E3 2011 official thread

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Wasn't XIV (or whichever the next online after XI was) supposed to be terrible?

XIV was, and still is terrible. It was released way to early and was beyond bad. People say it has gotten better, but it was because of XIV that SquEnixs shares and profits dropped dramatically last year. And you know what's worse? They have a new MMO being made...yeah, i facepalmed too.

XIII from half the game I played was pretty and that was about it. I thought the battle system was quite exciting but since I've noticed how much of a driving force it lacked ('cos it really did feel like powering through) and by-the-numbers. That's fine though, for one game. I really don't understand why they are forcing that universe so hard.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Also Tomb Raider looks incredible. Never been much of a fan before, but after seeing the screens and the trailer I'm definitely interested.
Blah.

5 houlols. Maybe Sony are going to apologize to everyone one by one.

Also "core" gamer = someone who actually buys games more often than once every three months when there's a big ad drive for the latest "family friendly" title.

The Arkham City trailer is pretty cool too. Not really one for Catwoman (I'd have preferred Nightwing) but she looks like she'll add another dimension the game which will make it a more unique experience than Asylum. I also like the music they used as the "Theme for Catwoman's ****." I'm tempted to make a reaction guys meme for it but I suck at photoshop to a ridiculous degree.

Arbalest said:
XIII isn't not as bad as people make out, and they do just seem to slam it as much as they can. Sure it's most definitely flawed, but it is by no means abysmal.
Yeah. You never do that with Dragon Age 2, right? :wink:

Maxon said:
Arbalest said:
XIII isn't not as bad as people make out, and they do just seem to slam it as much as they can. Sure it's most definitely flawed, but it is by no means abysmal.
Yeah. You never do that with Dragon Age 2, right? :wink:

Of course not >.>. I would never do such a thing. I'll be honest, i still need to finish DA2, but the combat is beyond abysmal. They just did it wrong. if they kept it the same as DA: Origins and just made abilities more reactive, it wouldn't have been so bad, but yeah, it's claim of strategy and such was not there, all you did was spam A, hide behind a pillar, go back, spam A.

RivaOni said:
The problem with Nintendo saying they're going to focus on the hardcore (oh how much I hate that term) this time round is that there are plenty of games on the Wii that "hardcore" gamers can and should play, but they haven't sold well at all because of some snobbish belief that unless it features guns, HD graphics and online multiplayer its somehow not "hardcore".

**** that, give me Monster Hunter, some top notch Atlus style stuff, Suda51, try and persuade Kojima to work on something whilst balancing it with their current marketing model, much as they did for the first few years of the DS.

As for third parties, don't make me laugh, Nintendo haven't been third party friendly since they moved from the SNES to the N64, there's been a few high profile releases, but the "hardcore" buy Nintendo consoles for the Nintendo exclusives.

I must admit I am not very fond of people using the term "Hardcore" to describe themselves for the reason you have mentioned.

On separate issue on the failure of third party and to a lesser extent Nintendo themselves on the Wii. It seem to me that their are not that many games which really took much advantage of the motion controls. Their still plenty of good games on the Wii. Just not that many which would suffer greatly from removing the motion controls and going back to the control pads instead.

Developer have never truly grasps the massive potential of the Wii motion controls. It just easier for them to stick with what they know and what will sell.

I think there was potential in the idea of the Wii but there's always been something off about it's execution. How does the Move shape up against it?

Neferpitou said:
RivaOni said:
The problem with Nintendo saying they're going to focus on the hardcore (oh how much I hate that term) this time round is that there are plenty of games on the Wii that "hardcore" gamers can and should play, but they haven't sold well at all because of some snobbish belief that unless it features guns, HD graphics and online multiplayer its somehow not "hardcore".

**** that, give me Monster Hunter, some top notch Atlus style stuff, Suda51, try and persuade Kojima to work on something whilst balancing it with their current marketing model, much as they did for the first few years of the DS.

As for third parties, don't make me laugh, Nintendo haven't been third party friendly since they moved from the SNES to the N64, there's been a few high profile releases, but the "hardcore" buy Nintendo consoles for the Nintendo exclusives.

I must admit I am not very fond of people using the term "Hardcore" to describe themselves for the reason you have mentioned.

