Dragon Age Animated film and Mass Effect movie confirmed

Arbalest

黒い剣士
Right, one is new today, the other is about 2 weeks old, regardless, they may interest some.

Funimation and Bioware today announced that they will be working on what funi call an "anime feature film" which will ship in 2011. This will be the first project for Funimations Original Entertainment Team.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... anime-film

And also, legendary pictures(300, Dark Knight, etc) have picked up the rights to make a Mass Effect film. From what i know, the script is being written by people who worked on the previous ME games, but there we go.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/ has the announcement.

I ignore news like this because 90% of the time, the film just stays in limbo before or during production - the Halo and Metal Gear Solid movies being one of many examples.

Nemphtis said:
I ignore news like this because 90% of the time, the film just stays in limbo before or during production - the Halo and Metal Gear Solid movies being one of many examples.

The only one there which will probably be released is the Dragon Age animated movie, the mass effect film probably has little chance, specially cause it is Legendary pictures.

Nemphtis said:

The Halo film was released last year it was just called District 9.

Arbalest said:
specially cause it is Legendary pictures.
Why's that? They have a good track record of getting odd pictures into development. Their upcoming titles list looks hilarious though:

Batman 3 (2012)
Godzilla (2012)
The Man of Steel (2013)
Bleach (2013)
Justice League (2014)
Untitled Warcraft film (TBA)
Gravel (TBA)
The Lost Patrol (TBA)
Mass Effect Film (TBA)
Pacific Rim Film (TBA)

@Jayme: mainly because of the wait between them, and some of the titles which never did come to fruition. I'm not saying it'll won't be different for Mass Effect and such, but you can never really be sure.

A mass effect movie could work if they do it right and make sure that Bio-Ware are fully involved with production right down to the story.

@Jayme God don't tell me they are going to re-make Godzilla again...didn't they learn that it was a bad idea back in 98?

Cloverfield done Godzilla right. For a new audience. Godzilla is a very Japanese creation, and an historic one at that which will never really make sense to do for the US audience at this time. If the film was made earlier, perhaps, 2005 or even 2008, when Cloverfield was released, it would have made sense but because CF done the post-9/11 thing so well, I can't see it working anymore. It just... can't.

BlackWolf said:
A mass effect movie could work if they do it right and make sure that Bio-Ware are fully involved with production right down to the story.

@Jayme God don't tell me they are going to re-make Godzilla again...didn't they learn that it was a bad idea back in 98?

I think the storyboard has two of the ME writers on it, so if that is true, then the story could turn out to be good. We'll have to wait and see.

Arbalest said:
Right, one is new today, the other is about 2 weeks old, regardless, they may interest some.

Funimation and Bioware today announced that they will be working on what funi call an "anime feature film" which will ship in 2011. This will be the first project for Funimations Original Entertainment Team.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... anime-film

And also, legendary pictures(300, Dark Knight, etc) have picked up the rights to make a Mass Effect film. From what i know, the script is being written by people who worked on the previous ME games, but there we go.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/ has the announcement.

Funi may call it an anime feature film but to me it is an animated film but not an anime and I am not he only one who thinks that.

In a recent ANN interview, Gilles Poitras (writer of the Anime Companion) had this to say,

Afro Samurai has wonderful visuals and all that, but it's not that good an anime-- it's not really an anime. It's simply an American cartoon show that has Japanese animators working on it, like Transformers was. It's like saying The Simpsons is a Korean show because the animation work is done in Korea-- no, the control is in the US. And those shows would not really be anime, they would be US-controlled. Now if it was an actual partnership that could be a different thing, but that has very rarely happened.

To be fair though not all of transformers was like that, there's quite a chunk that can be considered anime by your definitions, infact the only proper transformers "cartoons" are the first four seasons, the movie, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Transformers Animated and the forthcoming Transformers: Prime. Everything else is anime, well apart from Transformers Armada as that one was a co-production on the storyline.

Back