Difficulty in Games

Omaru_SD said:
I've always liked games growing up, but alot of the time I spent watching other people play. That eventually changed and I started playing more but I was always rubbish and never completed most games.

When I eventually came to own a playstation I used a game genie to get things done, same with the ps2 I was too afraid of failing. This actually lead to me being reluctant to buy a current gen system but I did. For most games I try to go for the easiest setting available. I went through Yakuza 3 last month without losing a single match only to attempt a challenge after, Rikiyu wiped the floor with me.

To you guys that are skilled out there, kudos, I am playing Gears of War (the first one) at the moment, and I died seven times on the first section where you get to use a fixed machine gun, the Berzerker killed me three times and the NPC following me twice, and I've even died from the swarms three times.

Am I a terrible gamer? put it this way I wanted a mode in FF7/8/9 where you just walked from town to town experiencing the story with none of the fighting...

I used to be like that, I was terrible at games as a kid, cheated horrendously at all of them. I'm still no top tier gamer but I'm competent enough, but I still don't like hard games. I play games for fun and to enjoy myself, losing and dying is not a fun time for me.

Omaru_SD said:
Am I a terrible gamer? put it this way I wanted a mode in FF7/8/9 where you just walked from town to town experiencing the story with none of the fighting...

We all start somewhere, practice makes perfect and tbh once you've pinned what button does what in which game it takes little more than a minute to accustom to any game you've previously played for anymore than 10mins. You'd be surprised just how good you are if you are more optimistic about your gaming prowess.

As for the closing paragraph - i agree with that but thats because i'd prefer to see FF as a interactive film like heavy rain instead of the rpg that it is lol.

Tachi said:
Omaru_SD said:

We all start somewhere, practice makes perfect and tbh once you've pinned what button does what in which game it takes little more than a minute to accustom to any game you've previously played for anymore than 10mins. You'd be surprised just how good you are if you are more optimistic about your gaming prowess.

As for the closing paragraph - i agree with that but thats because i'd prefer to see FF as a interactive film like heavy rain instead of the rpg that it is lol.

Agreed, all you need is a training montage!

Oh I've definitely gotten better, but partially because games have gotten easier. When I had a brief period in which I played online I was pretty awful at CoD but even so I was one of the last names on the leaderboards but not very last, stuff like Red Dead Undead Nightmare and AC: Brotherhood I fared much better in.

I personally think as a whole gaming has gotten easier, both in terms of genuine challenge and improvement in controls, for example, the first two Timesplitters I struggle with, mainly due to how, by today's standards (and even back then in fact) the controls are unusual, they're very precise, and getting headshots in is tricky for me now, maybe I'm just rusty though.

Well, with console games, there's a huge amount of auto aim on for the shooters. I'll always prefer to play shooters on the PC because of this; as I tend to play a sniper in MP, the autoaim actually makes it harder, but without it you're left with the imprecision of a pad.

Not my favourite scenario.

I've got a big collection of SNES classics I occasionally whip out and play (the last was Zelda about 3-4 months ago) and they do remind you at times how much easier gaming has got overall.

SOMETIMES it's because the game wants to tell you a good story and that's the focus...other times though it's just plain easier.

Well I've been playing Arkham City and while the main story on normal wasn't all that taxing the challenges are TOUGH, I think that's a pretty good balance. The challenges are just bonuses, getting medals doesn't get you anything but achievements, but it's good for hardcore gamers and if you're not up to it you can just ignore it. I think that's the best way around difficulty IMO.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Well I've been playing Arkham City and while the main story on normal wasn't all that taxing the challenges are TOUGH, I think that's a pretty good balance. The challenges are just bonuses, getting medals doesn't get you anything but achievements, but it's good for hardcore gamers and if you're not up to it you can just ignore it. I think that's the best way around difficulty IMO.
Agreed, quite a lot of the PS1/2-era platformers used the same formula and it's a shame that not many games use it nowadays

memorium said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Agreed, quite a lot of the PS1/2-era platformers used the same formula and it's a shame that not many games use it nowadays

HNNNNNNNNGHFFFFFFFFFFFFF Ok, New Game Plus is HARD. I got my ass kicked in the first fight... the FIRST. FIGHT. I get the sense I'm not going to 1000/1000 City like I did Asylum :p not least because I'll have to complete the challenges 4 times -_-' That one level with 2 titan thugs AND one of the Commie bros...

Back