On separate issue on the failure of third party and to a lesser extent Nintendo themselves on the Wii. It seem to me that their are not that many games which really took much advantage of the motion controls. Their still plenty of good games on the Wii. Just not that many which would suffer greatly from removing the motion controls and going back to the control pads instead.

Developer have never truly grasps the massive potential of the Wii motion controls. It just easier for them to stick with what they know and what will sell.

I think a recent halolz post summed it up best. Tilting the controller in driving games always seemed to help you turn better until motion controls came round. Try that s*** now and you'll oversteer into a donut.

Also it's supposed to be immersive, but what's more immersive is instant reactions. What's faster? You pressing a button to make someone swing a sword, or physically making the swing? Sure there might not be the same feel of actually DOING the thing, but it shortens the length of time to perform said action.

It's the same with 3D. It's billed as being immersive, but it's still surrounded by a big screen and forces you to wear glasses (3DS is ignored for this analogy). Until you can get basically a 360 surround picture (like that Sky ad with the car chase and stuff) it'll never be literally immersive.

Hmm prototype 2 sounds good :) the first one was fun.

Running up a building to then to jump and plummet to the ground with a armour mode Elbow of death lol.

Microsoft Conference

They starting things off as you'd expect, throwing in Modern Warfare 3...with a fail. "please reconnect the controller" was the first thing people saw, hah. The demo they showed a fairly large city under siege, badly damaged. It looked like New York, and your mission was to infiltrate a sub. Gameplay after this is very much as you'd expect, with nothing really different from before. It is basically just the third in the series and that's that. They didn't give the release date, but it is set for the 8th of november.

Crystal Dynamics were second to take the stage(something i'm interested in, woo) to show off Tomb Raider. First thing i noticed, it looks stunning. This looks to be the same demo they used for preview versions. IT involved Lara trying to escape from being tied upside down from the roof. To do this, they had to move back and forth and burn the bindings, and when falling, you get impaled in the side by a metal shaft. you need to do a quick-time event to get it out and then move away as fast as you can from someone who is trying to re-capture you. You can use "Survival instincts" to find something to help you survive and deal with certain situations. Injuries don't just fade away easily. they will stay with you for a while it seems. It only shows the start for it, so obviously, there is a lot still to be shown, but from the preview they give us, it looks promising.

EA sports appear, and 4 games before they start are announced to be kinect compatible with Fifa, Madden, Tiger Woods PGA tour and another title i missed. Other games they will include with kinect is The Sims and Family Night 4.

Bioware suddenly appear with Mass Effect 3, and they announce that it is Kinect compatible with your voice. The new engine they are working with is the same as the one as the PS3s. Basically, the voice bit is done by reading the lines given as options and speaking them out loud. It's not a bad idea. You can also use it in combat to tell your squad members where to go and what to use. They also showed off one of the new melee takedowns you have access too. More will come with the EA conference.

Time for Ubisoft, with a new Tom Clancy game, which looks like the same one they announced from last year. Ghost Recon Future Soldier trailer given to us first off, not really showing off too much. However, they then go off to show off a pretty fancy weapon design system, they claim to have 20 million variations in weapons, since you can change every part of the gun. Through voice recognition, we have a way to have it optimise through a simple voice command. All gun control is done through kinect as well. And to finish it off, they announce that all Tom Clancy games from here on out will be Kinect compatible

Now we move onto the Xbox Live segment. Showing off yet another redesign of the Xbox hub. Not sure i'm quite fond of it, but there we go. Youtube is now coming into Xbox Live as well as....Bing. Now for the bit people had rumoured for a while, Live TV. Sky has now joined fully with them so you can access it properly with it.

This could be US only, but UFC looks to be available on Xbox Live now as well. It could be here as well, just need that confirmed.(I'll add more tonight when my connection actually lets me play the conference from GSs stream, tis stupid slow)

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I think a recent halolz post summed it up best. Tilting the controller in driving games always seemed to help you turn better until motion controls came round. Try that s*** now and you'll oversteer into a donut.

Also it's supposed to be immersive, but what's more immersive is instant reactions. What's faster? You pressing a button to make someone swing a sword, or physically making the swing? Sure there might not be the same feel of actually DOING the thing, but it shortens the length of time to perform said action.

