Disappearance of Haruhi blu-ray

mangaman74

Akatsuki
[http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/The_Disappearance_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya%27s_UK_Blu-Ray_release_suffers_further_delays.html

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya's UK Blu-Ray release suffers further delays. Now slated for 2012 release, DVD release still on schedule.

We've already seen some delays to the UK release of the much-anticipated movie from Kyoto Animation, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, but if you were explicitly waiting for the film's Blu-Ray release then here's even more bad news to try your patience a little further.

The UK distributor for the film, Manga Entertainment, has now confirmed via their Facebook page that although the movie's DVD release will indeed appear on retail shelves on November 7th as planned, the planned Blu-Ray release of the movie has now been delayed until February 2012, with a release now expected on the 20th of that month.

Manga Entertainment cites "major problems with the Blu-Ray's production" as the reason for the latest delay, before going on to explain these issues via the following statement:

"We received the Blu-Ray master some weeks ago and had check discs for QC received early last week. We discovered that the disc does not play on the PS3, which as you can imagine is a major problem! So, we now have to re-author the BD from scratch. Authoring for BD is tremendously difficult and not straightforward at all. I am gutted this has happened as the Haruhi movie is one of our biggest BD releases of the year. On behalf of Manga, I am deeply sorry for the disappointment this delay will cause the many loyal UK Haruhi fans and customers we are fortunate enough to do business with."

Glad I got the Region A blu-ray now :D.

That's rotten, but at least they're doing quality control now >_>;

I'm sure anyone who genuinely wanted to buy it and has waited this long will still wait, but waiting until well after Christmas sucks.

R (I also have the region A)

Rui said:
Heh. Well, I s'pose they couldn't really ignore the disc not playing on PS3. The (fully justified) nerdrage would have broken the internets.

Oh well. I could always buy the US release and give my laptop's BD drive a workout, but I'd feel bad about punishing Manga for something that's out of their control. Hopefully "2012" means January.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Rui said:
Heh. Well, I s'pose they couldn't really ignore the disc not playing on PS3. The (fully justified) nerdrage would have broken the internets.

Oh well. I could always buy the US release and give my laptop's BD drive a workout, but I'd feel bad about punishing Manga for something that's out of their control. Hopefully "2012" means January.

Manga have already said they are hoping 20th February 2012 (it said so in the above article).

Oh for f--- sake Manga! What the hell?! Sure, I can see it being an inconvience to some...but the PlayStation 3 isn't the only blu-ray player available! Why couldn't they just attach a disclaimer that it won't work on PlayStation 3 consoles, then re-author their own that can for the next batch?

(Sorry, had a tiring stressful day...car broke down, got locked out of house, had to go to the builders and carry a ladder to my house...urgh).

mangaman74 said:
Manga have already said they are hoping 20th February 2012 (it said so in the above article).
God damn it. That's what happens when I skim read.

20th February is a long way off, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were further delays. Urge to import: rising.

Joshawott said:
Oh for f--- sake Manga! What the hell?! Sure, I can see it being an inconvience to some...but the PlayStation 3 isn't the only blu-ray player available! Why couldn't they just attach a disclaimer that it won't work on PlayStation 3 consoles, then re-author their own that can for the next batch?

(Sorry, had a tiring stressful day...car broke down, got locked out of house, had to go to the builders and carry a ladder to my house...urgh).

We're still at the point where 80% of the Blu-ray players in the world are PS3s, even if they aren't all used for home cinema. And it is Sony technology, if it doesn't glitch they're doing something wrong. It's 2011, getting close to 2 decades into the DVD cycle, and I still get Sony DADC authored DVDs that will throw errors in my Sony DVD player, but play flawlessly on my Panasonic.

But, yeah, they need to make sure that it works on a PS3 first and foremost.

But when it comes to authoring a Blu-ray disc correctly, it's exponentially more difficult, with an encyclopaedia of compliance and conformity to adhere to. This ANN Cast is well worth listening to, it has the Funimation bods in to explain how DVD and Blu-ray mastering works, and it's scary as to just how easy it is to f*** up a Blu-ray disc.

It's been 5 years since Blu-ray was first launched and they still haven't streamlined the process. It's cause the damn format is constantly changing and evolving, with upgrades and additions, BD LIve this and Java that, with players being upgraded with firmware every so often, and everything having to remain backwards compatible.

It's a shame that Disappearance has had to be delayed again. I'm just glad that Manga are going to fix it.

FFS. I'd love to support the UK anime industry but it seems to be doing its damndest to stop me. An import is on the cards for this one I feel.

Just Passing Through said:
It's been 5 years since Blu-ray was first launched and they still haven't streamlined the process. It's cause the damn format is constantly changing and evolving, with upgrades and additions, BD LIve this and Java that, with players being upgraded with firmware every so often, and everything having to remain backwards compatible.

It still amazes me that Blu ray started development before HD-DVD and yet HD-DVD at its launch managed to be a more stable platform than Blu is years down the line.

If it's that difficult to make a working blu-ray disc, I have to wonder once again why they are having to go through all that work just to add a static BBFC logo and change the region lock. My region A played perfectly on PS3.

