General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Haven't done a simulwatch before but sounds cool. Do you just watch it and chat on here? 😃
What usually happens is that we set a schedule for when to watch each episode and then discuss them in a thread that we set up for it. 🙂

Here are some other simulwatches we've done:

What usually happens is that we set a schedule for when to watch each episode and then discuss them in a thread that we set up for it. 🙂

Here are some other simulwatches we've done:
Cool. I'm up for it sometime in the future 😃

Have you'll ever considered doing a live chat instead of just a thread? Like Hidive has a built in chat system where the person who creates the chat room controls the playback and can sync it for everyone watching.
Untitled.png

I remember the Crunchyroll Twitch event was pretty fun, although all of the ones since then have been restricted to US only.

Have you'll ever considered doing a live chat instead of just a thread? Like Hidive has a built in chat system where the person who creates the chat room controls the playback and can sync it for everyone watching.
View attachment 16413

I remember the Crunchyroll Twitch event was pretty fun, although all of the ones since then have been restricted to US only.
With a simulwatch we dont watch at the same time, just on the same day. This allows everyone to watch the whole epsiode then post their thoughts afterwards. Also it allows people the freedom of timezones and work schedules to still be involved without needing a concrete deadline. In my opinion it also promotes more of a discussion rather than just reacting to the moment.

Dont get me wrong both can be fun (the ScreenAnime tweet alongs are great) but I like that the forum style lends itself to the more thoughtful thread form. Also if people fall a day or 2 behind the thread makes it easy to catch up and still be involved.

I think Rui, WMD & Neil.T quite nicely summarised the subs/dubs points and it certainly is great to have options for everyone to be able to enjoy anime/foreign media. I also prefer subs only, unless I'm watching something on 4od - why no subs option channel 4, why?!

I think subs can also help learn about the Japanese culture, if one is interested. As an example, I looked up the crane wife folklore after its detailed use in one anime, and then instantly got the subtle reference in another anime when one character mentioned in passing about being the crane. I think that further helped interpreting the scene and context. I'm guessing in such an instance a clever dub creator/writer would use a similar Western analogy rather then a literal translation, but even if done perhaps it wouldn't be quite the same?

What's the deal with Kimetsu no Yaiba/ Demon Slayer, it seems to have completely taken Japan by storm, but is it really something different from the usual shonen fare? Its film is now the highest grossing ever in Japan, which is kind of surprising and especially when you consider that people must have been risking covid to go to the cinema to see it!! The brief descriptions of it I've heard sounds pretty much like your usual shonen stuff and not incredibly exciting, but people seem to be losing their minds for it. Is it worth watching?

What's the deal with Kimetsu no Yaiba/ Demon Slayer, it seems to have completely taken Japan by storm, but is it really something different from the usual shonen fare? Its film is now the highest grossing ever in Japan, which is kind of surprising and especially when you consider that people must have been risking covid to go to the cinema to see it!! The brief descriptions of it I've heard sounds pretty much like your usual shonen stuff and not incredibly exciting, but people seem to be losing their minds for it. Is it worth watching?

It's absolutely the usual shounen fare, except that it's managed to be the perfect example of a shounen show without all of the associated baggage. The anime has no real filler and is drop-dead gorgeous. The manga actually has an end instead of churning on for years. And they resisted all of the self-referential tired gimmicks and panty jokes in favour of simply telling a (fairly straightforward) story that everyone can enjoy.

I find most Ufotable anime to be incredibly boring (controversial opinion!) and most shounen battle anime to be kind of pointless in the way that they never resolve anything or advance the genre past the mark set by the classics. Someone finally came along and solved both issues by having a high quality studio pull out all the stops with a phenomenal adaptation of a reasonably decent manga which a non-otaku has a reasonable chance of actually watching/reading from start to finish. It's exciting like a shounen series but also beautiful like a Type-Moon adaptation. It helps that the source material avoids being completely cliche as well, and the characters aren't too brash, so the result ended up being the perfect example of 'if you only watch one shounen anime in your life, watch this one'. And it turned out that quite a lot of people were up for that offer.

