FUNimation disappoint Girls on film

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Unfortunately, FUNimation have been unable to secure the rights to use Duran Duran's song "Girls on film" as the opening theme for their US DVD release of Speed Grapher.

Speed Grapher is a 24 episode gothic/fantasy thriller from GONZO (Last Exile, Hellsing) which used "Girls on film" as its opening theme while being broadcast on Japanese TV during 2005.

tbh i'm not surprised, they probually demanded stupidly his royalties for the song, seeing it reach high sale is america/uk, my guess is it wasn't really well known in Japan and they hoped to make some money off of it being the soundtrack to an anime

It's a shame but not the end of the world. I'll still be looking forward to checking this series out on DVD.

But what will they use instead of it? Maybe Freezepop's twisted cover version 'boys on film'?
http://www.freezepop.com
FUNi might even be able to get them to remix it to to fit with the opening titles. If one thinks about it this way, it might actually turn out to be a very fortunate thing.

The replacement has been decided as Shinkichi Mitsumune's Shutter Speed. He has arranged and played music for a number of anime titles including some of the incidental music for Speed Grapher itself as I understand it.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Rukario said:
Ugh, this is an excellent intro and it's been ruined.
That's rather brash. How can you tell before you've even seen the new one?
I meant the idea of me buying the DVD's with the original intro on it, yeah I haven't seen the new intro yet, I hope for the best. But the original, it was so great. T_T

GrantM said:
Am I the only one who thought Funimation would not use Girls On Film anyway
Probably. They definitely would have used it if they could have negotiated rights to it for a reasonable amount.

What makes you think they wouldn't try?

I'm thinking that if the series comes to the UK then we may actually get the Girls on Film opening even if the Americans don't. My basis for thinking this is that on the US Quantum Leap DVD's all the original music in the episodes had to be replaced because they couldnt secure the rights but on the UK DVD's the original music is left untouched and unedited.

Well... maybe.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I'm thinking that if the series comes to the UK then we may actually get the Girls on Film opening even if the Americans don't. My basis for thinking this is that on the US Quantum Leap DVD's all the original music in the episodes had to be replaced because they couldnt secure the rights but on the UK DVD's the original music is left untouched and unedited.

Well... maybe.
It wouldn't be the first time this has happened on a UK anime DVD, I think. It has happened before but I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head.

Back