Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Maybe they're outsourcing the subs to Kaze these days and just giving them a quick read-through to correct the obvious French parts. My personal boycott of Manga UK is never going to end, is it?

R

Glad now I never use the subtitles on their titles. Increasingly convinced these days that the dub is prioritised over everything else & you should buy with that uppermost in your mind.

My copy of Patema came in (£11 Tier), the DVD was loose and there's two very obvious scratches on it as a result.

ATA really need to get their act together, you can be as front facing as you want to but delays (upwards of six months) and general cock ups don't get swepted away by a plea of "Please Understand".

ConanThe3rd said:
My copy of Patema came in (£11 Tier), the DVD was loose and there's two very obvious scratches on it as a result.

ATA really need to get their act together, you can be as front facing as you want to but delays (upwards of six months) and general cock ups don't get swepted away by a plea of "Please Understand".

Three useful details that make me query why the above is in this thread:

1. We didn't pack the discs.
2. We didn't ship them either.
3. We didn't deliver them for that matter.
[EDITED TO ADD] 4. There have only been two reports so far of delivery issues (yours + one smashed) - which all point to courier problems, not production

Both of the first two were done by Sony and the third by either Royal Mail or TNT (based on damage, I am guessing the latter but please let me know if I am wrong). All three things should not be difficult for a company like Sony to do if we can do from our own store easily enough (the only reason we didn't for Patema was the knowledge of how many needed done over a period we're already busy++ on).

We are shipping a fixed disc to you free of charge and not requesting it back so what, precisely, in this do we need to get our act together over?

I'm fine with complaints when we personally do mess up and I'm fine with issues people have, but it's a bit galling to see lines above out of frustration that are simply nothing to do with us and we proceed to fix after off our own backs.

I get that your upset the discs came like that and believe me, so am I as we're not paying Sony to fulfil just so that we have to then go and duplicate the cost + time on it here! But the above is counter productive and the only "win" here is really hurting my feelings.

Best,

Andrew

jonboy said:
I really hope the Patema ultimate edition's are packaged well because I am going to weep if that gets bashed up :wink:

If they are beaten up I'm going postal on TNT - because we've not asked the warehouse to do it just to have to re-supply and have already lodged one round of complaints on this.

AP

anime_andrew said:
I get that your upset the discs came like that and believe me, so am I as we're not paying Sony to fulfil just so that we have to then go and duplicate the cost + time on it here! But the above is counter productive and the only "win" here is really hurting my feelings.

Best,

Andrew
I think all of this is a mix of emotions from everyone really. A lot from yourself (understandably) due to putting your blood, sweat and tears into these releases, and also from the people at home who unfortunately come in contact with the problems that's (no pun intend) part and parcel with things being delivered. It comes with the territory I guess.

I feel that a lot of it is from a good place and I know that you understand that. People purchase things with their hand earned cash and when they come in less than desirable conditions people get upset. You agree with that, but I guess the issue is sometimes people get annoyed over things that are out of your hands and just aim it at people they know. It’s hard to blame it on an unknown force at the post office, but Anime Limited? The company that stick their neck out in order to communicate with the community and are a friendly face on the forums? I guess you can get a bit of passive aggressiveness from people at times in the midst of frustration. Sometimes it’s not meant to be malicious, people just get frustrated.

I think the thing to keep in mind is, yes Anime Limited has made some mistakes, and in all cases have worked hard to rectify them. That includes things out of their hands like a damaged disc, but something’s just aren't their fault. It’s not like they shipped the disc in a paper sleeve, or a box that doesn't hold the disc properly. I know for a fact that if you explain your problem calmly, Andrew and the crew are more than happy to help. They're in this business because they love the industry and an upset customer is not what they want. Everyone take a deep breath and play some Pokemon or Smash to calm the nerves, that's what I'm doing!

To add: AL have made efforts to sort this situation.

To clarify, both that post and the tweet were made at the same time and, like I've said before, the constant delay thing is a complete turn off and, unfortunately, there's little to nothing you can do there (Outside of maybe being a little more conservative with release dates) so I'm just going to need to vent in that regards and I've already made clear what happens when they delay product (I cancel the pre-order I have and get it on general release if and when I bumble into it as that beats the fifth e-mail from Amazon telling me I'm not getting what I've budgeted cash out for).

