Final Fantasy XIII, you are my only hope...

fabricatedlunatic said:
(for whatever reason I don't get excited about games until they're close to being available)
I'm somewhat like you. Most of the times I just want a game after it's released. I believe FFXII is one of the few games I've pre-ordered.

CitizenGeek said:
I adored FFXII, it's my all-time favourite game, and so in a way I'm kind of disappointed FFXIII has gone back to the earlier FF battle systems in a sense.
Oh, you replaced FFVII with XII =)
I agree with the battle system. I loved the way I could control one character entirely and let the AI handle the others. It was a far greater experience than turn-based battles. But, if it's done in a fast paced way (ie FF X-2), it might not ruin it for me after the greatness of XII's battle system.

chaos said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
(for whatever reason I don't get excited about games until they're close to being available)
I'm somewhat like you. Most of the times I just want a game after it's released. I believe FFXII is one of the few games I've pre-ordered.
I'm with this crew. If you put a load of time into researching a game and in the end - its ****, that's just a massive waste of energy. I hear about a game, forget about it till its soon to be released and whether I'll get the game depends on my financial (and gaming) status at the time. Never pre-ordered a game, but I generally get the games I want on the day of release anyway.

Jayme said:
chaos said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm with this crew. If you put a load of time into researching a game and in the end - its ****, that's just a massive waste of energy. I hear about a game, forget about it till its soon to be released and whether I'll get the game depends on my financial (and gaming) status at the time. Never pre-ordered a game, but I generally get the games I want on the day of release anyway.
I've only pre-ordered that FF because I was at the shop at the time. I had just moved to Belfast and was buying a PS2 as my other one was left at my mum's.

chaos"[quote="CitizenGeek said:
I adored FFXII, it's my all-time favourite game, and so in a way I'm kind of disappointed FFXIII has gone back to the earlier FF battle systems in a sense.
Oh, you replaced FFVII with XII =)[/quote]

Nah man he's always favored XII lol.

And yeah, i'll still get this game. It looks badass. I can only hope it lives up to expectations. I'm sure we'll hear more about it soon.

And mine did indeed ship today. ^_^

Although I still think Parcelforce will manage to not get it to me in time for my days off over Christmas.

Why import if you don't understand Japanese? Not directly aimed at anyone, I just see a lot of people like "OMG, I JUST IMPORTED... don't know any Japanese though lol" it's like "What's the point?"

Yeah, I know a couple of people who are like that, I don't get it, but they seem to get enjoyment out of the game anyway, so fair play. But then, I know a couple of people on here and other boards who read/watch raw manga and anime without understanding it fully, so I guess it's the same thing.

I'll be getting it, though I've not read up much on it, I know what some of the chars look like but that's it. ^_^ I'm also in the not really bothering until it's out or about to be group. So much so that I've probably missed a few games I might like. :p

I still havn't finished FFXII, it's one of the very few I havn't. (Others being the FF's that never had a release outside of japan, and ff1 since when I played it I played the original stupidly hard grind-fest one.)
I'm more a fan of the old battle system, so if that's coming back atleast to an extent that will be good. For me FFXII felt alot like an mmo without the other players, due to this I havn't gotten past more than a few of the beginning quests/bounties, one day I'll attempt it again. Don't like quests/bounties as I had enough of that on WOW for 5 years. :p

Lupus - If they're anything like this one guy I met a while back I know what it is. This guy would play RPG's, generally with high graphical quality, but skip every single peice of dialogue as quickly as possible. He seemed to only play for fighting and cutscenes.

Is it still a crime that after the negativity from 2chan members and some of the people who imported, I'm still looking forward to it?

I knew Lupus would have his hope dashed, but I'm still shocked that I'm still looking forward to XIII. Sure, Hope is a character I will refrain from using and I will rant every time Hope becomes a whiny little brat, but the battle system and the music looks excellent.

And it really looks a lot more enjoyable than X, despite its linearity. But it's linearity in a way that's it designed better, in which X failed really imo.

Edit:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-TP9_r6eguM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-TP9_r6eguM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I want the music in it ;-;

Chrono Mizaki said:
Is it still a crime that after the negativity from 2chan members and some of the people who imported, I'm still looking forward to it?

Not at all, I mean the music and battle system for the most part is quality, but then again what JRPGs these days don't have good music and a good battle system? It's either the battle system or the story and XIII did what most JRPGs do and picked the battle system. A lot of the spoilers I've seen are really underwhelming and with the amount of time & money Square Enix spent on the game it should have been of high quality writing.

I'm currently deciding whether I should buy it or not and just get it over with, I got until March, if there's some situations within the game which has you splitting up and character development goes down then I'm all for it, if not? I'll just expect the usual for a modern Final Fantasy game.

Also, I really wish they got rid of Nomura I'm getting pretty bored of his designs, he's a good artist but not a great character designer. I mean... what's wrong with using Amano again or getting someone new?

