Director Makoto Shinkai will answer your questions!

Dax said:
I have three questions, if possible, both very direct and I hope interesting for everyone. I personally dislike questions who are not about his works.

Basically, I wanted to ask :
1) what does the scene where Toono and Kanae see the rocket in Byousoku 5 cm wants to represent?

2) what does the tower symbolize in The Place Promised in Our Early Days (kumo no mukou yakusaku no basho) ?

3) Does he think that the Fukushima events will eventually have a place or influence his next movie?

Oh and, sorry for my bad english, guys.

The answer to 1 and 2 is clearly cocks.

Mohawk52 said:
I've seen all of your movies that have been released to us here in the UK and I've notice an underlying theme of unrequited love in all of them. Do you have any ideas that would show your talent in a different light, for example like a happy ending for once?
fwiw (in case he doesn't get to answer this question in the interview), he said at the premiere of Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo that you can expect to see him continuing to explore pretty much the same themes in his upcoming works to those he has used in his films up to now.

ilmaestro said:
Mohawk52 said:
I've seen all of your movies that have been released to us here in the UK and I've notice an underlying theme of unrequited love in all of them. Do you have any ideas that would show your talent in a different light, for example like a happy ending for once?
fwiw (in case he doesn't get to answer this question in the interview), he said at the premiere of Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo that you can expect to see him continuing to explore pretty much the same themes in his upcoming works to those he has used in his films up to now.
Then I'm afraid he's going to get rather old and thread bear to the point fans will stop being fans anymore. Then what will he do, go back to making backgrounds for video games again? Ask him that one. :wink:

I asked him that, he said "it is nice to field sarcastic questions from such creative luminaries as Mohawk52, but I feel like the depth of human longing and emotion can be explored in longer than the 5 hours or so of movie I've made so far". :p

Questions have been compiled, proof-read, revised and are ready to be sent to a translator. This is your last chance to squeeze another question before we have the final translation!
Oh, and as mentioned before, we only get to ask him a few questions, so I'll filter the ones we will be sending to him.

ilmaestro said:
I asked him that, he said "it is nice to field sarcastic questions from such creative luminaries as Mohawk52, but I feel like the depth of human longing and emotion can be explored in longer than the 5 hours or so of movie I've made so far". :p
Cute. You might think it's "sarcastic", but film critics are dead serious. :wink:

Great interview, thanks! I love how he's so "Anime industry? Eh, I don't know bout that ish, I just do my own thing". Brilliant.

I also loved the way he actually made London sound like a half beautiful place in that last bit.

Really enjoyed reading that, thanks for putting it together, chaos. :)

His answers to a couple of the questions (Rui's, for example) were particularly interesting.

My response to his reply is:

Mate if you can direct movies like you do and achieve the great results that you have up until now, you definitely have the ability to direct a TV series, no mistake. Sure it's a lot of work, but isn't that what it's all about? I mean you are doing this for a living, yes? :wink:

Back