Escaflowne?

Everything about Escaflowne is great, from the landmark soundtrack from Yoko Kanno (of Bebop fame) to the country spanning, epic adventure that has passing similiarities with other fantasy titles like Lord of the Rings. The animation is very untypical, but suits the other wordly atmosphere perfectly.

The story involves a high school girl who is snatched up one day and taken to a far off world that is being torn apart by war. It's a romantic, epic action series, but also tests us with some though provoking philosophy. I've only seen this series once so far, but certain scenes remain with me even today. I would have bought this box set too, but apparently the subtitles cut out during the last 15 minutes of the last episode- gutted!

Seriously, you need to see this show. It's a classic.

so that's a yes then. :D cheers man.
it's one of those titles that keeps cropping up and i was wondering whether it really is in the 'all time classics' category.

ive got both of the boxsets and i enjoyed the serie alot, one of my fravite mecha seire out and is one to watch. these are all uncut to non of the foxkids crap that was on TV few years ago.

I've always thought of Escaflowne as Mech or Mecha or whichever one applies :lol: I can't even see where Magical Girl would come into it :?:

It is a fantastic anime but don't be too tempted to watch the dubbed version, it has about 3/4 of the VA cast of DBZ :lol:

Vegeta as the blond hair knight, Piccolo as lots of bad guys and krillen has sooo many roles, heh Krillen on horseback. :shock:

Miaka-chan said:
I've always thought of Escaflowne as Mech or Mecha or whichever one applies :lol: I can't even see where Magical Girl would come into it :?:

It is a fantastic anime but don't be too tempted to watch the dubbed version, it has about 3/4 of the VA cast of DBZ :lol:
i didn't know much about it but what little i'd heard consisted of cute girls and sorcerers. fortunately, it appears to be nothing like that (i'm not really into magical girl anime i'm afraid). i guess i was worried it might be like Angelic Layer or something...i prefer stuff that's a bit darker.

Concrete badger said:
i didn't know much about it but what little i'd heard consisted of cute girls and sorcerers.

It's not about cute girls or sorcerers either :lol:
Hitomi is OK, she has a knack of fortune telling in an unusual way and Merle is kawaii (but only coz she's a cat thing!!).
It's about another land full of giant mechs! and war and stuff but no sorcerers! There's a great flying ship in it too :D
I'd say it's full of "cool" characters (and Van Fanel is pretty yummy :lol: )

Miaka-chan said:
How can it, when DBZ is dubbed in Texas, while this was done in Canada? Unless your talking about the crappy version of DBZ we have on our TV

BIG BIG WARNING ABOUT THE SUB!

Basically the UK release is generally good, but from what I've been hearing they made an absolutely horrendous mistake on the last volume.

The subtitle track. On the very last episode. Cuts out. Completely. IN THE LAST 10 MINUTES!

Which means you could watch the show subbed through all the rest, and then get stuck at the end having to switch to the dub just to find out what happened. Ouch. :lol:

It's really only the last 5 minutes, and doesn't drastically affect you knowing what happens in the plot, but it is very annoying having to switch to the dub.

It's worth it though, a fantastic series that seems to cover all bases with it's various love trysts and giant mecha battles. Get it! I had to pay full whack for each disc and wait aeons for them to bring out the last ones so you'll buy it and like it!

IanC said:
Miaka-chan said:
How can it, when DBZ is dubbed in Texas, while this was done in Canada? Unless your talking about the crappy version of DBZ we have on our TV

Yes! I meant the dub used for SKY TV - I certainly didn't mean the Speedy dub that's for sure :lol:

subedii said:
BIG BIG WARNING ABOUT THE SUB!

Basically the UK release is generally good, but from what I've been hearing they made an absolutely horrendous mistake on the last volume.

The subtitle track. On the very last episode. Cuts out. Completely. IN THE LAST 10 MINUTES!

Which means you could watch the show subbed through all the rest, and then get stuck at the end having to switch to the dub just to find out what happened. Ouch. :lol:

The version I have is a set of Singapore VCDs that I bought about 4 years ago. I used to like buying those, as the subtitles are absolutely perfect on all of the series I've bought in the past - about 15 titles!

Just finished watching this. Overall I'd give it a 3/5. Its a generally good series but a lot of the time it was quite boring and uninteresting, it can peak for an episode of two, then return back. Some of the characters aren't bad though, especially Van, Allen, Folken and the Cat sisters.

Epsidoes 18-22 are top-knotch stuff, I was hoping it would keep that level till the end, but alas it didn't. Its also full of numerous cheesy moments as well.

And is it just me that found Hitomi to be one of the lamest female characters in anime. Excerpts from Hitomi:

'Oh my, I'm having a premonition. Something bad's going to happen.'
(this same line is like repeated 357 times during the course of the series)
'Help me Van, I've managed to put my foot in it and get in trouble again'
'Ohhh Van, stop it' or 'Noooooo Vannnnnn'
'Ohhh Allen/Van/Amano/any other dashing young man, I'm in love with you'
'Ohh nooo, its my fault that these things are happening, I'm using my anxiety to predict bad futures, its all my fault' (yes, yes it is)
'But thats WRONG! Its just soooo WRONG!'
'I wanna go hommmmmeeee' (please do!)
'Follow your Heart (someone) I need to follow my heart'
'Ohhhh, so thats what happened with character X/Y/Z/A/B/C's past'

Last edited by a moderator:
i've only seen the first half of the series but i really enjoyed it. the only thing i don't like about it is the quite frankly poor picture quality. that and the English dub. i can normally listen to either language track but with Escaflowne i lost patience with the English language VAs after less than one episode. subbed all the way with this series.

I felt the same way a lot of the time. Dilandau's voice is just horrible. Although its done that way on purpose, and you understand why later in the series. And the version of Hitmomi I'm referring to is the dubbed version, you can probably guess.

But the bad is offset by the good, as the characters I liked had good voices. Van's was gentle and authoritative at the same time, and Eria and Naria's voices are really cool, sexy and calculated. As was Folken's and some others.

Back