Devil May Cry Movie Adaptation

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
First there were the videogames, then the manga, the figures and anime, now Variety <a href="http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118033032?refCatId=13">reports</a> that the videogame series &ldquo;Devil May Cry&rdquo; has been picked up by Screen Gems in an effort to create a live-action film to kick-start a new genre franchise.
<a title="Devil-May-Cry by Mercury Rex, on Flickr" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/genkinahito/5489115912/"></a>
Kyle Ward (writer for the upcoming Kane and Lynch movie) has been hired to write the script which revolves around the Character of Dante, the half-human, half-devil son of a legendary dark knight named Sparda who freed humanity from demons and married a human woman named Eva. After the death of Sparda, Eva was killed in a demon attack and Dante separated from his twin-brother Vergil. Dante, seeking vengeance, becomes a demon hunter whilst unaware that he will have to repeat his father&rsquo;s deeds.
Screen Gems have a history of interesting productions from Timecode to Easy A but, more importantly they have been behind similar genre movies like Underworld and have adapted Resident Evil, another Capcom videogames franchise.&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118033032?refCatId=13">Source</a>

*Facepalm*

Devil May Cry is a mocking of the supernatural genre. The actually fun of the series comes from how playable it is, with the combos, weapons, devil triggers, climbable environments. The plot itself really isn't anything to write home about.

There is no guarantee that they will go ahead with this. There are plenty of anime, manga and video games that have been licenced but have yet to see the light of day.

i'd actually like to see how it turns out (if it turns out) as a DMC fan i've got all the games, found them great fun (well... the last one let the side down, play halwfay through the game as nero and then back through the same levels as dante)

if done well, i can see this really working. not sure who would be the best actor for dante though. if its zac efron or something like that then it will be another facepalm to the industry *thinks back to how crap dragonball was*

*shivers*

Gonna have to replay the first DMC again at some point, but from what I remember that game has aged pretty badly, a slow, cumbersome and "technical" action game.

But yeah, this doesn't need to happen. Capcom have pretty much ruined themselves this gen and they started off so well too...

DMC is hardly movie material in my opinion, it's far too over the top for it to be replicated convincingly live action, and if I want to see **** get blown up I would wacth something different

King Jimmeh said:
*Facepalm*

Devil May Cry is a mocking of the supernatural genre. The actually fun of the series comes from how playable it is, with the combos, weapons, devil triggers, climbable environments. The plot itself really isn't anything to write home about.

Neither is Resident Evil's and they've made 5 (soon to be 6) movies from the franchise (including CGI movies)

I'm in agreement with most of what's being said here; I'm a big fan of the games but it was hardly because of the story - unless you count ironic amusement from the hammy voice acting and so-bad-it's-good dialogue... DMC has always been fundamentally style over substance and while an action game actually benefits from this in some ways I can only imagine a film being 2 hours of utter boredom.

The recent anime adaption was hardly stellar and videogame films have a poor enough track record as it is. Really hope that script stays safely in development hell.

Back