It's so frustrating!

R

Silanda said:
It still amazes me that Blu ray started development before HD-DVD and yet HD-DVD at its launch managed to be a more stable platform than Blu is years down the line.
Older tech that doesn't get worked on and improved over time is almost always more "stable", surely.

ilmaestro said:
Silanda said:
Older tech that doesn't get worked on and improved over time is almost always more "stable", surely.

It took until BD2.0 for bluray to have the feature set of hd-dvd like picture in picture, and early blurays were still being encoded in mpeg2 meaning that they had to drop frames and some quality for it to fit on a single layer disc.

HD-DVD also was far cheaper to make a master for as it had better programming tools and was far, far cheaper than bluray to replicate discs due to the fact that no new replication units were required.

While having a lower capacity and a slightly lower bitrate ceiling made it an inferior format, the cost benefit in terms of the mastering, replication and having a finalised standard initially made it a more attractive format for both consumers and producers.

The only reason bluray won the format war was that it was supported by the PS3, and even now is still a lousy format for games with the max read speed still being lower than dvd and both the mastering and replication costs far outstripping dvd actually making it more cost effective to be on multiple dvds if required for the xbox and pcs. The only reason most ps3 games fill a bluray is that multiple copies of the game are on the disc to try and increase the read rate by reading the data at the outer edge of the disc.

The main reason Blu-ray won was because it facilitated the continuation of regional market protectionism (aka coding). As for all these features they keep coming up with... how many people actually use them? I'm happy to have the feature presentation in well encoded 1080p with high quality sound. Extra documentaries and commentaries are nice but superfluous, and things like picture in picture are gimmicky and pointless.

sniper_samurai said:
ilmaestro said:
Silanda said:

It took until BD2.0 for bluray to have the feature set of hd-dvd like picture in picture, and early blurays were still being encoded in mpeg2 meaning that they had to drop frames and some quality for it to fit on a single layer disc.

HD-DVD also was far cheaper to make a master for as it had better programming tools and was far, far cheaper than bluray to replicate discs due to the fact that no new replication units were required.

While having a lower capacity and a slightly lower bitrate ceiling made it an inferior format, the cost benefit in terms of the mastering, replication and having a finalised standard initially made it a more attractive format for both consumers and producers.

The only reason bluray won the format war was that it was supported by the PS3, and even now is still a lousy format for games with the max read speed still being lower than dvd and both the mastering and replication costs far outstripping dvd actually making it more cost effective to be on multiple dvds if required for the xbox and pcs. The only reason most ps3 games fill a bluray is that multiple copies of the game are on the disc to try and increase the read rate by reading the data at the outer edge of the disc.
Is that meant to be relevant to what I said? If the key point of the post was that HD-DVD was a less technically forward-thinking format and that it has taken time for BD to catch up in some other areas, it was a pretty long winded way of saying "I agree".

Although I would disagree than any technical or cost issues have a bearing on something being more attractive to consumers in a situation like this - people en masse are not fond of making decisions or forming opinions when someone else can do it for them - they will buy what they are sold the hardest, whether it is better, worse, cheaper, or dearer.

ilmaestro said:
Is that meant to be relevant to what I said? If the key point of the post was that HD-DVD was a less technically forward-thinking format and that it has taken time for BD to catch up in some other areas, it was a pretty long winded way of saying "I agree".

Although I would disagree than any technical or cost issues have a bearing on something being more attractive to consumers in a situation like this - people en masse are not fond of making decisions or forming opinions when someone else can do it for them - they will buy what they are sold the hardest, whether it is better, worse, cheaper, or dearer.

Just saying how much of a pain in the ass blu-ray has been for everyone since the beginning.

Btw cost was an extremly significant factor in this format war. Bluray was being sold hard but no one was buying it until the ps3 was released due to a ridiculous £600 price difference between hddvd and bluray players. Seriously would you have paid £1000 for a bluray player over £400 for a hddvd if you could splash the cash? Thats why the price of the PS3 was so important, while being expensive for a console was very cheap as a bluray player and the sales of bluray movies finally started outstripping hddvds month on month.

ayase the ability to region lock films on bluray was also just about to be a non issue as region locking was going to be added to future hddvd players and discs.

Problem is now - do I buy the DVD in November, or do I wait for the Blu-Ray in February? Considering I really don't want to double dip.

sniper_samurai said:
Seriously would you have paid £1000 for a bluray player over £400 for a hddvd if you could splash the cash?
I bought neither, because I knew the PS3 was coming. :lol: Paid a **** load for an early DVD player, though.

Price was not an issue for anyone other than early adopters, BD was not a massmarket product until the PS3 came out - and arguably not even until a little after that.

Oh Manga, everything you touch you destroy
dR5Dy.gif

At least they're not releasing a shoddy, broken release. If it won't run on the PS3, who's to say the release would work perfectly on other players either?

I don't watch that many anime movies, but DoHS is definately on my 'to buy' list, as, although it's a 'fan movie' rather than standalone, it's actually pretty good, and looks very nice in places. Definately worth a buy, especially if the BD ends up about £10 like TGTLTT/Summer Wars did.

Back