Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

serpantino said:
At least you're more willing to fix your mistakes or at least admit to them though. Unlike Manga UK and some of the disgustingly bad releases they've done in the past (here's looking at you Freedom.)

I'm so glad I got that Beez collectors release, if I rember correctly it wasn't cheap but well worth it.

No disrespect to anyone left at Manga or in the team that authors these releases - but if they aren't seriously looking at addressing these issues, then that's pretty damn harsh to the fans who are putting up their cash for these titles.

Nice to know that Manga still aren't giving a toss about their releases at all. This is why I'm incredibly sceptical of Animatsu's releases, considering the two companies seem to be joined at the hip. If Manga are doing both the authoring and distributing then it's over.
I was interested in CROWDS but I'm not going to pre-order it at all if there's a chance I'm going to end up with a broken product.

I imagine the sensitivity around exactly that could cost Gatchaman some week 1 sales until it can be confirmed either way - I wonder if Animatsu will be as tight lipped about the issue as Manga are?

Aside from addressing the Eva push-back, have Manga actually put out any customer service announcements recently?

I've tweeted and left a FB message about the authoring issues but no response :/ it ain't good. Just look at that Fairy Tail Part 9 FB post, more and more people are becoming upset ..how much longer can they hold out giving us some form of explanation? They're very obviously aware of the issue.
I'm starting to think the social media guy/girl has been told to not say a thing about any BD cancellations and the whole variety of on disk issues. The higher ups are probably thinking/hoping the negative feedback will die down ....

I feel awful for the new media guy/girl.

Mangaranga said:
Nice to know that Manga still aren't giving a toss about their releases at all. This is why I'm incredibly sceptical of Animatsu's releases, considering the two companies seem to be joined at the hip. If Manga are doing both the authoring and distributing then it's over.
I was interested in CROWDS but I'm not going to pre-order it at all if there's a chance I'm going to end up with a broken product.

Exact thing I'm doing. Waiting for the Gatchaman reviews before touching a pre-order, just in case.

Lutga said:
I imagine the sensitivity around exactly that could cost Gatchaman some week 1 sales until it can be confirmed either way - I wonder if Animatsu will be as tight lipped about the issue as Manga are?

Aside from addressing the Eva push-back, have Manga actually put out any customer service announcements recently?

I would tweet them asking but is it Jerome running the social media? He gets so angry sometimes that I'm almost scared to ask haha.

I don't think they have, that's a good point.

Manga should be made to recall the fairy tail disks with that many issues, at the very least suppliers should be informed so they can opt to send back their stock.

Manga really seems to be seeing just how much they can get away with in the UK market. The quality of their releases really can't get much lower.

They'll be distributing bootleg quality 10+ episodes a disk next, probably burned on a tesco value dvd-r

In any other industry that kind of release would be seen as defective. Let's see whether a recall is publicised...

Manga UK are basically stealing from their own customers when they release this kind of DVD set with problems they know have cropped up time and time again in the past. I cannot justify spending any money at all on their output these days.

T

serpantino said:
Will it be fixed or is it not cost effective & worth doing? I have a few of Manga's lazy releases that have the super lazy 2 minute interval markers so I can live with it.

With disk errors & the like I just slip a piece of paper stating the errors so that if I forget when I come to watch it again, it's there for me to read. Dubbing errors, prolonged corrupt image etc is unforgivable though/

At least you're more willing to fix your mistakes or at least admit to them though. Unlike Manga UK and some of the disgustingly bad releases they've done in the past (here's looking at you Freedom.)

Unlikely in this case as it's a 3 episode stretch and again unlike a video or audio error doesn't actually disrupt the enjoyment too far (it's annoying but it's not devastating). We're unsure how it was missed honestly but as ever we'll keep a close eye going forwards on nav checks in-house too.

Speak soon!

AP

Wow that post was similar to my cowboy bebop one. I don't even remember making it lol. At least I am kinda consistent.