It's the same with 3D. It's billed as being immersive, but it's still surrounded by a big screen and forces you to wear glasses (3DS is ignored for this analogy). Until you can get basically a 360 surround picture (like that Sky ad with the car chase and stuff) it'll never be literally immersive.

I think certain genre of games either suit motion controls or just don't. Racing games or most 2D games come to mind of genres which just don't work well with motion controls.

While other genres of games are the opposite like Point & Click Strategy/Adventure, FPS, On Rail Shooters and Physical Sports. They all can greatly benefit from motion controls to improve the experience. But sadly lot of the genres I mentioned rarely see many of those types of game been released on the Wii.

The current Wii control setup of Remote/nunchuk is a very good but not perfect blend of standard control method with motion controls. I hope they stick with that and improve on that control scheme instead of just going with the standard joy pad design. Just changing the controls on the remote from the current similar NES button layout to the SNES layout would be a massive improvement.

16 cars per track in Forza 4.

Reducing the tyre grip and releasing a new racing peripheral (or improving third-party support) will sate me quite satisfyingly.

EA conference

STarts off with a fairly live action trailer for Mass Effect 3. Casey Hudson comes on to show that the release date is 3.6.12, or 6th of march. He explains how all choices made will have an effect on everything you do, relationships and so on. Graphically, it looks stunning as before, and now it looks like you can call in assistance from the Normandy, depending on the situation and such. Everything is bigger. Gameplay to scenes look almost seemless. Music is as good as i hoped it was. Battles are BIGGER. March 6th is, as Casey says, "when the reapers arrive", and goes into a trailer.

Good start for EA

Origin.com is a new site which will be included for EA games and those that work under EA, and have DLC and so on.

Need for Speed: The Run, makes a return again, this time, you will be playing on foot as well now. Straight into gameplay which is very much similar to what you've seen in Need for Speed, then straight into events on foot. It looks like a button bashing type thing, where you'll have to hit a button at the right time to jump. Very quick-time oriented. No release given.

Suddenly, Bioware return with some Star Wars stuff, The Old Republic of course. Showing off a trailer for it again with no release date. Gonna have to wait a little longer for it.

Now for some SSX. Release date is out in January next year. We get more Fifa coming in as well with 1.3 billion games played worldwide to whatever stats they have. They go into detail about how their engine is changed, explaining how tackles and such work with their new player impact engine, taking advantage of momentum and so on. Then, we get football players and people from all round the world saying how they love fifa and why they play it. They are keeping a live service in it too. Basically, if a game is being played a certain week, it'll be available as a free update through their service so you can play that, with whatever story there is behind it. Virtual leaderboards are there too, which will show the leaderboard for the real leagues, plus the ones which are changed through players playing those matches and changing the results.

Trailer for Madden 2012 now with three players coming on to advertise the game + also having the trophy at hand. (players are Ray Louis, someone i can't name properly, and Clay Matthews) Saying particular roles of the game are modelled off of each of these players.

EA now announce Sims Social for facebook. Which basically is The Sims, with the other players being other people on facebook. The Sims on facebook, end off.

Now we get a new IP title called Reckoning. Placing you in the middle of an epic world of which you can decide how things pan out, how it develops, or gets destroyed. The game seems to have taken influence from the likes of R.A Salvatore(think Forgotten Realms and such) They then go on to show a trailer for the game and have the release date set for 2012.

Insomniac Studios are showing off their new IP for multiplatform called Overstrike. Seems to be based around a group of misfits, essentially. A different type of game from Insomniac, compared to stuff like ratchet & clank. Looks like it keeps some of the humour they are quite used to including in their games. No release date given, but it is certainly one to keep an eye on.

Now to Battlefield 3. Most of us already know of what to expect with the long trailers they have done, so they've gone straight into some gameplay, after showing off their new engine, Frostbite 2. They also show Battlefield: Multiplayer, its going to be completely free, and the beta will be multiplatform and available to all as an open beta in september.

