Difference in culture between japan anime and english toons

u1tradt

Hikikomori
Hey guys, I'm currently working on a case study for my A2 Media Studies exam coming up and one of the available topics was children and media. The question title I've gone for is 'Difference in culture between japanese anime and western cartoons' and the most crucial point to covering any ground on this is primary research with your opinions being the research.

I'm a very big and loyal anime fan but I can also remember the cartoons I used to watch as a kid like Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry and looking back, a lot of those cartoons had deeper intricate (sometimes negative) messages they were sending across. Basically I want to know what you guys think about the difference in culture and messages between far-eastern cartoons (anime) and western cartoons as a whole. Such as Naruto teaching kids to not judge people until you are familiar with their background as opposed to Sesame Street doing the exact opposite and teaching kids to label people based on their appearance.

Obviously examples would be very helpful and comparisons too, but please don't forget to simply give your opinion on which offers more positive messages and teachings and which offers negative stuff. Also include which you prefer ( based on messages and ideologies that is. Goes without saying that all of us here prefer anime :). )

Just basically help contribute to my research as my case study relies heavily on your opinions rather than my own.

All opinions would be extremely useful and appreciated.

Joined the forums for us to do your homework for you? :p

Personally, I think the main point is that while they both have a message of some sort, anime tends to have meaningful messages that can still work realistically in real life. Western cartoons have well meaning messages but they never work in practice.

Anime is more morally based than our cartoons for example, Fruits Basket, Tohru Honda has taught me many things to help me in life. What has Tom and Jerry taught me? Getting hit on the head with a hammer hurts.

Our toons are aimed to make children happy than actually teach them anything. When you get older you may decide that anime is better because it's more real life rather than the childish toons.

Does that help?

First off, this probably isn't the best place to post this, as people at anime forums generally know very little about non-Japanese animation.

As a general piece of advice, I'd suggest fleshing out your definitions a little. Explain what you mean by "Western", since the phrase is pretty subjective. Jot down what countries the term would cover, and then pick some to focus on. Don't fall into the trap of lumping all the Western countries together - you could write a decently sized essay covering the differences between American and British animation alone.

Also, since the topic is about children and the media, I think you should make it a little more clear that you're leaving out adult animation (which I assume is what you're doing). The title "Difference in culture between Japanese anime and western cartoons" doesn't really convey this...

by 'western' i mean whatever you see as western, specifically what you have watched and what you continue to watch, its not hard to give your opinion on the animated cartoons you watch is it?

Hold on a second, I think I might have misinterpreted something. Is "Difference in culture between japanese anime and western cartoons" a subject they've offered you, or one you've come up with yourself?

Ah, right.
In that case, I really don't think you should leave the definition of the word "Western" to the readers' personal interpretation. Maye you should consider replacing Western animation with English-language animation, or animation on British kids' TV (which would include dubbed and edited anime, but that might make the case study more interesting...)

One major difference is that anime covers all genres and is aimed at all types of audiences whereas western animation is only aimed at under 18 yr olds at most.

Ark said:
One major difference is that anime covers all genres and is aimed at all types of audiences whereas western animation is only aimed at under 18 yr olds at most.

Make your way through the films in the list at the bottom of this page and say that again.

This is what I meant when I said that people at anime forums generally know very little about non-Japanese animation.

Chrono Demon said:
Japan sucks in Live Action stuff, however...
!!! that is so not true.
try watching Gokusen, Great teacher Onizuka, Hana Yori Dango & 1 litre of tears (something like that). and say that again. sure at first these will seem corny as hell, but they grow on to you fast and is very entertaining.

as for the topc question itself...my opinions on Anime and 'western' animation. hmmmm...
i could say, the west loves to edit and hack most of the shows that air... lol (4kids anyone?)
this also brings up the fact that this could mean that, in the west 'we' believe that toons are for a younger audience, whereas in japan it is for all age groups
to be specific anime is aimed at a specific target audience. eg. One piece is aimed at all ages & genders, whereas something that has lots of fanservice like err...Girls bravo or something is aimed at teenage boys aged 16 and over)

Really, South Park is far more thought-provoking than pretty much any anime I've ever seen.

It's kinda crude in getting its points across sometimes, but it still gives both sides of whatever the subject matter is, but very rarely tried to force either view onto the audience.

Yeah, Michael Jefferson should grow up and let his son play out with the other kids. But still...he never got a proper childhood of his own, so he's having it now. Is it right? Is it wrong? Decide yourself, don't let a cartoon give you moral guidance.

Maybe not valid for the essay or whatever, with it being an "adult" cartoon (but the DVDs are rated 15, which is still technically child age...so whatever)...just for discussion's sake really.

MonkeyFunk said:
Ark said:

Make your way through the films in the list at the bottom of this page and say that again.

This is what I meant when I said that people at anime forums generally know very little about non-Japanese animation.

I was thinking more in terms of series than films. I don't actually like that many anime films.

I find that the majority of anime I watch just seem to be much more infused with meaning and passion.Thats not to say western animation doesint have this, its just anime seems to do it on a far more regular basis.

But if you want differences look at simple things like the style, mass distribution, and the influence it has on people, as is evident in the surge in western interest in anime(and manga of course)

One good comparision would be that of between Disney and Miyazaki(Miyazaki hands down for me for obvious reasons), when I was young there probably wasint a disney movie I didint see, but I just wouldint watch them anymore, whereas with Miyazaki, Id watch his movies forever, thats not me saying either option is wrong, Im just stating a difference like you asked.

Hope this helped.

MonkeyFunk said:
people at anime forums generally know very little about non-Japanese animation.

After reading through the posts in this thread, I'm inclined to agree.

I, personally, much prefer anime because it's more diverse, the style appeals to me more and it's unique in the West. However, I do acknowledge that cartoons have achieved just as much as anime in terms of cinema - anime may have made me laugh, cry and think - but western 'toons have done that too.

Besides, nothing anime will ever do will be as funny, poetic, thought-provoking and political (usually at the same time) as something like South Park!

I am quite amazed by 'Western' Animation as well as Japanese animation. The process they both go through are totally different.

Although one usually has a lot more substance, The other usually has awe inspiring visuals or brilliant singular storytelling, This isn't always the case.

I really can't go on without mentioning the brilliance of both story-wise and animation-wise of the Nickelodeon 'cartoons' Invader ZIM and Ren & Stimpy. Both creators of them shows (Jhonen Vasquez and John K) really do care about their shows a lot, less can be said about Jhonen of course.

Culture-wise, Of course there is a lot of different, Because they are mainly intended for the audience the animation is being created in, Hence a lot of the script writing.

. . . I can't be bothered to finish this. . . I would talk about nonsensical things until I pass out.

Not sure if it's already put down above but...Anime usually changes it's animation during fights to appear more fluid. Makes it seem more real whilst still restricting it to anime.

Back