Disgaea 3

have you played FF Tactics? if so....same principle
aparently its not loved for its graphics...but for its story....

Wikioedia said:
Disgaea 3 is a Tactical Role Playing Game. Most of the game involves battles on square-grid maps where the player moves their characters to destroy all the enemy characters.

The bonus maps and characters cannot be accessed until the final boss is defeated, at which point an epilogue chapter opens, where the player may choose to continue to the extra maps, or to replay the entire game with stronger characters as in previous titles.

FF Tactics and Disgaea are very different things, even though they're in the same genre. Disgaea is light-hearted and humorous, and you have much more freedom to do things in between battles. I've only played the first Disgaea game and it's one of my all-time favourites, so I can't imagine Disagea 3 is a bad game.

You could probably go into Disgaea 3 without any prior knowledge of one or two, but it usually helps a little, i mean in 2 you had the main characters from 1(Laharl and Etna primarily) appearing in the main storyline, but it doesn't mean you have to know who they are as its explained to enough detail for 2. Its just always quite nice to know a bit more though, hah. As for 3, i'm not entirely sure what to expect in it, i know there will be DLC in terms of extra character fights and so on, but i'm not sure too much about the storyline. My brother says in terms of chapters, there is less but more levels per instead and feels longer, plus the new additions to the battle system are quite nice. Only downside apparently is that there is less Prinnies.

And yeah, Disgaea is not a game you go into for graphics, your characters are fine anyway, but its the maps that people would probably have gripes at with, but why i wouldn't know, thats nothing to even bother with, its gameplay and story you want a game for, or at least it used to be from what i remember =/

Wait...are people seriously bashing Disgaea for it's graphics? :eek:

Personally, I thought it was a stunning looking game with fantastic artwork.

Kaede said:

I think it's to do with the fact that it isn't a huge jump from Disgea 2 to Disgea 3. There are people complaining that 'it isn't on the PS2' and cannot afford the PS3.

I do agree with them in a way. They should release it on the PS2. There's reason not to...

Chrono Mizaki said:
Kaede said:

I think it's to do with the fact that it isn't a huge jump from Disgea 2 to Disgea 3. There are people complaining that 'it isn't on the PS2' and cannot afford the PS3.

I do agree with them in a way. They should release it on the PS2. There's reason not to...

To an extent i guess i can see what they mean, however Disgaea 3 Has a lot of DLC to come with it too, ok its generally extra characters and such, but its still DLC, and you wouldn't get that on the PS2.

But again, if you are bashing Disgaea for its graphics then its safe to say you are looking into Disgaea for the complete wrong reasons.

Meh, I think Nippon Ichi were jus trying to get a position in this whole console war. Not really much in actually having it on the PS3 personally, but as you see from such things as having the downlable content, you kind of see why. But as far as graphic transition goes between 2 to 3, there is nothing different at all. Even some of the skills (eg;GigaFire) look so much better to 2 than they are on 3 as they actually do show of the games true 3d modelling, 3 just uses ALOT of the 2D artwork (not saying its bad)

I posess Phantom Brave, although I have not played it yet despite my having it for a year or so. My Playstation 2 does not accept Compact Discs, unfortunetly.

I was tempted to buy Disgaea 2 from a shop once, but I didn't. I ca'n't remember why, it might have been due to the price as it is quite a rare find.

As someone who really got into the tactics of Disgaea, I'd suggest trying the first game (probably quite cheap now) before getting any of the others.

One of my friends who's a big anime RPG fan hates the game because of the intensely tactical game mechanic.

Or he could just go level up I suppose...

Makai Kingdom wasn't that complicated actually, it was similar to Phantom Brave but with a few variations of its own, like vehicles that your characters could use on maps and take buildings with you as well.

I enjoyed Makai Kingdom, but it really, really pales in comparison to Disgaea. The story isn't as funny, the battles were not as clever and the characters weren't as interesting. I did enjoy the vehicles, though. I'm pretty sure I didn't like the removal of a grid for battling, though.

Back