FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: The greatest story ever told. Re-told.

I think--as of episode 12--that I'm going to stop watching New Metal Alchemist. It may well be a long wait, but I'll happily wait for DVDs or Blu-Ray releases in the (possibly distant) future. That said, I'll still be alert for any new theme songs, or whatever. (I'm a sucker for these things.) I'm just not fond of streaming a series like this.

Incidentally, I feel episode 12 was the best episode I've seen in New Metal. It made my least favourite part of the manga and first series into my most adored part of the new one.

So, I just watched like the third last episode of the original series with my little sis (we've been watching it through). And it was the episode where Ed sees the other side of the gate and all of a sudden he's in our world, and her reaction was pretty much the same as mine back then - 'this is ridiculous', and this is coming from a girl who has been enjoying the hell out of the series. I wonder... does everybody think that this plot twist was one that the writers should not have taken? I think I may be a little too forgiving of this twist, as seeing my sister's reaction to it I found it difficult to justify it's existance.

What does AUKN think about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
iisan said:
Personally,
blown away by one of the greatest plot twists I never saw coming. Both the end of the series and the film which follows hinge on this plot point, so you may not be too happy with either. I'm informed that this wasn't in the manga (so presumably won't be in Brotherhood either) which I'd like to check out to see how it's different, but I can't see any ending beating that of the original anime. I would have thought much less of the twist if it had been constantly hinted at beforehand as some "twists" are - It may even be that it was a last minute change (and it was outrageous) but it was still powerful and, IMO at least, it does pay off.

ayase said:
iisan said:
Personally,
blown away by one of the greatest plot twists I never saw coming. Both the end of the series and the film which follows hinge on this plot point, so you may not be too happy with either. I'm informed that this wasn't in the manga (so presumably won't be in Brotherhood either) which I'd like to check out to see how it's different, but I can't see any ending beating that of the original anime. I would have thought much less of the twist if it had been constantly hinted at beforehand as some "twists" are - It may even be that it was a last minute change (and it was outrageous) but it was still powerful and, IMO at least, it does pay off.

I've seen (and own) the whole series and the movie, and I eventually grew to like the twist, but seeing my sister's reaction to it, it made me wonder if I had just grown to be to forgiving of it. I like it, but I think it interfears with what the series is supposed to about, the characters. I prefer the manga overall, but still love the series, and while I felt the ending of the series was interesting, I felt that leaving Ed and Al in the parallel world felt incomplete, not that I was looking for a 100% happy ending.

Ah, sorry. Misread you there iisan, I thought you meant you were both seeing it for the first time. Re-reading it I see my mistake.

I preffered the end of the series to the end of the film though. For some reason I love open endings.

ayase said:
Ah, sorry. Misread you there iisan, I thought you meant you were both seeing it for the first time. Re-reading it I see my mistake.

I preffered the end of the series to the end of the film though. For some reason I love open endings.

Honestly, I didn't think the film was needed. It was clear that Ed would never give up until he got back to Al, and really that was all that needed to be said. But because they needed the continuation to be in a movie format they did strange things in Shamballa, like having Mustang give up on his entire goal just to 'wait for Ed', and missing out the most important scenes like Mustang and Winry meeting at Hughes' grave. I liked the open ending too.

I said this a while ago but I'll say it again. Although the series ended open I felt it was more of a complete story than the addition of a movie. The movie just made me think it was going to be a continuation into another series and suddenly the story didn't feel so complete anymore. This is why i'm not over the moon about brotherhood being a retelling.

I disliked the film following my first viewing--but I thought it was a very potent means of illustrating the parallels between Amestris and our own world, and I thought, in this regard, it was successful.

I'd like to say so, but I switched back to avi since my computer won't play mkv files properly. Also new FMA is gradually getting worse, it's like BONES are doing this **** on purpose.

Brotherhood is based more on the Manga. The first series were based on the manga for a short while before becoming something new entirely.

So watch Brotherhood. I think you'll enjoy it =P

Lupus said:
I'd like to say so, but I switched back to avi since my computer won't play mkv files properly. Also new FMA is gradually getting worse, it's like BONES are doing this **** on purpose.

Really? I dunno, i think its being quite good as of late. 18-20 was quite enjoyable i thought. Looking forward to 21 as well. I do still prefer this to the original adaptation as well, but thats just me.

Up do what point does the original series remain loyal to the manga? Likewise, up to what point does this new series follow the same path as the old?

Mutsumi said:
Up do what point does the original series remain loyal to the manga? Likewise, up to what point does this new series follow the same path as the old?

They split off in different directions just after maes hughes dies ;_;

Arbalest said:
Lupus said:

Really? I dunno, i think its being quite good as of late. 18-20 was quite enjoyable i thought. Looking forward to 21 as well. I do still prefer this to the original adaptation as well, but thats just me.
In the second opening when Ling, Ran Fan and her dad are all fighting Bradley I was HYPED, now in the preview for next episode, it looks no where near as epic and it should have happened like three episodes ago.

Back