AmanoLightning.jpg

vlippan043171.jpg

He didn't really try with the second one and when you know Amano doesn't even try you know something is up.

Chrono Mizaki said:
There hasn't been a good word spoken about FF on 2chan for years. You can't find anyone who will defend XII, and that's still the best in the series imo.

As for people who have imported it, they would have had at most a couple of hours play I'd imagine, if that, before posting there opinions. No-one in Europe would have been able to import it yet, either, and do you really want to listen to the opinions of a bunch of Yanks? I'd only be 50/50 on whether negative opinions are even being posted by people who actually have the game, as opposed to people who are just so excited to be negative that they can't help themselves.

Everyone should know at this stage that CG changes his favourite FF whenever a new one is released. Prepare for the 'FFXIII is the best game EVANGELION!' thread.

People were right about FFXII, btw. The presentation of the story was awful, the characters were as one dimensional and cliched as possible and Vaan was only put in as the main character so a young ladyboy played the lead. It could've been amazing but, in the end, was no more than a 7/10 game.

(I made some lengthy posts on EuroFags forum a long time ago. I think they might've been deleted when I was banned, though...)

OT: I found the Sankaku posts about FFXIII amusing. FFXIII struck me as an empty shell of a game from the moment I saw the CG movie trailer - none of the characters having any life. After reading/seeing how linear it is (one path lol), that it has a typically **** JRPG story and near to no towns, I'm actually glad I can't play it.

Until Persona 5 or Suikoden VI, JRPGs/games in general are dead to me.

All the lead characters in XIII have good designs though, I mean Nomura went ALL OUT, no sign of belts OR chains, it's like he bottled it all up for his "creative freedom" on Versus XIII.

Also, Nomura felt your pain, Aion and so he designed you another boring Light/Lelouch character...

Click for a character so original not even Nomura can top it.

Oh and did you not say Persona 3/4 was bad because you had to work for a story spread thinly across a time period within the game while having fun with the sim elements?

I don't understand this belaboured point of yours, Lupus. Nomura adheres to his own style when designing characters. What is the problem with that? All artists stick to their own style most of the time. I can understand disliking his designs but saying that an artist has a particular style as if it's in any way noteworthy as a bad thing is very curious. Furthermore, saying that Amano should return as the character designer because his clearly better and then using his sketchy, impossibly stylised (as in, such designs could never be used in a videogame and probably wouldn't work even if they were) re-workings of Nomura designs to back your opinion seems a little silly.

I don't know why you trust the collective opinion of 2chan, Chrono Mizaki. They've slated every single Final Fantasy game since the tenth instalment. It's not unlikely that they simply prefer the older games and view any updating of the series as heretical. I wouldn't recommend taking too seriously the opinions of a clutch of hysterical, puritanical obsessives.

I am, of course, looking forward to FFXIII. Every preview of the game has been positive, it has been well received in Japan (over one million copies sold in one day) and all of the videos and information about the game suggest that will be fantastic. I must admit that I am disappointed that they have abandoned FFXII's battle system (instead of just upgrading it) and have strayed away from the accomplished, stunning artistry of FFXII but there is no show like a Final Fantasy show and I feel assured that FFXIII will be a genre-defining game :]

How long have you been using Thesaurus.com? But yeah, Amano had his run, Nomura has had his, it's time to pass on the torch to someone else, although then they'd give him the duties to exclusively direct and produce for Square further degrading the series further, hmm... Which is worse?

2chan has slated every game since the tenth game for a reason though, when the creator of the series leaves the company you know the franchise should be left untouched, but nope, it goes on for the money. Would Mario or Zelda be the same without Miyamoto? Nope.

I could start questioning you about the last paragraph, but it'd turn into another boring argument with the outcome pointless. Oh well.

Haha, are you really complaining that I'm using "big words" or something? How old are you?

Also, I can't really accept the grammar of your post. First you say that Nomura should retire as the artistic director of the Final Fantasy series, then in the next paragraph you say Final Fantasy should no longer exist now that Sakahuchi is gone. What exactly are you saying - that the FF series should continue or that it shouldn't? Are you just trying to be cynical and pessimistic for the sake of it? I think so.

As for the point about Sakaguchi .... hmm, what do you actually know about Sakaguchi and his involvement with the series? I'm pretty sure that it is a fact that he merely supervised the production of all FFs after FFIV. Sure, he laid the groundwork but the building on that groundwork by people like Kitase is what defined Final Fantasy. If you still want to believe that it's Sakaguchi that made Final Fantasy great, then please direct your attention to The Spirits Within, something he actually did direct. It was an artistic and a commercial failure (to the extent that it is universally regarded as an awful film and bankrupted Square). Mistwalker's output has been mediocre at best. He is no Miyamoto.

Honestly, what is your problem with FFX and FFXII? I don't get it.

Back