Funimation Dragonboxes

megagold5

Straw Hat Pirate
From ANN:
"Funimation also announced the fall release of the Dragon Ball Z “Dragon Box,” produced from the original Dragon Ball Z masters. With 42 episodes per release, at a $79.98 MSRP, it will also include the complete opening and closing credits, the original episode previews, and will be presented with a 4:3 aspect ratio."

*Looks up at complete DBZ/GT/FILMS sets*

Somebody is gonna pay for this....Probably my wallet....Grrrrrrrr....*RAGE*

Meh, it sounds like apart from the 16:9 cropping on the other sets (which bothers me very little), those sets seem better. Especially with the ability to play a full disc through without intros/outro.

Dragonboxes cost like a grand each, so its definitely FUNi's cheap version. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Would love to own it.

...More interested their promise of a proper release of Dragon Ball, though.

King Jimmeh said:
Meh, it sounds like apart from the 16:9 cropping on the other sets (which bothers me very little), those sets seem better. Especially with the ability to play a full disc through without intros/outro.
Er, what? If these are just the original Dragonboxes, the PQ is far closer to the original intention. Not to mention that "apart from the 16:9 cropping" means you're ignoring the main problem with the sets. ^^;

unellmay said:
meh isn't there a new hd remake?
how is this important?

If you mean dragonball Kai, then thats not got any form of release scheduled for the UK or US, so its not getting a release here.

Asides from that, to fans, i expect the dragonboxes could be deemed collectors items?, as such are important. Just because they aren't to you, doesn't mean they aren't to others.

Arbalest said:
unellmay said:
meh isn't there a new hd remake?
how is this important?

If you mean dragonball Kai, then thats not got any form of release scheduled for the UK or US, so its not getting a release here.

Asides from that, to fans, i expect the dragonboxes could be deemed collectors items?, as such are important. Just because they aren't to you, doesn't mean they aren't to others.

1.Thats a 100% certainty US anyway :?

2. I would care if they weren't 4 times the price of the other remasted ones

unellmay said:
2. I would care if they weren't 4 times the price of the other remasted ones

There seems to be the axiom that these sets are aimed squarely at the most hardcore of Dragonball fans; Adam Sheehan seemed to underline that they weren't for casual fans--the price probably reflect this. It certainly is a steep investment, especially when contrasted with the recently released sets.

I've been meaning to start picking up Dragonball Z on DVD for what seems like an eternity now. Whether this will push me into it is yet to be seen, but it's nice to know it's still being talked about.

Mohawk52 said:
How is this "great news" if it's not licenced for the UK?
Considering these boxes will retail for significantly above £18, the level of greatness this news is tantamount to will ultimately depend upon the price UP1 ask for them, methinks.

Zin5ki said:
Mohawk52 said:
How is this "great news" if it's not licenced for the UK?
Considering these boxes will retail for significantly above £18, the level of greatness this news is tantamount to will ultimately depend upon the price UP1 ask for them, methinks.
How they've gotten away with it for this long is amazing, but long may it continue, until Funi pull their finger out.

I already paid for 9 remastered box sets that Funimation have released on region 1. I am not going to fork out for another lot of box sets - certainly not on dvd.

Back