Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Maybe it is my setup (PS3 into the stereo speakers on my TV) but something seems wrong with the audio on the Elfen Lied BD.
I was watching in English so I could follow the MCM news and there was a piece of piano BGM that sounded wrong - like a honkytonk piano sound in fact. I switched to the Japanese audio (audio and subs are fully unlocked BTW) but it was the same so I thought it might be intentional. The ED, however, also sounded wrong and now I'm more attuned to it, the OP is a bit off too.

I would assume the discs are the same as the US version so therefore the English dub has an audio issue where everything sounds muffled.

It has an FBI warning at the start and UKA's unboxing video showed a Seraphim credits page, so I assume they are identical to the US discs.
I've had similar problems with the audio on Sentai-authored DVDs all the time, but not a BD before.

OK, update - it sounds normal on my PC through PowerDVD, through the same TV speakers. I'm going to mess with my PS3's settings to see if I can improve it there.

--edit--

Well I'm confused now as it sounds fine on my PS3 now too, without making any changes. Either it was just a glitch yesterday or over 5 hours watching it my ears adjusted..

While not necessarily a 'Defect', Manga UK's release for Dragon Ball Z Kai includes the original composed music (Yamamoto) for the first two discs instead of the replacement (Kikuchi). Discs 3 and 4 have the replacement music. This was also a recurring theme in the Madman version for Season 1 and 2.

Funimation's original releases (aka the Parts) had the Yamamoto composed music until they were forced to change it with Season 3 Parts onwards, as well as replacing the music in their Season sets. Therefore both Manga and Madman are in fact using the Part masters instead of the Season masters.

As reported from both MyReviewer and AnimeBlu-rayUK.

Expect Season 2 to have this problem as well.

Naruto Shippuden Box 21 seems to have a major issue..

61XYuO9SaqL.jpg

Disc 2 is not Region 2.

Manga UK, YOU DONE F**KED IT UP.

Wow, just wow that must be one of the biggest screw ups ever, obviously they haven't bothered change the region from 4 to 2 as i'm guessing they use Madman's masters. This set has just been released right? Looks like they're going to have to recall all the sold discs and reauthor disc 2, just when we thought Manga UK was getting back on track :lol:

As I pointed out on twitter no-one at MangaUK / Fetch noticed the error and no-one who received the check / sample discs noticed it either. (including myself - although I haven't watched any Naruto Shippuden check discs other than the movies).

What's also quite baffling is how did the BBFC rate the set (and the disc itself) if disc 2 doesn't work on a UK Region 2 player - one can only assume they have multi-regional devices at their disposal.

The BBFC don't always get finished check discs. Sometimes they rate from the digital master files that the distros use to author their discs. (Makes it easier when something has to be cut)

EDIT: All my players are multi-region. I don't even know when a disc is from another region anymore. The only region locked player I have is the DVD-ROM in my laptop, and if I'm using VLC, I still won't know.

Just Passing Through said:
All my players are multi-region. I don't even know when a disc is from another region anymore. The only region locked player I have is the DVD-ROM in my laptop, and if I'm using VLC, I still won't know.

I was going to point out the games consoles but I guess you don't have one.

DragonBlaze67 said:
Wow, just wow that must be one of the biggest screw ups ever, obviously they haven't bothered change the region from 4 to 2 as i'm guessing they use Madman's masters. This set has just been released right? Looks like they're going to have to recall all the sold discs and reauthor disc 2, just when we thought Manga UK was getting back on track :lol:

The set just got released.

I only found out from noticing quite a lot of people rating the set '1 star' on Amazon. When I got to the comments.. wow.

Emo185 said:
As I pointed out on twitter no-one at MangaUK / Fetch noticed the error and no-one who received the check / sample discs noticed it either. (including myself - although I haven't watched any Naruto Shippuden check discs other than the movies).
It has been confirmed to be present on the check disc as well, but when UKA did their initial look at the set it was done on a region free player.

Nope. Another thing I've noticed with Space Dandy is that the Creditless Endings for episodes 20 - 26 all seem to have mono audio. Like with Gurren Lagann, downmixing the audio from the episodes to mono results in both audio streams sounding the same, whilst doing the same with the Creditless ending results in pretty much zero difference.

The audio for the episodes are fine though, it's just these extras.

Mangaranga said:
Nope. Another thing I've noticed with Space Dandy is that the Creditless Endings for episodes 20 - 26 and the 1m30 scenery gallery thingy all seem to have mono audio. Like with Gurren Lagann, downmixing the audio from the episodes to mono results in both audio streams sounding the same, whilst doing the same with the Creditless ending results in pretty much zero difference.

The audio for the episodes are fine though, it's just these extras.
Is this on DVD?

Back