Dragon Ball Z - Season 1

Xelis

Hunter
Who ever has this can you tell me what its like, because everyones complaining about the cropping, can anyone that has this set tell me if it spoils it or not and whether its worth getting.

You know what the main complaint of the box is, so it's mainly up to you to decide whether you mind having the top and bottom sections of the image taken off. (of course the fanboys are up in arms about it, but when aren't they?)

There are some really bad shots where people are talking but you can't see their mouths moving, but if you've not already seen the series in full screen then you probably wouldn't notice too many problems. If you want things perfect and as they should be then avoid.

The price is really nice as well. I'd get it myself, but these problems have pushed it down my priority list significantly in the hopes that it'll be re-released in a better format, but there's no sign of that happening at the moment.

Good luck in making your decision - makes sure you have no regrets! :D

i too am thinking whether i should get the new DBZ uncut sets. the price is good, and the re-masterd footage seems awsome...but i am having doubts if the whole cropiing of the top and bottom is true or not...

i saw this trailer ( a rather persuasive trailer lol) for the new releases
http://www.dragonballz.com/HD_trailer/tech_trailer.htm?CFID=915191&CFTOKEN=65083990

and they claim that they are adding more visual space....because it is on 16:9, but this confuses me as, if this was the case then is the cropping of the top and bottom true or not?

gah im confused :x

Yes, the new releases are cropped. I downloaded a rip of episode one the other day to see how bad the cropping was, and a fair amount of the picture is missing. There's a little bit added to the sides, but not as much as was lost. This is because the original cells that DBZ was animated on, are in terms of size somewhere between fullscreen and widescreen.

Some of the people in the thread linked to complain about the video quality as well. It seems the source that Funimation used to create this remaster was in pretty bad shape, and in effort to correct this some of the detail in the picture was lost during the remastering process. With the exception of the odd shot, only a videophile or someone explicitly looking for problems would notice anything wrong.

As for me? I'll probably end up buying the R4 version that Madman have promised for June. I doubt we'll see a better version and the problems weren't bad enough to significantly mar my enjoyment of the episode.

Noratav said:
As for me? I'll probably end up buying the R4 version that Madman have promised for June. I doubt we'll see a better version and the problems weren't bad enough to significantly mar my enjoyment of the episode.

I heard Madman's release will have the same cropping problem since they're getting their PAL video from Funimation rather than remastering it themselves. I have the R1 (NTSC but has R2 and R4 on the back of the box, Funi probably knew many UK/Australian customers would import it) version and am happy with it since I've seen hardly any of the original version though I did notice a few annoying scenes.

Ushio said:
Ninja Boy! said:
is the cropping of the top and bottom true or not?
From what I've heard it's true, but I've never seen them, myself.

If you can stomach a mega-sized thread, it's spoken about quite in-derth on this forum. There are visual examples somewhere in between pages 20-35! :shock:
http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtop ... 5674/tp/1/

whoa there are some seriuos peeps on those boards, and there is a link to another site on Daizenshuu EX where some technophiles give some strong statements and pictures to back up what they are saying.
(an interesting read i must say)

so at the end of the day, the Funimation DVD sets are meant to be 'teh loose'
and the original Dragon Box from japan are 'teh win'....(well at least thats what i think they meant)

after hearing all those rants, i am slightly put of from buying them...despite the good price...might give this set some more time to think over..whilst i continue with other series.

Necromancer said:
Noratav said:

I heard Madman's release will have the same cropping problem since they're getting their PAL video from Funimation rather than remastering it themselves. I have the R1 (NTSC but has R2 and R4 on the back of the box, Funi probably knew many UK/Australian customers would import it) version and am happy with it since I've seen hardly any of the original version though I did notice a few annoying scenes.

Yes, it will. Madman have explicitly said that they're using Funimations' new Remaster. However, given how much they've screwed up this release, I'm not willing to buy Funimation's R1 release as a matter of principle. Given a choice between this release or nothing, I'm willing to choose this release, but not directly from the company that did the botched remaster.

I dunno what you're all fussing about! Ok there are gonna be some hard nuts out there kicking up but I think it looks pretty good! ANd at least those gaudy colours look tamed finally!!

i actually imported season 1 on dvd and there are indeed cropped which is the worst thing about the set. if your a technical person who insists that the show should be shown in 4:3 then you're going to be irritated by it.

However, if you can forgive that as i did and just enjoyed the show, it turns out to be not as big as an issue that the guys at daizex made it out to be.

In terms of value, its worth it, 36 episodes on 6 discs digitally remastered (which looks beautiful) along with 3 audio tracks jap (mono), US broadcast (2.0) and uncut dub (5.1) all for £26 from www.otaku.co.uk.

I was a big fan of DBZ when I was younger. I looked into getting it on DVD but it was all in different volumes and it couldn't work out the running order so I just gave up. There's been soo many episodes now I would hope they have brought out season box sets or something.

west-scott said:
There's been soo many episodes now I would hope they have brought out season box sets or something.

Errr, thats what we're talking about, the first season (36 episodes) box set. Wiki has a good explanation of it if you want more info in it. The second season set comes out next month.

The DBZ fans must have been as pissed off with the cropping as I was with the UK Season 1 DVD of House MD being converted to 4:3. I understand their annoyance.

Ooops, you're right, its 39 episodes. Thats 925 minutes for the price of 2 dvd's, not bad huh? Oh, and the DBZ fans were mega pissed at he cropping, so much so that many tried to boycott the release.

west-scott said:
What so the season 1 USA is Widescreen and UK is 4:3?
There is no UK release. :(

The Japanese made it in full-screen and the US version crops the original image down so you miss out things like peoples' lips moving when they talk. Apparently the Australian version will be the same so if you want a cheap box of it you need to cope with missing bits of the action. (I'm tempted as I'm playing it on PS2 at the mo... :) )

...either that or get all the original 3/4 episode DVDs! :shock:

I think a may buy it as its only $30. Its a great deal just a shame about the picture. Thing is if you haven't seen the Japanese one would you notice too much? I mean how bad is it?

ps. Ive just ordered DBZ for my Wii :)

I didn’t realize that there where so many different English dubs of DBZ out there (2-3 if I’m understanding it right). I am only really interested in the dub we saw in the UK (all those I know it did change at some point) on Cartoon Network. With these new box sets are they the dub we got the UK?

west-scott said:
With these new box sets are they the dub we got the UK?
I think so yeah, but couldn't say for sure as I've only ever seen a couple episodes... (I so gotta buy this box sometime then, lol!)

Back