Dubbed Anime

Maltos

Stand User
I really want to start giving dubs a chance, as in the past I've always been pulled away from them by all the internet bad-mouthing. I know quite a few of you here are frequent dub watches; but I also know everone has their own opinion.
The question is though~ Are these anime good or badly dubbed?
These are a few series and films I'm hoping to watch soon enough, and I was wondering if the dub is worth giving a chance or not.

~Evangelion [already heard good things! Thanks CitizenGeek : ) ]
~Azumanga Daioh
~Gundam Seed
~Basically all of the Ghibli collection
~Tekkon Kinkreet
~Paprika
~Blood: The Last Vampire
~Vampire Hunter D/Bloodlust
~Bleach

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanking you!

~Maltos

I vaguely remember finding the Eva dub quite good. The other series on your list that I've watched were watched in Japanese.

While not on your list, Cowboy Bebop has the best anime dub I've heard - It's probably the best dub since many on the net rate the dub highly. I also found the Berserk dub to be very good on my ears.

Maltos said:
~Blood: The Last Vampire
You get no choice with that one as it's a bilingual anime! :D

Also with Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust it was made in English first so if you were to watch it in Japanese it would actually be the dubbed version. The first film dub is a bit meh though...

I'd say with Evangelion's dub it starts a bit wobbly but get better as it goes. It's well worth sticking out as it's great by the end. :)

CGeek won't agree with me but I think that Eva's dub is too goofy. Lots of overacting and screaming. It can get extremely cringeworthy at times.

As far as I'm aware most of Blood was recorded in English anyway. It's very watchable audio wise anyway.

Paprika has a decent dub. Nothing seems to have been radically changed in the translation and the voices and acting are up to scratch though I've not seen it all the way through in English (too attached to the Japanese version).

I thought Bleach had a great dub. Not a fan of the show really but I managed to watch more of it dubbed than with subs so I guess that says something.

The Ghibli films generally have highly regarded English dubs so I think you'll be safe with them.

Watch everything dubbed so you could say I am biased

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and Blood TLV have quality dubs tho and totally agree about Bebop - SUPERB!

TBH I even like the Devil Man one which seems to get slagged off a lot as its how I originally watched it and I LMAO, it just wouldn't be the same without the shoddy dub :D and I think that goes for a few of the oldies.

Bleach is a really good dub. I way prefer the dub or Urahara than the japanese one. And all the other chars are great, ESPECIALLY Ichimaru, he sounds so evil :p :p

Ichimaru is one of my favourite characters; looking forward to hearing his dub : D

Bepop is another one I'm definately planning on watching.

Sy said:
CGeek won't agree with me but I think that Eva's dub is too goofy. Lots of overacting and screaming. It can get extremely cringeworthy at times.

I thought Bleach had a great dub. Not a fan of the show really but I managed to watch more of it dubbed than with subs so I guess that says something.
Yeah, Although I haven't seen the Evangelion dub the whole way through in one sitting, I've seen several episodes (Via Anime Network) and I really don't like it. It makes Misato sound like a whiney 15 year old girl in which I really didn't think done her justice. As Sy said, Everything seemed over-reacted and the whole thing was a bit 'off'.

The Bleach dub is great though, Its got a great line up of Voice Actors and they all really go to their full potential. If I remember rightly, I found a couple of characters a bit off but I imagine they are fleshed out a bit better if you watch the whole series dubbed.

For Ghibli, I've never watched one in Japanese. They are good, if not the best.

Does anyone think that the Death Note dub isn't that bad? I thought it was ok.

Fullmetal Alchemist dub is superb, in my opinion.

Ron Perlman in Afro Samurai is brilliant, that guy should just get a whole series to himself.

I've heard that Beck and Chobits supposedly have good dubs and that the Beck dub is actually better than the Japanese dub.

J_C_X said:
Fullmetal Alchemist dub is superb, in my opinion.
It grows on you. I have a strong object to the dubbed Greed calling the brothers the 'Smellric Brothers' though. I think I shouted 'NO!' at the TV when I heard that.

I'm quite strange when it comes to dubbing. I can get very attached to how the characters sound the first time I watch a series.

Eva and GITS sound just as wrong in japanese as Bleach sounds in english. Its like drinking orange juice after brushing my teeth.

I was crushed when I discovered that the voice actors for the dub of ROD the TV were different then the mini-series.

~Azumanga Daioh
Good

~Gundam Seed
Decent

~Basically all of the Ghibli collection
Varies dependant on film. Whisper of the Heart is by far the best.

~Bleach
Decent

I'd also recomend watching ROD the TV for a good example of an anime dub.

Maltos said:
~Evangelion - Decent
~Azumanga Daioh - Average
~Gundam Seed - Average
~Basically all of the Ghibli collection - Mostly all good, except Laputa
~Tekkon Kinkreet - Dunno lol
~Paprika - Dunno lol, I watched in Japanese for Megumi Hayashibara
~Blood: The Last Vampire - Dunno lol
~Vampire Hunter D/Bloodlust - First movie's dub is meh, Bloodlust's dub is good
~Bleach - Good
How I see them.

Sy said:

Yeah, I disagree! :p The overacting aspect is only used really during light-hearted moments, and it suits the series entirely - I mean, Misato has purple hair, NERV is an underground city, Asuka is over-the-top, Rei resembles an albino, Kaji is comedic; Evangelion isn't supposed to be taken 100% seriously all the time, regardless of whether you watch it in English or in Japanese.

CitizenGeek said:
regardless of whether you watch it in English or in Japanese.
True but it's things like this is the dub I question. From episode One...

"ALL THE MISSILES HIT THE TARGET ARGHHHHHHHOOOHHHHEHHHHH!!"

and who can forget Shinji's dub reaction when he first see's the Eva...

"OH MY GOD WHY'S IT SO DARK IN HERE?? HUH WHA ARGHHHH!!!"

Not really meant to be comedic moments as far as I recall.

But it's Misato's and Asuka's dub voice that get to me the most. They just sound so off to me. I will say that the English dub for Gendo is spot on though.

Back