Doctor Who - Naruto influences?

Animated FatCat

Student Council President
Did anyone watch the latest episode of new Doctor Who ('the impossible planet'), it finished airing a few minutes ago as I write this. I loved the old ones but I'm not really a fan of the new (apart from the very rare odd episode which is alright). IN fact I think it's rubbish, nonsense with bad writing and direction that's always dressed up as brilliant with rose-tinted glasses of how great the previous series were but in all honesty if it wasn't called "Doctor Who" it would recieve a critical mauling, it's a children's tv, saturday 7pm watered down kids show, a real remake would be higher budgeted and more serious and at a later time rather than the lazy, formulaic, repetitve sorytelling that is shown week after week and is supposed to be partly tongue in cheek but comes off as amatuerish, stale and cringeworthy, bum kissing bafta winning rubbish...

/deep breath

anyway. That's another story. This particular episode seemed to have one of Oriochimaru's cursed seal puppets with the spitting image of the black face markings, the red eyes, the mutterings of a beast seled within a seal etc.

Maybe one of the advisor's/producers/writers is a naruto fan, or has gotten some ideas from the manga/anime series. It's happened before with a programme called avatar where the creator openly admitted he spent time in apan observing anime and gaining influences. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Maybe :wink:

O_O

Didn't realize, it could be a possibility, also in the previews to next weeks episode when they're in the air vents it seemed to have taken the part from Aliens where the survivors escape in an air duct.

So basicly they're just "borrowing" ideas to be "original" and "fresh". ;D

[Billie Piper's still hot.]

not that i watch Dr Who but i've noticed from other forums that apparently last weeks ep had a lot of Doom links in it too

Personally, they completely stole the plot from 'Event Horizon'

Not a bad thing though - it must have took some effort to take the plot of that horrific and gory film and somehow get just about the entire theme of it into a piece of family viewing without losing the effect! 8)

Well I didn't really think much of the episode (first one of this new series that I've seen), but I don't know that you can really say that it's stealing stuff from other shows. Big evil demon thingy sealed away? Possession, glowing red eyes and strange markings? Running around in air vents/access tunnels when the computer goes crazy? Basic stuff like this has been done in so many shows, trying to say exactly which show they took it from is kinda futile.

The episode to me kinda made me think it had connections to the fact that it is the 6/6/06 on tuesday...and that kinda made me think it was connected with the slight mention of it :?

Ramadahl said:
Well I didn't really think much of the episode (first one of this new series that I've seen), but I don't know that you can really say that it's stealing stuff from other shows. Big evil demon thingy sealed away? Possession, glowing red eyes and strange markings? Running around in air vents/access tunnels when the computer goes crazy? Basic stuff like this has been done in so many shows, trying to say exactly which show they took it from is kinda futile.

I wasn't speaking generally, I was specifically referring to one character who looked pretty much as Sasuke/the other Orochimaru henchmen do when the curse power begins to take over their bodies. It seems to be a direct lift rather than another take on a general theme. If you've seen Naruto, then you'll know what I mean.

It isn't really that similar when you take into account all the other films which use the same imagery and plot. Demonic writing on the skin isn't even that original. Have you ever considered that Naruto has copied from the same sources?

Since Dr Who doesn't do religion, it seems likely to me that it is not actually the Christian devil, although we are meant to think it is, plus the date coinciding. My bet is on the Face of Bo's evil twin.

Yup, cornixt beat me to it. I know the bit you were referring to and sure, there's a strong similarity. But Naruto wasn't the first to use this imagery, and I very much doubt Dr. Who will be the last.

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't know what Animated FatCat was talking about, here's a pic;

sasuke_cursed.jpg

I know it's a general theme and it's nothing new, and I know Naruto has also copied it from various other sources. I was alluding to the similarity of this particular design, Dr. Who here seems to have been directly influenced by the Naruto one, almost as if one of the show's production staff is aware of Naruto and incorporated a similar style, thats all :wink:

Then again they may not have have either :?

I was going to say that it could be a coincidence, but these red eyes as well... Now I'm not so sure!

Heh, just watched the second one, surely this was the clincher? He breathed fire! Sasuke has an Uchiha fire breathing technique as well.

C'mon, it may be a well worn theme but in this case you can join the dots. Someone's got to have seen Naruto and used it's influence, surely it's not just coincidence 8)

If it was true, it would be really interesting. It would continue to signal the growing influence of anime on the western media as we saw in the South Bank Show documentary. But we have no way of knowing for sure :?

i thought it was not bad...different..and i can't really say anything with naruto considering i have yet to see a single episode of it.

That's a nice set of coincidences there, but unless the markings crawl into an actual seal of any sort and they grow horns I'm willing to accept it as mere coincidence.

Not impossible, but still likely coincidence.

Back