Do you read manga?

Do you read manga?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Miaka-chan said:
Anyone else wondered where the 1% has gone??!!
92% yes, 7% no, that only equals 99% :lol:
As i was the only one to vote "no", but do now in fact own a copy of Azumanga (the Manga duh ^^) it would seem that all 99% of us vote yes!

Tjis is completely off topic and something i probably should know and since this topic is like that now i was wondering - why does it mean when a topic in a forum is 'sticky'

Charter_Mage said:
Tjis is completely off topic and something i probably should know and since this topic is like that now i was wondering - why does it mean when a topic in a forum is 'sticky'

Means it stays at the top of the forum :D

i am currently working my way through GTO im on volume 14 and loving every second of it, i have recently read king of bandits jing, .hack/sign, lone wolf and cub, samurai executioner (first 2), dn angel, angel sanctuary, angelic layer, apocalypse meow, and a few others. but mostly i watch dvd's.

KittySeras said:
Miaka-chan said:
Evil thing, maths! Vile invention of the devil
maths, a thing invented to numb our brains and torture us throughout are lives.
Were it not exam season, I would be quite willing to defend my subject vigorously. Sadly, exams take all the fun out of any academic subject.

Noghri said:
there is very little deviation, the GTO manga inspired the anime
Most manga inspires the anime, but not all anime follows true to the original manga!! but as you feel there's little deviation between the 2, maybe you could let Charter_Mage know what the manga is like!!

well sure, but he/she asked if anyone else had read it.

also i am well aware that not all anime stays to the plot, but as i stated this is pretty much the same.

basically its a bout the greatest techer who ever lived.
he is an ex karate champion and street gang leader. who descides that being a teacher is probably a good way to get chicks, he is a 22 year old virgin who cant get a girl to take him seriously. Although he gets into teaching for the completely wrong reasons, he manages to tame the class from hell, and sort out his own life in the process. Onizuka has managed to win over just about everyone in the books and just about everyone i know. i recommend anyone to at least get the first three novels, if you dont love it by then then it may not be for you.

some people dont like to watch /read the same things over and over, after reading 20 odd volumes of manga, buying the anime at £20 per volume for exactly the same content may result in less sales.

KittySeras said:
Why does the anime never follow the plot og the manga? This has always bugged me,does anyone know?
A large variety of reasons, not least of all being that it's written by different people. Some more reasons, and (hopefully accurate) examples of what I mean are:
  • Sometimes the anime writers will simply want to do something other than what the original author has done (Excel Saga), or to tell a different story in the same world (R.O.D);
  • Often they won't be able to make it the same, as the manga isn't finished (Hellsing);
  • They may need to expand a short story in order to fill a TV series (Marmalade Boy), or contract a long one into a movie or OVA (Nausicaä);
  • They may be trying to aim the anime at a different (i.e. broader) market (Sailor Moon).
  • Knowing more of the future plot, it might seem better to re-arrange some events to make them fit better (I can't think of an example of this one ...);
  • Some things simply work better or worse in film than in print, for whatever reason (Azumanga Daioh, although this happens everywhere, but most changes are fairly minor).

I can't think of any other reasons at the moment ... does anyone else have anything to add? Or some better examples?

KittySeras said:
Why does the anime never follow the plot og the manga? This has always bugged me,does anyone know?
Quite a lot of manga and anime follow each other almost word for word/scene for scene, with the odd "iffy" scene changed or cut out.

Colin has hit the nail on the head with what he has said and I often think his first example is the widest used, as many anime writers seem to get swept away with what they're doing and enjoy making things up that had absolutely nothing to do with the original story. The best example of this is Sailor Moon, the entire Alan and Ann (Ail & An) story arc from the "R" season was invented by the anime writer after he had previously invented the "R" movie, leaving Naoko Takeuchi pretty pissed, which inspired her to write the "S" movie before someone else got in there first! She also had nothing to do with the SuperS movie, which is probably why the "S" movie is the better of the 3!!

I must admit I've wondered why anime writers have turned a reasonably short running manga into an extremely long running anime. Kodocha/Child's Toy is a good example of this. The manga is 10 volumes and yet the anime runs for 102 episodes! The other one that bugs me is when a long running manga is made into a short running anime with a crap ending because the manga wasn't finished, the best example of this being His and Her Circumstances/Kare Kano!

Back