Emotional preview for Gedo Senki

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
After all the family drama surrounding Studio Ghibli's Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea); Hayao Miyazaki is said to have been pleased with his son's (Goro Miyazaki) directorial efforts on the film.

Having attended its first ever preview screening, Hayao Miyazaki walked out of the theatre half way through but later sent a note to his son simply saying "It was an honest way of making, and good." The note was read publically at a Studio Ghibli party and greeted with wide-spread applause; Goro has been quoted as saying "I was glad for father's words and near tears".

The full story can be read over at Nausicaa.net.

The walk-out and the terse nature of the note sounds to me that they are still not on the friendliest terms but hey, families are funny things and outward appearances could be deceptive!

It's encouraging to see Miyazaki Sr pass any sort of positive comment on his son's work - it suggests that not only is the film probably better than us cynics had feared, but it meets his own standards. A relief all round I think! :)

subedii said:
Still strange that he walked out halfway through. I don't know.

Possibly to avoid the deluge of press that would be waiting for him to comment after the flick.

Theres also the possibility that he checked it out during his lunch break. The man's work ethic is legendary.

Back