The gameplay shown is through a tank covering a desert, then they are attacked by several enemy tanks. the sound for firing and reloading is fantastic. They even covered the inside of the tanks as you go request an air strike. Cannon does move a little too fast mind you, but i think that's always going to be the case. Maybe they will adjust it a bit though. Release date is on October 25th.

And that is EAs E3 conference.

Microsoft Conference part 2

We continue with Gears of War 3. Cliff and Ice-T both appear on the show floor and they play co-op. Looks like you can play as people other than just Dom/Marcus now, which is nice, though it is hard to say considering it's only showing Marcus' POV. Battles are much like ME3, bigger, badder and so on. Didn't show much else. Also Ice-T connected back with his rock band or whatever to make a song for horde mode, now it's back.

New Kinect game based in Rome, seems to be a first person melee combat simulator. Game is called RYSE. Not much else shown for it

Now Halo appears back on the screen. Halo HD basically, remastered version as we all already kinda knew about. It looks pretty nice. Enhanced multiplayer maps, co-op online and fully remastered campaign on november 15th this year.

Forza Motorsport 4 is being shown, covering a fair bit of what was covered before. Trailer with the release date set to be October 14th. No gameplay through

Now Lionhead studios appear, for Fable: The Journey. Starts off with a trailer for it. It's Kinect controlled from what we can see so far. Starts off controlling a wagon to get away, then you use hand jestures to use magic against goblins as you make your way through a forest. Release date set for 2012

Minecraft is coming to Xbox 360 exclusively, and will be compatible with Kinect.

Looks like we're going into Kinect games now, Kinect Disneyland, so you can explore disneyland. Kids come in to show how the game is played and will be available at the Holiday season.

Now Star Wars Kinect appears, to which the gameplay they show is the same as to the leaked video earlier. Swing your arms for the light saber, shifting to the left or right makes you dodge, jumping does a flip over enemies, and from what i can tell you have to say lightsaber on to activate the lightsaber. You can use hand gestures again to use other powers and such. It looks pretty decent as well. Cartoony-like graphics mind you. No release date though, again

Double Fine appears, and talks...seseme street: Once upon a Monster. Looks like a storytime thing aimed at kids and their parents. Set for release in Fall.

Kinect Fun Labs, is a new application on the Xbox 360 which lets you design your own Kinect games using the most recent Kinect gadgets and so on. They are giving an example such as a face capture and clothes capture. Basically turning what you look like into an Avatar. IN other words, what Nintendo have been doing on the 3DS and such, only with an extra body scan. It also shows a finger tracker, which lets you take stills of active images and then making 3D art with it. Object Capture. Scanning both the front and back, you can bring objects to life on the 360. This is available as of now. Released today

Kinect Sports Season 2 Includes Baseball, gold, skiing, darts, tennis and football(american).

Dance Central 2. Exactly as Dance Central was like, this time without everyones favourite guy dancing with them, hah. A very short presentation for it this time though.

Finally from them, we get Halo 4. ONly a short teaser continuing where the last one left off, kinda unsurprisingly. i expected that to be a book release instead, but that will do instead. Winter next year though, so a long time to go. Knew it was 343 studios though.

Sony Conference

After a 15-20 minute delay, Sonys conference has finally started. Starts off with a game montage for NGP, PSP and PS3, including clips of Ninja Gaiden 3, Uncharted 3, NGP(or as i think it will be called, PSV) Uncharted, and so on.

As expected, the first thing they do is apologise to the consumers, and the players for the controversy over the PSN hacking. They also jokingly say "You're welcome" to the gaming news reporters as they love their bad news to report, hah.

First thing they announce along-side their other partnerships is Cinemanow, so they can offer more movies onto the PS3 via the PSN.

To kick things off in the gaming side of things, we of course get into Uncharted 3. The demo they start us with in during a storm on what looks to be a large cruiser boat. Lighting and graphics look to have been updated well for the game, specially the lighting effects. Multiplayer for it starts on June 28th. To wrap it up, they show off one more trailer for the game.

Resistance 3 is the next order of play today. The game takes place 4 years after resistance 2(so 1953 i think they said), and is based in St Louis this time around. The objective was an ambush to steal a powercore and get out of there. They also announced a bundle-pack with move and a camera for $150

They have two HD/3D collections to announce, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection and God of War Origins collection.

