said:
I know it's already been said, but just to clarify. Going back to the Japanese audio issues with Kill La Kill's first episode as well as Gurren Lagann, It's definitely been mixed in mono. On my PC I use MPC-HC with MadVR and LAV audio.
In LAV audio there is an option to up/downmix the audio. Down mixing the English/French Audio tracks on Gurren Lagann, and the English track on Kill La Kill both result in sounding identical to the Japanese tracks.

Some of the episodes on disc 2 of Gurren just sound completely weird though - I can't really explain it too well - and not weird in the same way as the rest are. It's horrible to listen to with headphones.
I love the final product for Gurren and I can tell a lot of love went into it, but I hope Andrew can get to the bottom of what's causing this issue - and whether it's an issue on Aniplex's side or Authoring side, so future releases are not affected by this.
For me personally the audio issue bugs me a lot, so I'll likely eventually get the Aniplex releases so I can watch it comfortably in Japanese again. People probably think I'm crazy, but the show is that good and I don't want to spend most of my time wishing the audio wasn't so wrong.

I'm actually having a hard time joining the dots between KLK and GL here really especially as the majority of setups I've tested it in don't flag an issue. I'll try to replicate with external speakers though and see what happens. I'm pretty certain what's happening isn't a result of encoding and if it is it's to do with a global thing (materials or EU authoring houses) as the projects were done at two separate houses using two different sets of materials.

Looking into it anyway for peace of mind for your good self anyway :)! Bugs the living daylights out of me that it's proving hard to figure out the source of it though - so let me look into it as obviously I don't want anyone's experience disrupted.

Andrew

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

Extras stripped from Blu-ray to DVD only discs, similarly to how Attack on Titan Part 1 was treated. Meaning only the Standard DVD and Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD combo will have the extra content. Note the extras were released in 1080p HD Native according to Funimation's specification in their US release.

There are disappointments to be had though; for starters if you were hoping to buy the stand-a-lone Blu-ray release then you will not get any additional bonus content, so you’ll have to spend more money and get the Collectors Edition – at which point the Bonus Content is only available in standard definition, just like it is in the DVD release. If you aren’t interested in bonus content then this won’t disappoint you, but the content itself is great and is worth watching – especially the ‘Behind The Scenes: Voice Actors’ segment.
That’s not the only disappointment either, the Japanese audio track, for all versions of the film, is in LPCM 2.0 where as in the original Japanese (and American) release of the film it was available in Dolby Digital 5.1 – so we are receiving a lesser quality Japanese audio track. Mind you we do receive a ‘superior’ English audio option as, for the Blu-ray at least, it is available in DTS-HD as opposed to Dolby TrueHD 5.1; it’s not much of an improvement but when hooked up to a surround sound kit it does provide a more cinematic experience than that of the American Blu-ray release of the film. The final disappoinment of the Blu-ray was that the subtitles for the Blu-ray version of the film are grey-white colour, similar to that of Psycho-Pass, Gargantia and Devil is a Part Timer, thus suggesting that yet again Manga UK are doing in-house blu-ray authoring as opposed to using masters created by Madman Entertainment or FUNimation.
Courtesy of Emo185 and Anime Blu-ray UK

What amuses me is that on the audio menu screen it only shows English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and Japanese LPCM 2.0 for Manga's Blu-ray release. On Funimation's release, the theatrical cut is Dolby TrueHD 5.1 on both tracks and the director's cut is English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and Japanese Dolby TrueHD 2.0. The US DVD version has English 5.1 Surround, Japanese 2.0 (Director's Cut) and Japanese 5.1 Surround (Theatrical Cut).

I can understand Manga having to author their own PAL DVDs now, what with Madman going NTSC. However, I really don't get why they've been increasingly authoring their own BDs. Weird.

Also this trend of theirs to strip extras to artificially create Collector's Editions is really pissing me off.

Ath said:
I can understand Manga having to author their own PAL DVDs now, what with Madman going NTSC. However, I really don't get why they've been increasingly authoring their own BDs. Weird.

Also this trend of theirs to strip extras to artificially create Collector's Editions is really pissing me off.

My guess is they want to create these "Collector's Editions" to make their release more attractive to potential buyers who will look at the US release and see only 1 release and see 3 different releases and think "wow this must be a big title, it has 3 different releases!". Probably a way to discourage people form importing (at least those who don't come here). As for the stripping extras......yeah I don't get that too

I think for me, the problem is that Manga is very much not addressing a lot of these issues (as far as I can see) - ie. the issues with chapter markers etc. It's miles away from Anime Ltd where you're pretty much guaranteed a response within the day. Gone are the days of fortnightly podcasts and Q&As from fans where stuff like this would be addressed.

I can understand Manga's reasoning behind it - I mean, they're probably in a situation where the profit made on some of these titles is so minuscule, any deviation from the prescribed release plan would mean that profit evaporates. But even so, it can't be good for continued customer goodwill.

Lutga said:
I think for me, the problem is that Manga is very much not addressing a lot of these issues (as far as I can see) - ie. the issues with chapter markers etc. It's miles away from Anime Ltd where you're pretty much guaranteed a response within the day. Gone are the days of fortnightly podcasts and Q&As from fans where stuff like this would be addressed.

That's probably down to schedule conflicts and people being busy (as 3 to 4 people need to be available on the same day to record podcast/ Q&A); but i agree those podcasts and events were fun/interesting.

Back