Not wishing to fan the flames, but personally, the delays don't phase me. Maybe that's because I have a pretty significant backlog to work through, or maybe it's because I figure better late than never (ie. I'd rather have any form of release than no release at all).

Ultimately, most of the delays have been only a few weeks/months either way - we live in an age where the focus is on the pre-order at all costs. As hardcore fans, it's in our nature to obsess over release dates - but to the wider public, I imagine things like this don't even really register.

Not saying delays aren't annoying - but the way I see it, as hardcore, super-analytical fans, the onus is on us to be patient.

(that said, year long delays like Manga's Evangelion 3.33 release *do* annoy me - even though I know it's out of their hands)

Lutga said:
Not saying delays aren't annoying - but the way I see it, as hardcore, super-analytical fans, the onus is on us to be patient.
I'm sorry but I have a budget I want to keep to and it does no favours to have something budgeted out for August only to have to re-budget it in October only for it to disappear into some time next year.

The need for the "ultiamte" version of Gurren Lagann is a lower priority to my patience and the relatively tight budget I work to.

Yeah really delays don't bother me, neither does the 3.33 delay as I got the Limited Japanese Blu-ray at release anyways. Really it just comes down to the fact that it means I have to juggle payments about if things collide, which is a big issue no doubt. That's why with Kickstarters I don't mind as I've already paid in advance. But with Pokemon, Smash, Kill la Kill, Space Dandy as well as Spirited Away and other things all coming out around the same time, I had to cancel KLK and Dandy. I know (hope) that they'll be available down the line in any case so it's no rush. It hurts to cancel something that you've got a good price on, that's why I bulldozed everything out of the way for Gurren Lagann ultimate as I ordered it for around £78. Couldn't let go of that! :p

Just so we're clear, I'm not putting a loose disc in as a glitch because I own literally thousands of DVDs/CDs/BDs and of those, dozens have arrived off their spindles and/or with scratches from shipping. Any disc can come off the majority of case designs (or in the case of CD jewel cases, any clumsy postman can break the hub and set the disc loose). It's not a manufacturer issue, it's an individual shipping issue, and unless they use some kind of unusually flimsy DVD case - which none of our manufacturers do - it's generally not consistent between shipments. In other words, it's bad luck.

The same goes for things like dented art boxes where they clearly suffered some kind of unusual trauma in transit. Put that kind of thing in the thread about what you received today by all means (preferably after seeing whether you can get it resolved if your aim is to complain, because this kind of thing happens every single day and is par for the course with the postal services).

R

ConanThe3rd said:
Lutga said:
I'm sorry but I have a budget I want to keep to and it does no favours to have something budgeted out for August only to have to re-budget it in October only for it to disappear into some time next year.

The need for the "ultiamte" version of Gurren Lagann is a lower priority to my patience and the relatively tight budget I work to.

If you are working to a tight budget why do you not have the discipline to set aside the money for a delayed item?

You are messing your own budget up by taking money allocated to one item that you really wanted and spending it on something extra. If something is delayed put the funds in a savings account, they'll be there when the item is released and you'll have a cash reserve should an emergency crop up.

Because I don't want to feel super crappy when AL punts (for example) FMP: All The Marbles edition and now I don't have ether the thing I wanted or the money to enjoy something that is actually available because it is locked (On my end) into something that might appear in the next six months.

Frankly speaking, I'd pay just a bit extra to just give AL the cash when the preorder opens and to not get my inbox flooded with Amazon apology slips. If they need to cancel the release (say they get SAO 2 and then suddenly Aniplex demands they put silly hats on screen every time Kirito says a word with the letter "e" in it), fine, I just get my money back and we both part ways on the subject knowing it wasn't to be.

As would I, which is the last I'll say on the subject.

Ok, got the replacement, the BR was loose this time but, thankfully it seems to have not been scratched in transit. (So, seriously, andrew, have words with the boxing guys cuz they're doing the wrong sort of boxing)

ConanThe3rd said:
As would I, which is the last I'll say on the subject.

Ok, got the replacement, the BR was loose this time but, thankfully it seems to have not been scratched in transit. (So, seriously, andrew, have words with the boxing guys cuz they're doing the wrong sort of boxing)

Argh! That's more worrying. I'll do some tests here then speak to Sony too as that isn't promising and is hardly rocket science.

Andrew

Back