Thanks for the answer anyhow. Out of curiosity will you be fixing it for the standard release or will the disks be identical?

Courtesy of a rewatch...

Full Metal Alchemist: Volume 2 from MVM/Revelation, episode 8 has dubtitles only (the rest of the episodes have the correct choice between dubtitles and subtitles, but ep 8 has the dubtitle track twice.

Good Luck Girl! (Binbogami-ga!) - Complete Series [DVD]
UKAN said:
Given that this release was initially meant to be a Blu-ray only release and has now switched to being DVD only, it has brought up a few problems. Foremost amongst these issues is that the video is rather heavily compressed; this also seems to impact upon the subtitles making them hard to read at times. While they are not terrible to the point of being unreadable, they take time getting used to. This presents a problem if the show is being watched dubbed, as the subtitles for signs don't crop up frequently enough to get used to, meaning that some scenes need to be paused to properly read the subtitles. Other than this, the show looks good enough to get by on a DVD, but there are quite a few noticeable compression issues when a lot is going on in a certain scenes.

Putting those technical issues (and the inevitable badly-placed chapter markers! - Ed) aside the show is still fun and entertaining.

Ben-To - Complete Series [DVD]
UKAN said:
One part of the audio that doesn’t quite stand up is the dub - this release pulls the same trick as The Devil is a Part Timer and greatly lowers the volume of the soundtrack in the English audio presentation, making the audio mix sound off-kilter. The dub track also sounded overly compressed on my audio setup, which dragged down an already lacklustre set of voice performances.

A final note: you probably already guessed this given that this release is being put out by Manga Entertainment - the DVD chapter markers make zero sense. I managed to forget this at one point and landed myself 8 minutes into an episode when I only wanted to skip the opening. So be aware of that! Thankfully the video encode is competent, so the show looks perfectly fine.

Not sure if this has already been reported but in Samurai Champloo (Blu-Ray) ep 6, there are some Dutch men speaking to each other and the sign sub track doesn't translate this, I had to switch to the subtitle track.

This only affects you if your watching the English dub.

Shiroi Hane said:
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia seems to be another show which has come through the PAL speedup process with "wurbly" audio. More noticeable on the English track than the Japanese and unusually more obvious on the dialog than the music.
Same problem (to my ears at any rate) with Mysterious Girlfriend X (the English track at least, since I was doing other things while watching). MGX was authored by Seraphim Digital, and I believe (but haven't checked) that Dusk Maiden was too...

Shiroi Hane said:
Shiroi Hane said:
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia seems to be another show which has come through the PAL speedup process with "wurbly" audio. More noticeable on the English track than the Japanese and unusually more obvious on the dialog than the music.
Same problem (to my ears at any rate) with Mysterious Girlfriend X (the English track at least, since I was doing other things while watching). MGX was authored by Seraphim Digital, and I believe (but haven't checked) that Dusk Maiden was too...
You can't really blame the US company that did the audio work for the dub for something that was caused by the Australian distributor when they did their PAL conversion for the DVD release.

I can when the disc credits say it was their work. The credit screen on the disc has "Copyright Hanabee" at the bottom, but it says produced by Seraphim Digital and lists Seraphim/Sentai people like Janice Williams.

Shiroi Hane said:
I can when the disc credits say it was their work. The credit screen on the disc has "Copyright Hanabee" at the bottom, but it says produced by Seraphim Digital and lists Seraphim/Sentai people like Janice Williams.
That is because they used the masters supplied by sentai to create those PAL DVD masters and would contain the original ending credits, so this fault is down to them and not the source.

And just so I'm 100% clear, Gosick also suffers from the same issue and the masters from that release would have been from Japan and is also a PAL conversion so you shouldn't be blaming the source when the middle man does a piss poor job when it comes to QC and leaves the UK licenser with a release they can't fix if it had a PAL conversion since it would cost to put right and they might not make any money from it.

Back