(It also gets bonus points for the historical set dressing in my case.)

R

On top of what @Rui said there's the covid factor with other films not being released.

I posted my thoughts on why it happened elsewhere:
I guess you didn't watch Demon Slayer last year? The film was announced right after it finished.
As for its performance in the box office, it was riding on the back of the hype from the show and I've seen a couple of AniTubers in Japan say its really good. Also there's obviously the covid situation where hardly anything else got released. Looking at the stats it was released right in the lull between the second and third wave of infections in Japan, so I guess people felt safer going out at that time.
It's the only film over ¥10m that's a sequal of a show, which shows what an unusual case it is.
So to sum up hype, word of mouth and availability have produced this result.
I hope we get the chance to see it on the big screen.

Madman have already licensed so only English place with it unlicensed is shocker here. I still think manga will get it.
I didn’t really like it in 2019 didn’t hate it either but watching it without the week gap between eps for at least first half it’s very good, it’s well paced unlike things like MHA which is like paint drying at some points and looks good it’s not Ufotable’s best TV work I still think UBW is better overall and HF II is best fight scene I’ve seen from them (roll on April) or if they ever animate the fight in FHA.

Last edited:
I've been watching Ranma 1/2, I'm 12 episode in and it's not quite what I was expecting. There's a steady increasing number of reappearing annoying characters within it that seem only to exist to sabotage our protagonist. This wouldn't be so bad if these characters were recognised as antagonists by the main cast, but Akane appears to be always oblivious to everything especially Ryouga's actions.

Does this show get better? If not I am tempted to drop it, as Ryouga especially with the other form and Akane's ignorance is really getting on my nerves.

I've been watching Ranma 1/2, I'm 12 episode in and it's not quite what I was expecting. There's a steady increasing number of reappearing annoying characters within it that seem only to exist to sabotage our protagonist. This wouldn't be so bad if these characters were recognised as antagonists by the main cast, but Akane appears to be always oblivious to everything especially Ryouga's actions.

Does this show get better? If not I am tempted to drop it, as Ryouga especially with the other form and Akane's ignorance is really getting on my nerves.

It's a sitcom, so while there is a small amount of character development over its run you are going to be extremely frustrated if you are hoping for the silly situations to resolve any time soon (if ever). Ryouga is a long term foil for Ranma so if you can't stand him you're probably going to find a lot of the other side characters equally grating. What were you expecting from the series, out of curiosity?

R

It's a sitcom, so while there is a small amount of character development over its run you are going to be extremely frustrated if you are hoping for the silly situations to resolve any time soon (if ever). Ryouga is a long term foil for Ranma so if you can't stand him you're probably going to find a lot of the other side characters equally grating. What were you expecting from the series, out of curiosity?

R
One of my main gripes is smart characters being dumb or the plot won't happen. I'm referring more specifically to Akane and not releasing who P-Chan is regardless of all of the evidence, heck even other family members seen him change multiple times already.

This feels like something she should have solved within an episode or two at most, but I sense that they're going to drag that out for 100 episodes.

One of my main gripes is smart characters being dumb or the plot won't happen. I'm referring more specifically to Akane and not releasing who P-Chan is regardless of all of the evidence, heck even other family members seen him change multiple times already.

This feels like something she should have solved within an episode or two at most, but I sense that they're going to drag that out for 100 episodes.
For all the great things about Takahashi's comedies, they can be very frustrating if you want progress. Once she establishes a situation or gag, it usually remains set in stone for all time. As much as I love Urusei Yatsura, it could be maddening for this, stubbornly refusing to progress relationships in any meaningful way even in the final chapter.

The only long-form Takahashi story from that era that had actual progression was Maison Ikkoku, and even that could spin its wheels a lot.

Back