They have announced a 24" 3D compatible TV built for the PS3 which allows for two people to play on the same TV to play the game as if they where playing on two seperate TVs. They are now also making 3D monitor bundled with glasses, resistance 3 and a HDMI cable all for $499(~£300). Still pretty pricy, specially for a 24" 3D TV

Now we move to NBA 2K12 using Move. To pick other players, you just click on the player you want to pass to, and hit X. It looks pretty easy to just pick up and play the game, and they seem to be pushing that as what they where aiming for.

Medieval Moves is a new IP for the Move which incorporates using weapons like bows, shurikens, swords/shields and so on. Basically taking advantage of what was shown for sports games and such when it was released and incorporating it into a full game. The game will be available in Autumn 2011.

Infamous 2 trailer is shown showcasing some of the new abilities and the massive boss-like enemies you will have to go up against in the game. which is released tomorrow in the US, here on friday.

Starhawk is now being shown as an exclusive for PS3 with a trailer only at the moment. No release date given or anything and it looks like Sly is also on the return to Sonys PS3 with Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

The creators of EVE online is making a game exclusively for Sony (PS3 and NGP) called Dust 514, which they claim will be the first cross-platform experience, and will be connected to EVE in some way. For released next spring, it's a FPS which isn't an MMO, but will effect EVE as you go through it from what they say.

Bioshock Infinite time. This looks to take the world of Bioshock, and make it so much more. The new trailer is showing a lot of the new mechanics, and adaptions of the old too. The guy comes on who is the creator of Bioshock at Irrational games. Basically saying, we will include move for the game. He also sneakily mentioned a new title for the series on the NGP.

The next installment of Saints Row will include exclusive content only on the PS3, and the new Star Trek game will have exclusive content as well, where they will make an exclusive move controller as a phaser too for a limited time, and a prequel game for digital download only available through PSN. Set for a 2012 release.

SSX gets an exclusive race down Mt Fuji on PS3 when it's released, and for Need for Speed: The Run, gets 7 unique super cars like the veiron. Battlefield 3 will have Battlefield 1943 on the disk as well because of how big the disk is.

Kazuo Hirai appears. He touches very vaguely on Playstation Suite, which is set to be used for all of Sonys playstation consoles/handhelds and so on. Now he goes to show that the NGP is called the PSVita, or PSV for short. It will have 3G or WiFi capabilities as well depending on which version you purchase. AT&T are their official providers for a connection.

To start things off for this, we start off with Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It so far is showing the demo off for showing off the graphical power and engines available in the PSV for this, but then also showed that for melee combat, you can use the on-screen touch pad to move as you want, as well as using the 6-axis control to decide where you move. You can do takedowns through the touch screen as well as other things as well.

Now onto Ruin, which is set for PSV as a "Social Action RPG game". From the way it looks normally, it looks like a torchlight/diable style game. The social bit comes into play with other player communication with the game. So if the game gets connected with another player, you will have rivals of other players you meet. They make dungeons as they become more powerful, so the more powerful, the harder it is to get to them. At the same time, they kinda mention their own kind of spotpass as well as using "cloud" to transfer the game to the PS3.

Mod Nation Racers for PSV. It is roughly the same idea as you'd expect from the game like on PS3 and PSP. Using the touch panel, you can draw the roads through the front touch screen, and you can use the 6 axis and the other options given to you to alter your roads and such. If you use the back panel of the PSV, you can push and make mountains with it. Essentially, everything can be controlled via the touch screens/pad.

Of course, with a new playstation handheld, there has to be a new LittleBigPlanet. It incorporates all the features of the PSV to help you play and make games on LBP.

Capcom join Sony on the stage to show off Steet Fighter X Tekken on the PSV. Cammy was kinda confirmed with that trailer, as if we didn't know that already. Cole from infamous will also be in the game for PSV.

That about covers it for the PSV coverage, now we get a vid showcasing some of the games available. Uncharted, Wipeout and LBP for example. The PSV will be available this holiday season in either 3G version or WiFi version. The price time

WiFi PSV is going for $249.99 or 249 euros.
3G version is $299.99 or 299 euros.

And that wraps it up.

Back