Expo Oct '07: new licenses, anime on UK TV, cosplay

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
This past weekend saw the London MCM Expo roll into town, <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?p=130842#130842">unleashing hordes of cosplayers</a> and anime fans on England's capital city. Though (compared with previous events) there were slim pickings in terms of new UK anime DVD licenses, <a href="http://www.eyeonanime.co.uk/">EyeonAnime report</a> that the following anime were officially announced for UK release:
<ul>
<li>Black Lagoon (MVM)</li>
<li>Devil May Cry (ADV)</li>
<li>Love Hina Again (MVM)</li>
<li>Naruto (more episodes of, Manga Entertainment)</li>
<li>School Rumble (Revelation Films)</li>
<li>Strait Jacket OVA (Manga Entertainment)</li>
<li>[Shakugan no] Shana (MVM)</li>
<li>Witchblade (MVM)</li>
</ul>
Also, there will be a limited theatrical release of "Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow" at the London Apollo cinema, screenings on both the 24th and 25th of November at 11AM.

Viewer ratings for anime on UK TV, essentially Anime Network (every evening on Propeller TV) and Anime Central, are quoted as being "much better than expected". Anime Central reportedly pulled in around 130,000 viewers in it's first week, which isn't a spectacular opening audience, but isn't abysmal either; indeed, the chances are now good that both channels will eventually appear on Virgin Media's digital TV service.

Anime Central is also planning to start a subtitled block of anime - running every evening from 3AM-6AM. This new block will kick-off once the following new anime starts airing on the channel (though no specific premiere dates have been circulated):
<ul>
<li>.hack//SIGN</li>
<li>Bleach (more episodes)</li>
<li>Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig</li>
<li>Wolf's Rain</li>
</ul>
Be sure to head onto <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?p=130673#130673">our vibrant community forums</a> if you are interested in browsing through some fun cosplay images or reading enthusiastic reports and experiences of the event itself.

Ryo Chan said:
bah paul u big bully deleting my all in 1 anime on TV thread :(

I didn't delete anything. There were some server issues this morning which could explain random things like that disappearing though.

The fact Anime Central are going to be showing a subtitled block is great, but the fact that it's going to be the 3am-6am segment makes it completely pointless! I'm certainly not going to be staying up to 3am for it, and the idea of taping it seems rather redundant since alot of us will probably already have the series they are showing on some kind of disk format

Charter_Mage said:
The fact Anime Central are going to be showing a subtitled block is great, but the fact that it's going to be the 3am-6am segment makes it completely pointless! I'm certainly not going to be staying up to 3am for it, and the idea of taping it seems rather redundant since alot of us will probably already have the series they are showing on some kind of disk format

tivo/skyplus/dvd-r etc.

Nyu said:
Charter_Mage said:

tivo/skyplus/dvd-r etc.

The thing about this is that it doesn't get the viewing figures, I don't think I've actually watched anything on AnimeCentral whilst its actually airing. And I'm positive I'm not the only one that hasn't.

Jayme said:
Paul said:
Ryo Chan said:
bah paul u big bully deleting my all in 1 anime on TV thread :(
I didn't delete anything. There were some server issues this morning which could explain random things like that disappearing though.

If it was gone then, Its back now anyway.

that would explain how posts that i though disapeared are back lol

u are now entering the twilight zone :eek:

Concerning the Naruto Movie

The Naruto Movie has appeared on Showcase Cinemas 'Coming Soon' page. Now, at the top of their coming soon page, it says 'some films may not be showing at Showcase Cinemas.'

Do one off events normally appear on that page? I would be suprised to see it on that page if it was only a one-off event at apollo cinemas.

Btw, here is the link
http://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/movieguide/coming.php
Its about half the way down on the left.

---

Wow, anime in the U.K. really is expanding. I look forward to the Itachi and Sasuke Retrival Naruto arcs on DVD.

I also hope revelation pick up One Piece, I would love Movie 6 on DVD!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor said:
Love Hina Again? Wasnt there only 3 episodes to that series if i remember right? :S

Love Hina Again is an OVA. So it's quite normal it having only 3 episodes.

I think it would be great if Virgin Media got some anime channels. I'm dying to watch some anime!

SchoolRumble4Ever! said:
Taylor said:
Love Hina Again? Wasnt there only 3 episodes to that series if i remember right? :S

Love Hina Again is an OVA. So it's quite normal it having only 3 episodes.

I think it would be great if Virgin Media got some anime channels. I'm dying to watch some anime!

I dont think it was meant to be an OVA. I read somewhere that it started off as the second season but due to money funds they had to stop production, thats why theres no real end to that one.

I read that they started a new season but they ran out of money as you said, but the first episode of the new season was episode 25 not the OVA. It says on Wikipedia that when the company got in the money from the episodes they then made the movies and OVA.

A note on the bit about the channels appearing on Virgin media. At the moment its a no and will most likely be a no for the near future. The panel at the expo felt that Virgin is very much in a new stage of its birth as a digital media platform.

Back