Fansubs and industery panel

That's a fair deal more civilised than I expected it to be, honestly. I did like the comments from the guy on the far left that basically amounted to: "Are fansubs good or bad? No. They're THERE and we as an industry need to change to DEAL with that because it's not going away".

I liked the reasons as to why the 4 fansubbers said they do it....I have no problem with those reasons.

The problem I have is with the ones who profit from pirating (yes crunchyroll) Even the likes of Dattebayo have come out and said they dont like what CR are doing.

Just going to copy and paste this.

They have to do whatever is necessary to reach a profitable number of paying fans for this to work. The first distributor to offer fansub-quality or better downloads for $1.99 or less per episode, and maybe free preview of at least 3 or 4 eps, is going to win, IMHO.

Then, the way to sell DVDs is to punch up the extras and the collectible aspect. I buy R1 DVDs, if the value is there in extras, and if I plan to re-watch the series multiple times. I just ordered CLAMP's Tsubasa-xxxHolic Double Feature specifically for the 2 hours of extras.

I totally agree with this....Bandai have recently got there act together with realeasing a ton of extras with the likes of Harurhi and TTGL.....people don't want DVDs with bare bones rubbish on them. If you give people a reason to buy it they will.

EpicLulz said:
I totally agree with this....Bandai have recently got there act together with realeasing a ton of extras with the likes of Harurhi and TTGL.....people don't want DVDs with bare bones rubbish on them. If you give people a reason to buy it they will.

this part is very true, when i think of how many boxsets i've paid extra for, just for the extras inside, it's sad how much they've squeesed out of me :D

i could afford my new pc by now

I'd say it depends on the series. For some (Gundam Seed) I'd happilly fork out an extra £50-60 for a super duper edition if I have to. For other shows I do just want the barebones box after the real fans have already got it. I believe one of the guys at amecon was discussing this....

Basically two VERY separate releases. One a very very high quality version filled to the brim with features and nice boxes...but also very limited run, and a high price point. Followed by a later budget release with maybe one or two features, but nothing like the depth or quality of the Limited version. I very much have to agree.

i just watched the whole vid (long) but it was very informative and interesting to hear the views and opinions of the long debate....from both sides of the parties.
in all...buy the official DVD's if you really liked the show when you watched it on fansubs....

I didn't realize til today that 78% of Japan's anime profits come from merchandise. Kinda puts this whole DVD/DTO/whatever debate into perspective, since the US can't use the same model currently to survive.

78% Thats insane.....Tho I do know someone who brought a Yoko statue for £40 but he wouldnt think about spending $40 on a boxset.

So really if you put t-shirts,bandanas or whatever with the DVDs then they probebly would sell more, I dunno.

Back